Difool
Rennlist Member

Duplicate. …. Grrrrr
Old 01-11-2024 | 03:15 PM
Bman
Racer

Originally Posted by Difool
go do a team O’Neal course!!
X2!! The typical days starts off learning how to use your left foot to make the car turn. Soon you're driving a slalom course using your left foot to turn the car. So much fun!
Old 01-11-2024 | 04:48 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
LFB is a tool in the toolbox. Some cars pedal layout and foot box require it.

Is it a must? Given that fact that well-practiced and near perfectly executed conventional RFBers routinely beat less perfect LFBers every day, it really boils down to “how well do you execute?”rather than the technique itself.

A great deal of LFBers begin with that technique in karts, some transitioning from auto transmission street cars to track cars do so as well.

Given that the brake pedal is the BEST and most effective tool for governing and adjusting weight distribution on the only four connections with Mother Earth, the tire contact patches, LFB can offer a more sensitive and nuanced rate of transfer of that weight distribution.

Can it make you quicker? Only if you are doing executing the entire procedure at least as well or more likely, BETTER than you RFB.

If you’re interested, I recommend practicing very assiduously all the braking exercises you did to hone your current braking technique, AFTER practicing extensively on the street to develop the feel for pressure and more importantly, eliminating as much as possible the inevitable overlap between throttle and brake application, which is common in the beginning.

But then, on the track, start with areas that require little slowing, as opposed to a lot. This is the most common use for LFB I see on track. Threshold or heavy braking (getting rid of more than 25-30 mph or so) stays with the dominant, trained and practiced foot. For places like Turn 5 and Turn 16 at Sebring, you begin there using LFB.

Again, while there are statistical and topically beneficial differences in the speed and distance covered between throttle and brake applications using LFB, the practical benefit is limited to how well the car responds when the choreography of the pedals is correct.

That choreography, and the car, doesn’t know the difference between LFB and RFB, in my experience.
Agree with Peter and alexfilsinger. I switched to LFB about a year ago mainly because of ergonomics especially when sharing a GT car with other drivers. Transition was pretty seamless and quickly became second nature and physically easier in many ways. However, you need to able to generate the same high peak brake pressures as the right foot. In a GT3 car, this in always in excess of 100 bars in threshold brake zones., Otherwise, any advantage is lost. I don't find myself "tapping the brake to set nose" and things as such at all.

Last edited by MSR Racer; 01-11-2024 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MSR Racer:
dan212 (01-12-2024), ProCoach (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024 | 05:03 PM
jerome951
Drifting

I started using LFB in my old 944 Turbo. It had a lot of turbo lag, so lifting off the accelerator pedal was the last thing I wanted to do for decent lap times.. So, anytime I needed to brake but not downshift I would LFB.

It took a while to develop dexterity in my left foot as its only prior role was clutch action. I did some seated exercises (e.g. rolling a basketball around with my left foot) and forced myself to use LFB when driving an auto trans on the street.
Now, I brake on the street exclusively with my left foot (when driving my auto cars). In the SPB I only use it when I need to set the nose or scrub a bit of speed without downshifting.

As others have said, it's a good tool to have for the times when it would be useful.
Old 01-11-2024 | 06:12 PM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Not exactly what the OP had in mind, but I do use LFB to drag the brakes while simultaneously applying throttle, at the beginning of an out-lap to help build temp faster
The following 2 users liked this post by Jas0nn:
LuigiVampa (01-12-2024), ProCoach (01-11-2024)
Old 01-11-2024 | 08:16 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Another necessary tool.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-11-2024 | 10:08 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

When left foot braking, one thing to watch out for is what I call "phantom clutching".

I left foot brake all the time in my formula car, as these Hewland gearboxes shift fine without using a clutch. However, we sometimes find small brake pressure spikes in the data when I am upshifting. It seems that I am so used to manual shifting in street gearboxes that my left foot automatically wants to push down when I shift, and if my left foot is poised over the brake pedal, I get a small pressure spike, even though I would swear that I never touched the brake. It is hard to overcome decades of reflex action.

So, check your brake pressure on upshifts if you are a left foot braker.
The following users liked this post:
Matt Romanowski (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2024 | 10:13 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jas0nn
Not exactly what the OP had in mind, but I do use LFB to drag the brakes while simultaneously applying throttle, at the beginning of an out-lap to help build temp faster
Yeah, this technique also works well when heading for the start / finish line and waiting for the green flag to wave.
Old 01-12-2024 | 03:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
When left foot braking, one thing to watch out for is what I call "phantom clutching".

I left foot brake all the time in my formula car, as these Hewland gearboxes shift fine without using a clutch. However, we sometimes find small brake pressure spikes in the data when I am upshifting. It seems that I am so used to manual shifting in street gearboxes that my left foot automatically wants to push down when I shift, and if my left foot is poised over the brake pedal, I get a small pressure spike, even though I would swear that I never touched the brake. It is hard to overcome decades of reflex action.

So, check your brake pressure on upshifts if you are a left foot braker.
I've seen similar from bumps and other things where the "dangling" left foot isn't dangling anymore.
Old 01-12-2024 | 06:49 AM
jerome951
Drifting

I also LFB to check for brake pressure on straights after certain corners which tend to cause pad knockback. But that is more of a quick, light stab.
The following 3 users liked this post by jerome951:
993944S2 (01-12-2024), analogmike (01-12-2024), Jas0nn (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 09:19 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've seen similar from bumps and other things where the "dangling" left foot isn't dangling anymore.
Don’t you think that’s more of an issue of not having proper heel support? One of the reasons for raised floors.

Originally Posted by jerome951
I also LFB to check for brake pressure on straights after certain corners which tend to cause pad knockback. But that is more of a quick, light stab.
That wouldn’t be considered LFB because it’s not a braking event.
Old 01-12-2024 | 11:55 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I concur with Peter's points in this thread. I am as good LFB (in cars where clutching is not needed) as I am RFB, but I know plenty of other fast drivers who never LFB. Neither is "better", IMO
ProCoach (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 02:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Don’t you think that’s more of an issue of not having proper heel support? One of the reasons for raised floors.
No after extensive investigation
Old 01-12-2024 | 02:26 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
Yeah, this technique also works well when heading for the start / finish line and waiting for the green flag to wave.
You see that @Steve113 ? You wait for the green flag to wave.

Just want to make sure you are set for this coming race season.
Veloce Raptor (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024 | 04:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
You see that @Steve113 ? You wait for the green flag to wave.

Just want to make sure you are set for this coming race season.

Relentless...

Quick Reply: Left foot braking