Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advise: Moton Club Sport or Koni 2812?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Yellow Jacket
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advise: Moton Club Sport or Koni 2812?

I am running a 1989 944 Turbo S E class race car and am looking at upgrading the suspension. I am considering the Koni 2812 and the Moton Club Sport. I have heard good things about both, but see more people running the Club Sports. I would appreciate any feedback or recommendations.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YJ - I may get shot by a Koni fan out there but I'll give you my $.02. I went through this exact decision process last year (was also doing Racer's Edge bushings, Kokeln sway bars & adj camber plates) and for quite awhile was leaning towards the Konis.
My logic at the time is that they seemed adequate for my needs and I didn't want to cut into my car too much in order to mount the remote resevoirs for the Motons.
I did get some people to respond to my queries and heard stories of various issues with the Konis - leaks, uneven valving and need for premature service not to mention that by design a remote resevoir shock will perform better over the long run.
So, I chose the Motons and am very happy with them; my installer put them in and was able to locate the rear resevoirs underneath the car and not cut into the interior at all. The resevoirs for the fronts are tucked away in the engine compartment. I've found them to be very easy to adjust, the car handles great and I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:14 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

YJ:

Although I confess to some bias (we are a Moton dealers & service center) IMHO, Motons are THE only way to go.

There really is no comparison,...

The quality, performance, and product support are far far better.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I had Motons on my 944 turbo GT3S and was very happy with them. Easy to adjust too.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:32 PM
Yellow Jacket
Track Day

Rick, Steve and Alan:

Thanks for the input. I too have heard great things about the Motons. I am a little leary about learning what nitrogen rates to run and spring rates, but you've got to start somewhere!

My current Koni front, Bilstein rear arrangement with 450# front and 350# rear springs is the ultimate flexible flyer"!!

Thanks again for the comments!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:37 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Motons!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Dave E
Pro

I put on the Motons and I'm really happy. Lex has been great with customer support as well, knowledgable and returns calls promptly in the rare occasion that he doesn't answer directly. My only gripes would be the difficulty in adjusting the rear rebound(under the car with a 2mm allen unable to see the little holes on the adjuster) and no swivels on the cans, which makes mounting a little harder. I just did two days at lime rock and was able in two sessions to have handling I couldn't believe. I could stay flat through the uphill, rebound damping kept the car stuck, even in the Skip Barber race cars a little wheelspin happens here. through the bumpy concrete patches in the corners the traction was great. I haven't tried the Koni's, but for the money I would choose the Motons again in a second.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the Koni 2817 and 2812 on my car...as a matter of fact it was the test fit car for the application. We sent the car to Koni USA for the fitment on a 944 Turbo and they tested the car on the track as well. I've put a number of miles on it since and can hopefully speak with some knowledge of the application and how it works. I won't get into the reservoir vs. non-reserovir debate but suffice it to say the Koni doesn't believe in external reservoir...even on the 2812 and now 2822 which are their highest end race shocks used in F1 and just about any other top line professional race series. Certainly these shocks are in a different league than the more street oriented Koni applications. People tend to push what the sell (funny how that works) but don't discount this application. We have them in stock too.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com

Quick Reply: Need Advise: Moton Club Sport or Koni 2812?