VIR Club Race Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 10:47 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
While the June heat was not fun, at least there wasn't a lot of competition at the time (before WGI date moved). Now there is and I think people are having to pick one over the other.

But they are. Sebring was WAY down this year (the only PCA race held so far).

I want to think positive but the numbers are not looking good for 2024.
I hear you on the date and venue proximity. That's always been an issue for me spanning so many DE, track day and racing groups, dating back to when I filled two semi tractor-trailers with cars twenty-six weekends out of the year.

Conflicts are only getting worse as more and more organizers appear on the calendar. Unfortunately, the conflicts are usually dictated due to track availability, not the organizer.

Attendance may be way down in PCA Club Racing, but it's not elsewhere. VIR will be rented over 335 days this year (some two-course rental days, plus there are about seven weeks of an "off-season"), with lists of waiters for most weekends.

Seems busy and on a continuous upswing for me and for my business. Murry is doing well, Apex Driving is doing well, GMP is doing well, there's a LOT more people doing this than pre-pandemic. My first quarter projections are way up over last year, and I don't even have to travel anymore.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
tgsmith4845 (02-23-2024), wellcoached (03-04-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:55 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

I guess I'm speaking more to club racing organizations vs. track days. BMW club racing is down too. NASA is holding steady but doing less events this year down here in SE.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following users liked this post:
Matt Romanowski (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 11:23 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I don't know, maybe legacy programs are the ones taking the hit after being stagnant for so long. The money it takes to prepare, let alone run in some of the BMWCCA Club Racing modified classes can exceed the price of a new GT4 car! All the M2 CSR's have gone there. It's a far cry from a bunch of friends racing E36's and 2002's.

Vintage and historic racing, both for-profits like SVRA and HSR and clubs like VDCA, VRG and VSCDA continue to grow. ChampCar and Lemons are rolling on, WRL is sold-out most of the time within hours, AER is chugging along.

Where I see the BIG growth is single-make stuff. The new Ginetta series, the new Revolution, Radical, IGT, Ferrari Challenge, Lamborghini Super Trofeo, GT3 Cup and now the Porsche Sprint Series is very strong, REALLY strong.

I guess if people are going to spend the money, they want a premium experience, not the same old, tired thing. SCCA went through that years ago, and they're still in decline. I think the old marque club programs, along with NASA, are next.

As an aside, you and Nadine are some of the best gear suppliers out there.

But I don't miss that business at all. It's turned cut-throat, with every Tom, Dick and Harry with a website selling their wares.

Like club-level/entry-level pro private coaching, I got in on the equipment business early, made hay, provided good value and got out. Don't miss the hardware side.

OTOH, I'm hired a lot more now by clubs, organizations, teams and drivers to help them simply navigate their increasingly capable but complex equipment and software, learn to distill and prioritize the information that they collect and learn how to create an action plan for the next session.

Very satisfying, that work... Sorry for the off-topic rant.
993944S2 (02-23-2024), tgsmith4845 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 11:47 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
One issue I see is the closeness of the Road Atlanta and now COTA races. While the June heat was not fun, at least there wasn't a lot of competition at the time (before WGI date moved). Now there is and I think people are having to pick one over the other. Sadly I'm in that camp and I'm doing Road Atlanta this year.

But they are. Sebring was WAY down this year (the only PCA race held so far).
I can tell you from our business and talking to people that the cost of racing is getting out of hand, so I see a lot of people cutting back. Registration fees are up, tire costs have skyrocketed, fuel costs, other at-track fees (especially VIR) are all adding up to making a weekend 50% or higher more expensive than just a few years ago.
I know it's only 2 months in, but our sales are down by 25% over last year already. All our manufactures are starting to badger us about taking more inventory because it's not selling and sitting in their warehouses.
I want to think positive but the numbers are not looking good for 2024.
I see a lot of these people at AER and Champ races. I run a couple of these races a year and the total cost of the weekend, including food, lodging, travel, gas, parts, etc., is about a set of tires. Hard to compete with this.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:50 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Racers have more choices than ever before, none of them are inexpensive. Costs and distance affect how often someone races far more than the price of an individual event you wish to race at. Racer participation is up in total but that total is spread across more sanctioning bodies than 5 or 10 years ago. PCA Club Raing has shrinking car counts because its's losing racers to everything from IGT to WRL, AER, Champ Car and others. BMW Club Racing is trying to change it's structure to be more appealing while PCA adds even more classes to increase it's appeal.
ProCoach (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 02:31 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

This probably only effects a few potential entrants such as myself but I would be 100% in if there had been a Test and Tune the day before. As a CR rookie I've never driven VIR, to come down and go from a couple practice sessions right in to qualy doesn't sound like a great time. I had never driven Summit Point or Sebring but having the T&T the day before helped HUGE in trying to get up to speed by the time Qual and Sprint came. I know there's a Dave Murry event the days before but that becomes cost prohibitive for some. Even if you know the track the TnT adds another driving day to the weekend at a very reasonable cost and makes the full commitment more of a cost/track time value.
Old 02-23-2024, 02:39 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BFT3.2
As a CR rookie I've never driven VIR, to come down and go from a couple practice sessions right in to qualy doesn't sound like a great time.

I know there's a Dave Murry event the days before but that becomes cost prohibitive for some.

Even if you know the track the TnT adds another driving day to the weekend at a very reasonable cost and makes the full commitment more of a cost/track time value.
That’s such a shame, that because there’s not a “reasonable” T&T day before one of the busiest and one that provides the most track-time days in club racing (the Friday of any PCA Club Race) that you decide not to go to an event. PCA Club Racing certainly wins the track time competition with almost all other events on Friday.

If you can’t come up to speed in all those sessions plus the Fun Race (they still run those, right?), then you get good practice passing people in both Sprints and then slay ‘em in the Enduro when you’re up to speed.

