Sponsored by:

Airpod Pro Communicator - HPDE Instructing

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 07:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

About a million times better than all other options:

Zero Noise "INTREPID" Intercom - 2 Place - 2 Volume Controls (stableenergies.com)
The following users liked this post:
JTT (07-08-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 08:13 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm gonna be the simple solution to complex problems guy... And there is a simple solution to this:
You don't need a two way communicator.. Just get an open face helmet.

I've tried instructing with communicators and when they go bad, they go bad HArD. Nothing worse than static feedback when something slips out of it's connection point.

The students don't need to speak to the instructor, they just need to listen and follow instructions. What makes communication hard is the instructor in helmet trying to speak to the student.

Now before we get the safety crew screaming about how a closed faced helmet is safer than an open faced helmet... I mean, we are at a HPDE in enclosed sports cars. The drive to the track is probably more dangerous than anything that's happening on the track and you don't wear your helmet on the highway where the real danger is.

Give it a try. It's actually way more comfortable being in an open face.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:33 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

At a recent track event we were advised not to carry an iPhone in the car on track. Apparently the new operating system can detect excessive g-forces and will contact emergency services under the AI presumption that there has been an accident.
Old 07-08-2024, 10:46 AM
Locker537
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
At a recent track event we were advised not to carry an iPhone in the car on track. Apparently the new operating system can detect excessive g-forces and will contact emergency services under the AI presumption that there has been an accident.
iPhone
https://support.apple.com/en-us/104959

Android
https://support.google.com/pixelphon...-sos-on-or-off

You can disable the features, or leave the phone in the paddock. Fortunately, I haven't seen a false positive cause unneeded emergency services, but I've heard of it happening.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:24 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 300 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
I'm gonna be the simple solution to complex problems guy... And there is a simple solution to this:
I want to keep my face the way it is (despite complaints from others), so I have a full face helmet.

I’ve heard some tracks/clubs require full face helmets?
dan212 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 07:02 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts

I've tried instructing with communicators and when they go bad, they go bad HArD. Nothing worse than static feedback when something slips out of it's connection point.

The students don't need to speak to the instructor, they just need to listen and follow instructions. What makes communication hard is the instructor in helmet trying to speak to the student.

Now before we get the safety crew screaming about how a closed faced helmet is safer than an open faced helmet... I mean, we are at a HPDE in enclosed sports cars. The drive to the track is probably more dangerous than anything that's happening on the track and you don't wear your helmet on the highway where the real danger is.

Give it a try. It's actually way more comfortable being in an open face.
Yes, one of my track buddies also uses an open face helmet.
My ego is too fragile to be seen in one of those....LOL

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Yeah, our region tells folks to turn it off at the drivers meeting. I think we also tell them they are responsible for paying the fire truck or whatever when they show up, it seems to get everyone's attention.
Old 07-10-2024, 12:20 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Open face helmets are not legal in many states.
For good reason: Think air bags. Think crap flying into the car. Think crap in the car flying in your face.

I have used plenty of communicators that work well.

I also wear molded ear plugs to protect what is left of my hearing.
And I have instructed in many cars that are way too loud even for shouting.

Last_935 (07-10-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 09:05 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 821 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Yup, Trac Com for the win.

Have used mine with 100 students at least, and it still works as good as it did when new. Just keep a 6 pack of 9Vs' in the glove box and good for the season and then some....

Stay away from Chatterbox. Not sure why they are still being sold. Probably the price, but I see no other reason to buy that piece of crapola, and even that's not a good reason.
What are your thoughts on students buying their own communication systems? Your Trac Com worked extremely well the entire weekend during our sessions, very crisp, with more range if needed. The next full weekend with a new instructor, who used a different system, made things near impossible to hear instruction, even in the paddock. This possibly limited my in-car instruction during each session due to this issue (new batteries didn’t help) bc I feel it was little frustrating for the both of us, so we both just lived with it. I dont mind paying up to get a decent system while Im still getting instruction to ensure crisp communication, especially while Im getting free instruction.

I’d obviously go your route, and provide fresh mouth pierce communicator guards to any passenger.
Do you see any downsides to this plan?
Old 07-31-2024, 09:56 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I put a trac com in my car after my 2nd track day. This way i dont have to rely on others.
BoxKing (07-31-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 09:34 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
What are your thoughts on students buying their own communication systems? Your Trac Com worked extremely well the entire weekend during our sessions, very crisp, with more range if needed. The next full weekend with a new instructor, who used a different system, made things near impossible to hear instruction, even in the paddock. This possibly limited my in-car instruction during each session due to this issue (new batteries didn’t help) bc I feel it was little frustrating for the both of us, so we both just lived with it. I dont mind paying up to get a decent system while Im still getting instruction to ensure crisp communication, especially while Im getting free instruction.

I’d obviously go your route, and provide fresh mouth pierce communicator guards to any passenger.
Do you see any downsides to this plan?

no issues at all imho. i have had students with their own system and it worked just fine. a couple times it was better than mine and a couple times it was worse. relatively cheap investment though and one day when you become an instructor you have one less thing to buy!
BoxKing (08-01-2024)

Quick Reply: Airpod Pro Communicator - HPDE Instructing