Sponsored by:

Road America in GT4rs last summer, for Jakermc

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 11:22 AM
b16gsr
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
You're right there's definitely a lot of warnings put into your head about the Kink. At the same time rightfully so! Last year I saw an RS Americana go into the wall, and have seen a few others come close. I think what actually put the threat and thus mental weakness into my head was watching both IMSA and NASCAR at RA and seeing how relatively narrow and fast the track is through the Kink! So there's definitely a mental aspect there for sure!

Later turn in is a great tip, thanks.
I am still very hesitant in the kink, because that was a good friend of mine Auggie who put the RSA in the wall. He was ok, the car is being completely restored back to street duty and he bought a 991.2 manual GT3 to replace. its a mental game and you just have to commit to that later turn in to straighten it up.
Old 06-26-2024, 01:27 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by b16gsr
I am still very hesitant in the kink, because that was a good friend of mine Auggie who put the RSA in the wall. He was ok, the car is being completely restored back to street duty and he bought a 991.2 manual GT3 to replace. its a mental game and you just have to commit to that later turn in to straighten it up.
I'm glad to hear the car is getting put back together and he's doing alright.

Old 06-27-2024, 10:23 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 241 Posts

I simply think there is a big difference between racing and doing an HPDE with regards to accepting risk. I raced many times at RA, the Kink was taken full throttle and with complete acceptance of the risk. I was trying to win races and championships and at the track for a different purpose than someone taking a street car out for an HPDE. The risk/reward ratio doesn't balance well in the latter scenario, IMO. In high risk corners it's good to discuss what's possible, but I respect someone making a decision to leave something on the table to balance that ratio. Except when racing .. nothing left on the table there!
Old 06-27-2024, 11:03 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
I simply think there is a big difference between racing and doing an HPDE with regards to accepting risk. I raced many times at RA, the Kink was taken full throttle and with complete acceptance of the risk. I was trying to win races and championships and at the track for a different purpose than someone taking a street car out for an HPDE. The risk/reward ratio doesn't balance well in the latter scenario, IMO. In high risk corners it's good to discuss what's possible, but I respect someone making a decision to leave something on the table to balance that ratio. Except when racing .. nothing left on the table there!

"nothing left on the table"

I completely disagree with this attitude and statement for AMATEUR racing where perhaps you win one hoosier tire as contingency and a plastic $5 trophy. I see no reason we should be "taking Professional risk with amateur talent."

Every about 5 years I tour around the country racing SCCA majors/supertour races because I like seeing different tracks. I just completed my last swing of 7 races of the SCCA Supertour. I'm so disgusted I will probably never do it again because drivers are boneheads! I would have got more laps if I volunteered to drive the pace/safety car. At this time in SCCA history it seems that the "Waving double yellow" is the official flag of SCCA. Wet track or dry track this last weekend at Road America we had 9 run groups and there were no green to checker races without a full course caution. During a 25min qualy we never got a full timed lap because twice idiots hit the wall on the outlap! The freaking outlap! These guys should have licenses revoked. When 20+ cars crashed at Road Atlanta in march perhaps you can make some excuse since that track is 90% blind. But Road America is a simple track with simple basic turns. I wonder what ProCoach thinks about the carnage now rampant in SCCA club racing? I think ProCoach still races there?
Old 06-27-2024, 11:22 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
"nothing left on the table"

I completely disagree with this attitude and statement for AMATEUR racing where perhaps you win one hoosier tire as contingency and a plastic $5 trophy. I see no reason we should be "taking Professional risk with amateur talent."

Every about 5 years I tour around the country racing SCCA majors/supertour races because I like seeing different tracks. I just completed my last swing of 7 races of the SCCA Supertour. I'm so disgusted I will probably never do it again because drivers are boneheads! I would have got more laps if I volunteered to drive the pace/safety car. At this time in SCCA history it seems that the "Waving double yellow" is the official flag of SCCA. Wet track or dry track this last weekend at Road America we had 9 run groups and there were no green to checker races without a full course caution. During a 25min qualy we never got a full timed lap because twice idiots hit the wall on the outlap! The freaking outlap! These guys should have licenses revoked. When 20+ cars crashed at Road Atlanta in march perhaps you can make some excuse since that track is 90% blind. But Road America is a simple track with simple basic turns. I wonder what ProCoach thinks about the carnage now rampant in SCCA club racing? I think ProCoach still races there?

I think you took me far too literally. We agree, there should be different risks taken in Amateur versus Pro racing. Just like there are different risks between HPDE and Amateur racing. And on the street versus HPDE, if we want to take it further.
The following users liked this post:
fatbillybob (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 02:41 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by jakermc
I think you took me far too literally. We agree, there should be different risks taken in Amateur versus Pro racing. Just like there are different risks between HPDE and Amateur racing. And on the street versus HPDE, if we want to take it further.
I agree with you. I got a little too excited. But honestly this year in SCCA clubracing at the highest level has proven to be quite a cluster F wasting tracktime due to drivers running out of talent with no penalty for doing so. This year at Road Atlanta the lead up sessions to my Sunday race were so bad I skipped my Sunday race, went fishing and caught my personal best striped bass. I get back to the track to find in my race there was 1 black flag all with 10 mins put back on the clock then 2 full course yellows. On the second yellow they called the race because my group just did not deserve to be on the track! My group were not the only maniacs to race that weekend.
The following users liked this post:
jakermc (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 03:56 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

I agree with you. I got a little too excited. But honestly this year in SCCA clubracing at the highest level has proven to be quite a cluster F wasting tracktime due to drivers running out of talent with no penalty for doing so. This year at Road Atlanta the lead up sessions to my Sunday race were so bad I skipped my Sunday race, went fishing and caught my personal best striped bass. I get back to the track to find in my race there was 1 black flag all with 10 mins put back on the clock then 2 full course yellows. On the second yellow they called the race because my group just did not deserve to be on the track! My group were not the only maniacs to race that weekend.
It was the same at Road America last weekend
Old 06-27-2024, 04:08 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Yes I was there. I'm sure you would agree the guy driving the pacecar/safety car got the most laps.
Old 06-27-2024, 05:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Yes I was there. I'm sure you would agree the guy driving the pacecar/safety car got the most laps.
It was tied with the safety crews in the red pickups. Ugh what a schitt show
Old 06-27-2024, 08:22 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It was tied with the safety crews in the red pickups. Ugh what a schitt show
It has been like that all year since the opener at Sebring. Here is schitt show....Our race got called with time on the clock at the 2nd full course caution because all the tow trucks were busy getting the other wrecked cars from the previous sessions to their paddock spots otherwise they would have hot towed the wreck at canada corner and let us keep racing. I am seriously considering finding somewhere else to race where the game is "racecraft" not "chicken"...people say vintage is good but a 1970 911 or 60's corvette just does not thrill me.

Quick Reply: Road America in GT4rs last summer, for Jakermc