Sponsored by:

944 Crapcan Enduro Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 02:06 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 944 Crapcan Enduro Tires

Hey! Long time, no...running race car. My 944 is back together, so I'm entering it in a 24 Hours of Lemons race at MSR-Houston in November. It's technically two long races — one 8-hour and one 6-hour — in one weekend, but it still needs to run for multiple hours at once on 190+ treadwear tires.

Previously, I've been pretty happy running Dunlop Z3s since Houston is frequently moist, but it looks like those are getting discontinued. My daily (a heavier Lancer that's not an Evo) has been on RE-71RSes lately and those seem to hit the sweet spot of "fun, but good in rain" on that car that the Z3s did on the 944. Would they also hold up on a stripped-out (somewhere between 2,600-2,700 lbs, IIRC) but base 2.5L non-turbo Lemons 944 for an enduro weekend?

Those are just the two I have experience with lately, though, but again, I've been away from crapcan enduros for a few years. What are crapcan racers with similar cars running nowadays?
Old 09-19-2024, 08:53 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 295 Posts

We've run the Hankook RS-4 on a few different cars including a 944. not the fastest but last a long time. Should last both days no problem.
Old 09-19-2024, 09:16 AM
Jared Rodeheaver
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjacoco
Hey! Long time, no...running race car. My 944 is back together, so I'm entering it in a 24 Hours of Lemons race at MSR-Houston in November. It's technically two long races — one 8-hour and one 6-hour — in one weekend, but it still needs to run for multiple hours at once on 190+ treadwear tires.

Previously, I've been pretty happy running Dunlop Z3s since Houston is frequently moist, but it looks like those are getting discontinued. My daily (a heavier Lancer that's not an Evo) has been on RE-71RSes lately and those seem to hit the sweet spot of "fun, but good in rain" on that car that the Z3s did on the 944. Would they also hold up on a stripped-out (somewhere between 2,600-2,700 lbs, IIRC) but base 2.5L non-turbo Lemons 944 for an enduro weekend?

Those are just the two I have experience with lately, though, but again, I've been away from crapcan enduros for a few years. What are crapcan racers with similar cars running nowadays?
Agree with the RS4 as they are like iron and never wear out. If you want a little more grip the Conti EFC is a good option and wears well. On sale at trackdaytire.com buy 3 get 1 pretty often. We ran the Falcon RT660 and that was decent as well. Just stay away from mucho macho tires!

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2024, 11:28 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

I was impressed with how well the Conti EFC wore at a 24 hour race.
Old 09-19-2024, 11:55 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,544 Likes on 2,108 Posts

Another vote for the Hancook RS4. Not the fastest, but we run them on the Miata and will go 8 hours easily so you don't have to waste time in the pits with tire changes. It would be pushing it for the full 2nd day depending on how long the enduro is.
Old 09-19-2024, 11:19 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

We could easily get 24 hours out of a hankook rs4. Not hte fastest, but consistent and last forever. I had zero complaints driving on those tires. RE71R and the current gen re71RS's I'm pretty sure were designed to be cheater tires for 7-8 hour enduros though.

Bridgestones are consistent enough over their life from start to finish that I felt no problems with changing them in singles or in doubles during pit stops to make the time allotted since changing 4 tires was a no go for us in the minimum time allowed for pitting. I tried that with r888r's once, and with dunlop starspecs long ago, and both times the car was an undrivable rapid fire drift machine every time I touched the gas near a corner.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:21 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

One set of RS4 or two sets of RE71RS if you want to go faster. Lots of other tires work depending on size/fit but those are what many teams use (as seen in above posts)
Old 09-21-2024, 04:03 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
We could easily get 24 hours out of a hankook rs4. Not hte fastest, but consistent and last forever. I had zero complaints driving on those tires. RE71R and the current gen re71RS's I'm pretty sure were designed to be cheater tires for 7-8 hour enduros though.

Bridgestones are consistent enough over their life from start to finish that I felt no problems with changing them in singles or in doubles during pit stops to make the time allotted since changing 4 tires was a no go for us in the minimum time allowed for pitting. I tried that with r888r's once, and with dunlop starspecs long ago, and both times the car was an undrivable rapid fire drift machine every time I touched the gas near a corner.
Iiiiiiinteresting. Which car were you running that needed to swap out the Star Specs mid-race? The Star Specs would last for a whole weekend on the 944 for us. Then again, I'm slow as ***** and the car is about as stripped-out as we could get it without digging into (and snipping a lot off of) the wiring harness.
Old 09-21-2024, 06:32 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Rx7s. The starspecs lasted a long time on those cars too (never drove the starspecs in a 24 hour enduro but I remember thinking they'd make it on one set). I found out not to run mismatch heat cycles on dunlops at a test and tune trying to use up the last of my starspecs with 2 new ones and 2 50% ones (new on the front was drift every corner, then swap new to the rear and it was understeer like crazy with a square setup).
The following users liked this post:
ninjacoco (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 12:29 AM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zhao
Rx7s. The starspecs lasted a long time on those cars too (never drove the starspecs in a 24 hour enduro but I remember thinking they'd make it on one set). I found out not to run mismatch heat cycles on dunlops at a test and tune trying to use up the last of my starspecs with 2 new ones and 2 50% ones (new on the front was drift every corner, then swap new to the rear and it was understeer like crazy with a square setup).
Ah! That makes sense, then.

Quick Reply: 944 Crapcan Enduro Tires