Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weekend at VIR - Potomac DE

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2024 | 06:03 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Default Weekend at VIR - Potomac DE

Thought I would mention some items from this event, FWIW.

Boy, it was windy Friday and Saturday! Highest gusts I can remember while driving (maybe 45, even 50 mph). Really wanted to move the car to the right on the back straight at the high spot and the downhill section. Gave myself another car width to the edge of the track. Also felt it on the front straight just past the barn. Sunday was very calm in comparison.

Another great social time in the paddock and happy hour. Potomac really has the HH thing squared away. Thanks and kudos to the organizers and doers. Met some guys I had chatted with on this forum. Really friendly and helpful environment. I love tracking my car but I am not sure I would do it if the people weren't so good. Reminds me of golf. Some of the best fun is talking about the game (driving), when you are always better than you really are.

I did at least a dozen grid tech sets. Highly recommend this to anyone since it is critical in a volunteer-based event, and because you can learn things and help maintain safety. I encountered probably 5 cases of improperly restrained drivers, and even a couple instructors, although I attribute that to their rush from Black/Red to a student's car. The most common error was shoulder belts not being on top of the HANS saddles. So, it is important to be there and to check. You never know when it might make a difference.

First time driving with my wheels balanced using the 3M weight system. They never budged and did not require any racer tape. I highly recommend them if you can find a shop who uses it.

Again, another shout out to the instructors, many of whom also help run/lead the event. I was having some "lightness" in the rear end of the car during the uphill esses , so I asked a past instructor (also the owner at my regular P-car shop) to please drive a few laps with me. He quickly identified it as worn shocks (rear coilovers). Had another driver in White say that he saw the rear of my car really bouncing through there while he was behind me. So, the car goes in the shop tomorrow for coilover rebuild and slightly stiffer springs.

Being in the right seat of my car while the instructor drove it (pretty darn hard, I think) showed me a better line (mostly by taking more curbing) and that I should be more aggressive. Given that the rear was lightish it was a little unnerving but it didn't seem to phase him. Totally under control the whole time and he drove accordingly. I am sure it would have been faster if the shocks were up to it. Having done a lot of grid tech, I did notice a lot more instructors driving students cars than I have seen before. Perhaps because this track is so challenging for new folks. I hope it doesn't sound reckless of me, but I did then get a much better PB lap time Sunday morning. No wind, used the curbing, stayed aware of the rear end lightness yet still drove more aggressively. Never had any control/stability concerns because I was aware. Got down to 2:13.5, which was a 6 second drop from my last time at VIR. I think it just took some time and some example driving to get me there. It can be a scary track, IMO.

Last thing. Driving home on Rt 29 just north of Lynchburg, car on trailer. Doing about 55-60 since I had just passed a cop in the median. Speed limit is 60. Next thing I know, two cars pass me on the left (two lanes on each side of divided highway) going at least 125 mph. The kind of speed that you can feel the suction from. And I don't think there was ten feet between their bumpers. Five second slater, the cop is flying after them. I never saw any of them again, and I was looking for a crash. Absolute f**g insanity. This is why I much prefer the controlled high speeds on a track with people you can usually trust, versus the growing number of maniacs on our roads.

Sorry to blab away ... Hope everyone else had a fun and safe weekend. Cheers.
The following 4 users liked this post by steveP911:
dan212 (04-19-2024), FTS (04-20-2024), ProCoach (04-18-2024), th964 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-16-2024 | 06:14 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Was indeed a great 3 days for sure. Good seeing you pal. Nice job with grid tech. Seemed like you were there all weekend. Glad you enjoyed it.

The wind was nuts as you mentioned, but only in those 2 spots you mentioned. Top of the crest in back and the kink in the front. Really did push the car. My student felt it as well on Saturday. Freaked him out a little, just a little.

I also ran PB’s in the Cayman on Sunday but never got below 2:12:06. Damn .06

Happy hours were awesome. Potomac really does run fun and safe events.

You back next weekend for First Settlers?
Old 04-16-2024 | 06:32 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Was indeed a great 3 days for sure. Good seeing you pal. Nice job with grid tech. Seemed like you were there all weekend. Glad you enjoyed it.