I don’t mean this post as a slam, but I have to say that even some PCA Club Racers don’t know how good they have it.

Frank 993 C4S (02-23-2024), GT3DE (03-18-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 03:12 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

No fun race anymore (which I think is a huge mistake)
3 practice then qualifying.
not everyone gets up to speed at a new track quickly. I ALWAYS do the T&T on a new track. Or at least do a recon DE event in advance. I’m even trying to do a day or so at RAtl before I do the race because I haven’t been there in 2 years, and I’ve driven it on and off since 2007…
Yes we in PCA have it great with track time, but sometimes a few sessions just isn’t enough to feel comfortable on such a big track (I still don’t at VIR after 20 years!)

Last edited by NaroEscape; 02-23-2024 at 03:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by NaroEscape:
BFT3.2 (02-23-2024), LuigiVampa (02-24-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:20 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

This probably only effects a few potential entrants such as myself but I would be 100% in if there had been a Test and Tune the day before.
Just making sure you didn’t miss that there is a 2-day David Murry event that Wednesday and Thursday. Open track. In fact I think there are driving events for the consecutive 6 days prior if you really want prior track time.
Mikelly (02-26-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:20 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

This probably only effects a few potential entrants such as myself but I would be 100% in if there had been a Test and Tune the day before. As a CR rookie I've never driven VIR, to come down and go from a couple practice sessions right in to qualy doesn't sound like a great time. I had never driven Summit Point or Sebring but having the T&T the day before helped HUGE in trying to get up to speed by the time Qual and Sprint came. I know there's a Dave Murry event the days before but that becomes cost prohibitive for some. Even if you know the track the TnT adds another driving day to the weekend at a very reasonable cost and makes the full commitment more of a cost/track time value.
It's hard to run your Rookie race at a track you have never been to even with a T&T day beforehand because the experience can be a bit overbearing. Just pick a track that you have been to before for your first race weekend. Lime Rock is just around the corner! BTW - personally, I usually don't get up to speed until the Enduro anyway.
ProCoach (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:28 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I guess I've been deprived. Test & Tune days before and contiguous with race weekends began to appear slowly only in the last decade, much more common in the last five years.

I put this down to event cost, time value when traveling to races and a general interest in getting better value out of the time and money commitment of a race weekend, as you point out very well.

Typically in SCCA Double Nationals or Super Tour events, we get a combined 15 minute practice/qualifying and a 40 minute or so race each day.

In vintage/historic, we got two twenty minute practices, one twenty minute qualifying and three races over the three days. Two sessions a day, plus an extra cost Enduro.

In pro racing, you get one practice, one qualifying (often abbreviated) and the race.

It has been a fundamental tenet of top level coaching to stress a) how to learn and optimize your driving on a track you don't know (or know to the point of the order and severity of the corners) and, b) how to practice and execute coming up to speed REALLY quickly, i.e. the first or second flying lap, in qualifying and the race.

In spec racing, the results from the race can hinge completely on driver performance over the first and the second hot lap after the green.

I don't know any top-level pros and consistently high level club racers that don't practice or focus on developing these skills.

So many drivers don't do their quickest lap until well into the session or the race. Those folks don't finish up front and often progress in improving their driving performance much more slowly, generally. They may ultimately turn a very quick lap in comparison with the rest of the field, but by then, the field has moved on.

Something to think about. Track time used to be so rare, there was no "pounding around" for the sake of doing laps, it was all done with supreme focus and significant commitment. Every corner, every lap.

Yes, PCA Club Racing has it AWESOME with track time, for sure.
GT3DE (03-18-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:29 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Another option for VIR is to join the HPDE alongside the race. That equals a ton of track time in what may already be an overwhelming race weekend, but it is an option for those looking for some more casual test sessions.
ProCoach (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 04:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Difool
Just making sure you didn’t miss that there is a 2-day David Murry event that Wednesday and Thursday. Open track. In fact I think there are driving events for the consecutive 6 days prior if you really want prior track time.
Seven days. NASA Mid Altantic Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Rob Orlando Monday and Tuesday and Murry Wednesday and Thursday.

He mentioned David Murry was an option but might be cost prohibitive for some...
Old 02-23-2024, 05:01 PM
Jared Rodeheaver
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
It's hard to run your Rookie race at a track you have never been to even with a T&T day beforehand because the experience can be a bit overbearing. Just pick a track that you have been to before for your first race weekend. Lime Rock is just around the corner! BTW - personally, I usually don't get up to speed until the Enduro anyway.
This is an excellent point. It would definitely be easier to have a rookie race at a track one has been to. Eliminates one big variable... As a rookie I would have to wait until Watkins Glen if I wanted to race at a track I've been to. I debated between VIR and LRP with LRP being half the drive and a "simpler" track to come up to speed on it seemed less intimidating.
Old 02-23-2024, 05:37 PM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 69 Posts

I meant "rookie" as in new to Club Racing, my rookie race was last fall at Summit and then Sebring a few weeks ago, both tracks I had never driven but the TnT helped me get comfortable and up to speed come qualifying or race. Again Im speaking for myself in this specific instance and not commenting on why #'s are down or claiming that PCA doesn't offer adequate track time on a race weekend. Yes the DM days prior is a great opportunity and the parallel running DE is there as well.

To some of Peter's points, what you described is exactly what happened with me at Sebring, my first sprint I was 3 seconds faster then my qual after the first lap and held that time but like you said half the field was already gone, didn't matter as I had a great time racing the guys around me and made some passes, loved it.

Last edited by BFT3.2; 02-23-2024 at 05:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BFT3.2:
Jared Rodeheaver (02-23-2024), ProCoach (02-23-2024)

Quick Reply: VIR Club Race Update