Sponsored by:

Garmin Catylist Mount Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024 | 01:15 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Garmin Catylist Mount Ideas

I saw one mount over the radio area anyone else using this or is it most common to use the windsheild suction mount?
Old 02-11-2024 | 02:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Garmin does not recommend mounting that low in the cockpit because the antenna array is on the upper forward facing surface on the back of the unit.

It's recommended not only that the antenna be placed under the clear opening of the windshield, but also be able to see the horizon at least 90-120 degrees, which means the top third of the unit above the dashboard cover.

It does make a difference to the quality of the information collected, hence the audio and post-session coaching.

Here is their short video on preferred mounting.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-11-2024 | 02:11 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you Peter. I will follow your advice. Hope to see you at the track soon! T.Roy
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-11-2024)
Old 02-12-2024 | 04:07 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

i have a custom mount for mine over the stock headunit and no issues after a couple years there. it's a 2" wide small plate that wraps around the sides and mounts similar to one of the rennline phone mounts. never use the radio on track anyway...

i'm not saying my way is the right way or only way but it is a way that does not impede operation.
Old 04-11-2024 | 05:34 PM
pasyou2
Rennlist Member

Default Dash mount Garmin

I pulled radio and made a mount in car. Our PCA is not allowing window mount when instructor in car due to air bag turning them into WMD’s. Agree- had an in track incident at a recent event and a car with window mount deployed air bags and the Garmin busted the windshield. No issues with function at first event—- which had lots of storm activity/ cloud cover.
Old 04-12-2024 | 10:13 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Show me your sat survey page…
Old 04-12-2024 | 10:51 AM
nineball
Burning Brakes

mine is in the same location and i've never had a problem. no shot of the sat page but i'll be happy to take one in 2 weeks when i'll be at mid-o.

Old 04-12-2024 | 12:35 PM
pasyou2
Rennlist Member

Default Sat Page

No shots-worked fine. Not launching guided missles, just driving.
Old 04-12-2024 | 02:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Again, the advanced voice coaching, grading of how much of the width of the track you use, the specific points where the radius begins, apexes and ends, what path you take on track out (how soon you release the car), assembly of the optimal lap and most of what allows the device to do it's job to the best of it's ability is dependent on GPS signal quality.

Garmin was one of the first vendors of consumer grade GPS equipment decades ago. They are the ones asking for specific mounting, not me.

Here's the information for the survey page: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...oa5wUYJ3QypUCA

Old 04-12-2024 | 04:14 PM
pasyou2
Rennlist Member

Default Sat page

Will check next event. I had originally used on window and have me degradation of function in new location. Voice coaching, virtual laps, fastest line length, speed,apex and brake points all good. The redundant satellite input helps here I am sure. Great tool to make sure you are working on something every lap:session.
Old 04-12-2024 | 06:15 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Again, the advanced voice coaching, grading of how much of the width of the track you use, the specific points where the radius begins, apexes and ends, what path you take on track out (how soon you release the car), assembly of the optimal lap and most of what allows the device to do it's job to the best of it's ability is dependent on GPS signal quality.

Garmin was one of the first vendors of consumer grade GPS equipment decades ago. They are the ones asking for specific mounting, not me.

Here's the information for the survey page: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...oa5wUYJ3QypUCA

all true and all work just as they should mounted over the headunit in my photo at multiple tracks up and down the east coast. they can "ask" for whatever they want however that does not mean a unit will not work if not mounted exactly as they state. i am living proof (and there is at least 1 other out there, so thanks passyou2!).

Quick Reply: Garmin Catylist Mount Ideas