The wind was nuts as you mentioned, but only in those 2 spots you mentioned. Top of the crest in back and the kink in the front. Really did push the car. My student felt it as well on Saturday. Freaked him out a little, just a little.

I also ran PB’s in the Cayman on Sunday but never got below 2:12:06. Damn .06

Happy hours were awesome. Potomac really does run fun and safe events.

You back next weekend for First Settlers?
No, my car will be in the shop. Hope everything is buttoned back up for WGI May 10. See you there? Thanks Bruce!! I love your enthusiasm and spirit at the track. Contagious.
Old 04-16-2024 | 06:48 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steveP911
No, my car will be in the shop. Hope everything is buttoned back up for WGI May 10. See you there? Thanks Bruce!! I love your enthusiasm and spirit at the track. Contagious.
That rebuild should be a couple weeks if they have everything they need in stock. You should be fine by Watkins.

I happen to be at Mid Ohio those 3 days with my region NNJR but I’ll see you again at SPM (June I think).

Of course, if my beloved NY Rangers make a deep run into the playoffs, I may be cancelling track events if there are home games at MSG that are timed wrong with the track events I have set up. We have season tix.
Family traditions take first priority so I’m
hoping for home playoff games that don’t conflict with track events I have set up.

Regardless, I will see you soon and hope to hoist a few back with you at those famous Potomac happy hours.
The following users liked this post:
steveP911 (04-16-2024)
Old 04-17-2024 | 10:12 AM
Brian @ LGR
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Could not have asked for better weather right?

Old 04-17-2024 | 10:22 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian @ LGR
Could not have asked for better weather right?
About as good as it gets for a 3 day event.
Sunny and dry and a bit windy to add some excitement. Perfect!!!
ProCoach (04-17-2024)
Old 04-17-2024 | 10:58 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

As has been said many times before, driving to and from the track is more dangerous than driving on the track.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jabs1542:
ANGST (04-18-2024), steveP911 (04-17-2024)
Old 04-18-2024 | 08:41 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

It was a great weekend , Good seeing Bruce, and meeting you Steve. and the other Rennlisters that were there. My first time at VIR, and you are correct it can be a little intimidating . I was fortunate enough to be paired with an awesome instructor. It took me until Sunday on my second session to feel like I was starting to "get it" . I left after that , I probably could of done another session or 2 , but about 2 hours into my drive home I am glad I left when I did .

@steveP911 ... tell me about this 3M wheel weight system .... I have tried everything to keep my weights on , I lost all of them on my left rear wheel and had an annoying vibration at 50MPH and even more annoying around 100mph . I had Quantum rebalance it and I told them they would not stay on , they fell off again after one session ( they taped them and cleaned them well ) . I have tried maybe 4-5 kinds of tape . I am getting ready to JBWeld them on next .
Quantum rebalanced that wheel again for me on the way out , so I didn't have to deal with it on the ride home, they are great guys .

Going home on 29 I saw a Medivac landing in a high school parking lot with someone getting loaded on . Then came up on the traffic , horrible motorcycle accident .... he didn't make it https://starexponent.com/news/commun...19e3e1c33.html
Old 04-18-2024 | 09:01 AM
Brian @ LGR
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

You need this stuff! https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...caAnvqEALw_wcB

3M Foil Tape for high temp. The key is cleaning the surface of the wheel where the tape is going, letting it dry a bit, and then using the tape with like a lot of overlay past the weights. Use a lot of tape. NO it's not pretty, but it works.

Old 04-18-2024 | 09:29 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian @ LGR
You need this stuff! https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...caAnvqEALw_wcB

3M Foil Tape for high temp. The key is cleaning the surface of the wheel where the tape is going, letting it dry a bit, and then using the tape with like a lot of overlay past the weights. Use a lot of tape. NO it's not pretty, but it works.
Yep, done that . I cleaned with wheel cleaner, brake cleaner , then scotch brite pad , then alcohol .

I even tried this tape ... https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgn...eating%20ducts. It seems to work a little better and is rated to 600 degrees. The other 3M tape is rated to 300

I am almost starting to think it's the finish on my wheels maybe ... Apex anthracite color.

Last edited by ANGST; 04-18-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2024 | 10:42 AM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Sorry about the wheel weight issue. I had that and it is unsettling to be at high speed with lots of wheel vibration.

