Watkins Glen GT1,2,A C2/3 notes

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Watkins Glen GT1,2,A C2/3 notes

Perfect weather. Rick DeMan had the pole most of the weekend turning 1:55:3. Rick completed 5 laps in the sprint, not sure what happened. Steve Savino had the race locked up and ran out of fuel in the last lap. Sprint was won by the best looking car in the paddock (IMHO) Norm Goldrich GT1R GT2 993. Good job Norm. Tim Rosengrant was the first 996 Cup over the line.

Good to be back on the track although I was a little reserved. Qualified 2nd in class with a 2:09:9. Joe Ilacqua was first in 2S at 2:07. My sprint race went well
as I came in first in class. Enduro start was great but I blew something between the transmission and the wheels in turn one. Had a great view for watching the race.

Like all races there was some bad luck and good luck.

Thanks to GT Performance for doing a great job putting my car back together and set up. Thanks to Glen, Hank, Gennady.... who talked me out of my mental state after the big crash.

Great Racing!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:22 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unofficial results posted:

http://zone1.pca.org/2004%20Porsche%...%20Results.pdf
Old 06-14-2004, 02:11 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill,
Great race.... I work at the shop that prepares Joe's car (Performance Automotive) and he said you two had a great race! Good to hear you're back in the saddle.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill;

Despite several attempts in the few free moments I had, I never found you at home on Sunday (my only day there). I figured I'd look for you since your car is so distinctive. For your sake, I am glad you got back out there and "chased the beast out of your mirrors," mechanicals notwithstanding... Coming in on the strap was the last I saw of you. Too much pit gear to load!

It was a good weekend for my guy (Dan Galyon/GTC3). Two 3rds. Not bad for not having driven in 9 months.

Finally, and at the risk of beating a dead horse, I want to further commend you again for chronicling your saga in public. It has always been my feeling that far too little thought is given by far too many people to the risks involved in driving swiftly. You doubtless have given pause for reflection to many people by being so forthcoming. I think that is a great gift to give.

Old 06-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John, There was a silver GTC3 next to me on the grid for the Sprint Race. I had been around him several times during the practice sessions and thought he had a concerning driving style. After 4 laps or so of the Sprint Race that car was hard into the armco on the back side of the bus stop. Very hard hit. Hope he is OK.

Mitch,
Joe was several seconds a lap faster than me. He had better corner speed and exit speed. My slight advantage in acceleration was not enough in practice and qualifying. Racing... I caught up to him before the yellow flag. After the restart we were both heading down the back straight with Joe a car length (or two) ahead. As we entered the braking zone Joe could have had any line he wanted but took the inside and I had the faster outside entry. I got by Joe and Ken Lubell before the checker. Way fun.

Last edited by Dbltime; 06-14-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:35 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill,

It was very nice meeting you at the Glen. I hope you fixed your throttle sticking issue. Thanks for the kind words on the look of my car. Your car is very cool looking too...

The weekend started out not so fun - my first couple sessions, the front end was bouncing up and down under full throttle going up the hill - so I was quite a bit off the pace.

After some very good input from both Rick Deman (a great driver and nice guy, as well as Kelly Moss), I adjusted the front shocks (nitrogen pressure and rebound) and dialed out the scary bounce. I was then able to get down to a consistent reasonably quick time. (1:57). That was my first time with the car there (and my 6th time driving it ever), so it was very fun. Now I'm ready to start the weekend again. I can tell there is still another few seconds I can drop once I get comfortable with the car and track.

By the way, the last 3 laps, Steve and I had a great race about a car length apart around the whole track. It was very sad on the last lap that he ran out of gas. I know, I did the same thing at MidOh. But both he and Rick were_very_ quick. I will have my work cut out next year :-)

Group 4 was a fun group of people to run with. Many fast drivers.

Looking forward to the next race.

Norm
Old 06-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Norm, Do you and Rick have to file flight plans with the FAA turning those lap times? Are you racing the Summit Point NASA GTS event July 10/11? If so I will see you there.

The sticking throttle was pretty pathetic. Myself and two shops looked at this problem over and over at CMP and in the shop. We were looking beyond the obvious. Jack Gildorf (Phils Dad) walks up and says "Hey I got some lube for that linkage". Done fixed.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:02 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats Bill!!
Old 06-14-2004, 04:03 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, I wont be at Summit, but I will be at

July - SCCA MidOhio
July - PCA Putnam Park
August - NASA MidOhio

Good luck at Putnam. BTW - Sometimes the obvious is the most overlooked. BTDT...

Will you be at NASA - MidOhio ?

Norm
Old 06-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

My schedule is Summit Point NASA, Beaver Run, Summit Point, VIR, CMP (the return)... maybe Roebling Road, all PCA. I am working on a 2004 Safe Racer patch. I promised my wife I would make the cut. . I feel like a cub scout.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:57 PM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 204 Posts

Hi Norm/Bill,

Congrats to you Norm on a great effort....and to you Bill for keeping your nose clean...it was nice to finally meet you..

I was very disapointed in the outcome of that race for me..I had quite a lead on Savino and was making it bigger when I was about to lap the last place car....a GT3 cup car in turn 11. The driver never even bothered to look to his right and turned right into me!!! Bent my front rim and flatened my tire... end of the race for me!!! And to make it even worse they gave me a 13 penalty!!!!! OUCH

Oh well...that's racing...

The weekend was still fun and we had some of the best weather ever at the Glen....there is always next year..

Norm you have to come to the Mosport club race!! Savino and myself have vowed to rematch there...July 30th or so..check it out Just as much fun as the glen..if not more!!

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 06-14-2004, 09:01 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill,

Way to go dude! Sorry I had to leave Watkins to get back here for a trial (which actually started today), so no chance to see you race. Even though I rushed to get my physical completed for a competition license, there is no way I could get ready in time for WGI as my first club race. I don't know if I'll ever be ready, but Lime Rock in September might be more reasonable. I did get to spend some time in the garage with Mark Lee, outstanding young man. Did you two hook up?

Rick,

I saw your fastest (of all competitors) lap time and figured something untowards must have happened to your car - otherwise I'm thinking you win going away! I'll try to call you tonight or later this week. I can't get the 968 down to your shop until friday (maybe saturday). Talk to you.

Richard
Old 06-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats to Bill and all who participated in the Porsche Clash. I hope to make it up from Atlanta next year...
Old 06-15-2004, 08:57 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rick,

Great & fast driving on your part! Sorry about the misfortune. You deserved the win...

I guess I fell into the phrase - better to be lucky than fastest :-)

Norm

Quick Reply: Watkins Glen GT1,2,A C2/3 notes