Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 01:43 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rick Bye Injury

Dear Racing Enthusiasts,

I have just heard that Rick Bye was involved in a serious accident about 11 days ago while returning from a press day in a Porsche Carerra GT. I don't have many details, but there was a head-on collision on an overpass near Cornwall, Ontario at moderate speed. Both Rick's legs were severely injured, including a knee joint that required replacement. The driver of the other vehicle reportedly did not survive.

I am told that Rick is now home and faces some months of recovery and restricted movement. I am sure you all join me in wishing him a speedy recovery.

For those less familiar with the Canadian racing scene, Rick has raced Porsches for over 20 years and is currently in charge of the Press Fleet for Porsche Canada. Bye is perhaps best remembered for his success in in the Rothman's Porsche Turbo Cup series and his top ten finish at the Rolex Daytona 24 hours a few years a go.

I am trying to contact Rick's family to get an address and/or email to pass on to his friends and fans. I will keep you informed of my progress in that regard.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

While I dont know Rick, I will wish him a full, speedy recovery..

God Bless

Get well Rick!
Old 06-11-2004, 01:29 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enough already!

To the Car Gods - Give the poor man a break!

Best wishes to him for another strong recovery.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

J*sus! Rick was seriously injured in a crash some years back and survived by a miracle. It was not on the race track, rather while on the road pulling a rig with the car in a trailer. Now, another crash on the public roads. Enough already! Rick - a speedy recovery - and do your driving on the track where it's safe!
Old 06-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Al P.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although Rick's injuries certainly don't sound minor the carbon fiber tub apparently protected him fairly well considering the fate of the other driver.

Get well soon!

Quick Reply: Rick Bye Injury