Before the 3M system, I was able to get this approach to work, for the most part:
  1. Remove wheels and clean interior surfaces completely in the most aggressive manner you and your wheel finish can stand.
  2. Take the wheels (off the car) to the shop and have them high-speed balance them. This has to be a good shop, as you know. Preferably one that does a lot of track car wheels.
  3. Re-clean the weight area again, without disrupting the weights and their adhesive.
  4. Cover each weight with overlapping strips of
    Bertech High Temperature Tape, 1 Mil Thick, 1 Inch Wide x 36 Yards Long, Polyimide Film with Silicone Adhesive: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Bertech High Temperature Tape, 1 Mil Thick, 1 Inch Wide x 36 Yards Long, Polyimide Film with Silicone Adhesive: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    (I think this is Kapton).
  5. Cover that tape area with a good quality aluminum tape. I used this
    GIEHOUGRIO 17yd Aluminum Foil Tape High Temperature 3.15 Mil Foil Professional Adhesive Aluminum Foil Tape for Dryer Vent, Ductwork, AC Unit, Furnace, Water Heater, 2 inchx17 yd: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific GIEHOUGRIO 17yd Aluminum Foil Tape High Temperature 3.15 Mil Foil Professional Adhesive Aluminum Foil Tape for Dryer Vent, Ductwork, AC Unit, Furnace, Water Heater, 2 inchx17 yd: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
I did not experience problems with this approach, but it was a bit of work.

I had my wheels balanced by SSI Auto, and Sloan told me about their 3M system. I checked my weights throughout the VIR weekend and could not see any movement or loss. No tape of any kind over top of them.

I think this is the basic kit used to apply balancing weights. Wheel Weight System Starter Kit | 3M Automotive | 99100 (toolsource.com) It is not cheap. And I am not sure if you have to use a balancing system (computer?) that is compatible with the 3M stuff or not. Maybe best to search around and see if there is a local shop that offers it. I am so glad to not worry about this anymore. A PITA and a drag on improving one's driving.

Very nice to meet you at VIR. Hope to see you again in the paddock and the track. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2024 | 05:07 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Sorry I wasn't able to hop in the right seat this weekend. It was good to catch up and chat a bit though. I am glad your car and new motor are running well.
@ANGST I was paddocked right next to you the entire event (Silver 996 #27) and shame on me for not speaking. I think you had Martin as your instructor? He's a great guy and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoyed VIR and good luck with the wheel weight challenges. I have those same wheels and haven't had any issues with the wheel weights staying attached. I use Radial Tire here locally for all my tire mounting and balancing. Hopefully i'll have an opportunity to properly meet you at the next event I attend.
PCA Potomac @ VIR was great event with a great group of drivers, instructors, and volunteers. The weather could have been better, but it also could have been a lot worse, so no complaints from me. Hope to see some new and familiar faces at PittRace in late June!
The following 2 users liked this post by KJinDC:
ANGST (04-18-2024), steveP911 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024 | 08:12 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KJinDC
Steve,

@ANGST I was paddocked right next to you the entire event (Silver 996 #27) and shame on me for not speaking. I think you had Martin as your instructor? He's a great guy and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoyed VIR and good luck with the wheel weight challenges. I have those same wheels and haven't had any issues with the wheel weights staying attached. I use Radial Tire here locally for all my tire mounting and balancing. Hopefully i'll have an opportunity to properly meet you at the next event I attend.
Yes, Martin was terrific . I'll be sure and say hi to you next time I see you. The next event on my schedule right now is Potomac Mid-summer at SPM .

VIR is an amazing track and I hope to do it again soon .
ProCoach (04-18-2024)
Old 04-20-2024 | 10:27 PM
steveP911
Rennlist Member

Default Best Lap of the Weekend

Here's laps 8 and 9 on Sunday morning. Lap 9 was a clear PB at 2:13.5. Really pleased with that and I give a big amount of the credit to Sloan P who drove my car end of the day Saturday.

The following 2 users liked this post by steveP911:
ANGST (04-21-2024), ldamelio (04-20-2024)

Quick Reply: Weekend at VIR - Potomac DE