Sponsored by:

Passing under yellow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2024 | 04:04 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
In addition, odds are the pass was made because the other car lifted when the driver saw the yellow.
That is not a mitigating factor for the PUY.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
M13S (09-11-2024)
Old 09-09-2024 | 04:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
That is not a mitigating factor for the PUY.
Agree 100% I was just saying that it looked like the other driver saw the yellow and backed out.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
ProCoach (09-09-2024), Zhao (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024 | 05:02 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Drivers need to acknowledge the flagging stations on every pre race warm up laps , in case there were changes or any other circumstances.I always tried to keep the same flaggers for the same duties and series all weekend.
One year at Mosport they combined both groups for the Enduro, meaning there were Cup cars that were lapping 20 seconds faster than my SP2 car and as i entered corner 5 i was alone and coming out of 5C the flagger up the hill in turn 6 was frantically waving his blue flag … when i looked in the mirror i had two Cup cars coming at me , anyhow when i looked in the mirror and nodded my head they knew i saw them , i got passed on both sides as i kept my line!
The MMA crew at Mosport is among the best and the guy on the blue flag was definitely aware of what was going on …

Cheers
Phil
The following 2 users liked this post by wildcat077:
NaroEscape (09-09-2024), ProCoach (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024 | 09:58 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Agree 100% I was just saying that it looked like the other driver saw the yellow and backed out.
Looks that way to me too.

OP I'd say you got lucky. I was black flagged once for passing under yellow. I was first overall passing a backmarker apparently as they threw the double yellow, didn't see the yellow get thrown, blew by the backmarker, saw yellow at the next station and slowed down. Didn't matter and it ended my race. The guy you passed looked like he slowed way down which is why you passed him so easy; if I was him I'd be annoyed at getting passed for following safety rules.

I was also smoked hard by someone racing under yellow so not really a fan of pushing the ragged edge of the rules under yellows. 2 guys going hard under yellow caught a guy going slow. First fast guy slams on his brakes to not pass the guy, and the guy behind him has no where to go, dodges, and runs straight into my disabled car on the side of the track parked at the marshall station which is what the yellow flag was for.
Old 09-10-2024 | 08:54 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

The only flip side of this discussion is when there is a FCY and the driver in front of you throws out the boat anchor.

Sometimes a FCY can be a gift to bunch up the field again!
Old 09-10-2024 | 08:58 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, everyone, looking to make a learning opportunity out of this to be better for the future.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (09-10-2024)
Old 09-10-2024 | 10:08 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

The only flip side of this discussion is when there is a FCY and the driver in front of you throws out the boat anchor.
Yeah, I'm still (3 months later) dealing with this kind of situation, also from Road America, from an SCCA weekend, and trying to fight through some bad stewardship etc around such an incident.

Though that's under the SCCA GCR, not PCA rules, which may be different in those details - so I won't comment about this event.

It's not insignificant, and first rule is still DON'T CRASH...

(see the latest video on my Youtube channel if you need to see first-hand...)

Quick Reply: Passing under yellow?