Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 Scrs

Old 06-08-2004, 11:24 AM
waitsda
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 Scrs

I am thinking of building a 1984 SCRS (3.0 L) replica for PCA Racing (class C). I have seen some engine specs (250) and a few photos but not many details. It was light (2100 lbs). Does anyone have extensive specs for this car such construction materials (fiberglass fenders/hood?) interior photos (pull up windows vs. cranks)? This should be a fun car since you can lighten it and modify the engine and still be in a stock class! Of course you have 3.6 Turbos and GT3’s in your class!

PS I was working Barber this weekend, AL Region PCA Member, thanks to all that came, a tough track to learn, but beautiful.

Regards, David
Old 06-08-2004, 12:33 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David, the SCRS is one of my favorite 911's, I almost bought one seven years ago but was scared off by the idea of repairing so much crash damaged aluminum. As I recall, the doors, hood, fenders and tail were all aluminum and I think the bumpers and valances were also unique. There are a couple of good articles reprinted in in the Porsche 911 Carrera and Turbo Gold Portfolio 1984-1989 by Brooklands, they might have had some good photos of the interior and engine compartment. Good luck with the project, the car was a monster in its time!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:37 PM
waitsda
Track Day

Default SCRS

Thanks,

PCA requires the same material, so I can't use fiberglass fenders, etc. AL is out to the question (can you even get it?) so that may kill the idea. Intresting but it seems the actual weight was 2300, PCA allows 2156. ti woudl eb tough to get down to 2156 without major mods like glass everthing. It seems PCA is using the racing weight, not street version. They go by power to weight, so at 2300 the car is out classed (in it's class).

David
Old 06-08-2004, 01:01 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,
I dug out the articles, both seem to indicate the car weighed around 2300lb but was to run in Gruppe B which would have allowed 2117lb. Apparently the 2300lb was achieved with special lightweight glass and an aluminum roll cage which I would also file under the unobtainable classification. I don't race but believe that PCA lets later cup cars run with non-stock replacement panels for aluminum, if I'm right it might only be because these are not replica cars in the first place?
Old 06-08-2004, 01:17 PM
waitsda
Track Day

Default SCRS

Good point. I know in the stock classes they are pretty strict. I am emailing with Lance, the PCA race rules head so we will see. I think the SCRS weight PCA is listing is incorrect (2156) and 230o shoudl be used, but hey, how many real SCRS's are being PCA raced, zero I bet. I want to build a replica but if I am stuck with factory steel no way to get to 2156. A GT3 is in the same class (C). I like the idea since I can build up my 3.0 for min $$. PCA has strange displacement breaks, 2.8, 3.4, none of which was a production displacement.
Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1984 Scrs