Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tree smashed my Cayman R - 996 GT3 good replacement tool for driver development?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 11:58 AM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a 996 gt3 that I track a few times a year. It would be a great driver development tool. I won't beat a dead horse but the lack of driver aids and overall nature of the car make it more of a challenge than any other porsche I have driven.

That said, I get most of my track time in a miata and every time I get back into the gt3 I am faster because of the miata. Currently I have a caged NC but I really developed with my NA spec miata (recently sold). There are plenty of excuses with the NA: its slow, no abs, short wheelbase. I feel spoiled now in the NC with ABS and the longer wheelbase is much more confidence inspiring in high speed corners. But really any Miata will do. Something about tracking a cheap, low powered Miata is liberating. Running costs are cheap and if you smash it up so are replacements. I get its not for everyone, but if you are serious about developing as a driver I highly recommend trying a miata. There is a reason they are a cliche track car.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:04 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by zaccdre
Good insights. In what ways did you feel it contributed to your progress today? Cup cars are crazy value but being able to drive to and from the track is important to me right now, but maybe some day down the line when I have some space for a truck and trailer, and a little more patience for hauling it around.

The shock tower issues (which may be overblown) have put me off of a GT4. Nothing about the hobby is cheap but, the cost of rotors and pads for a GT4 were surprisingly high last I glanced, and my heart loves the feel and charisma of the GT3's engine over the 3.8 in the 981. The difference in price between a GT4 and a mid-mileage 996 GT3 is close enough (fornow) that its hard not to cross shop them.
For the same reasons mentioned above. No PSM/TCS, terrible ABS, and woefully undersprung suspension tied to a high revving Metzger engine. What could go wrong lol?

IDK about worrying about the GT4 shock towers. If you are tracking a car there's always something breaking...if it's not that then on another car it will be something else.

Good luck with your search.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,918 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by zaccdre
Appreciate all the advice!

The shock tower issues (which may be overblown) have put me off of a GT4.
Not sure I've seen that except for one time, definitely way overblown.

That one that was someone who slammed the leading edge SQUARE-on of a high, concrete curb so hard it DID punch through the right side tower (Turn 9, VIR). Broke the wheel, too.

And, I've worked with hundreds of 981 GT4 and 718 GT4 street and dozens of GT4 race cars for eight years.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-08-2023, 09:25 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
For the same reasons mentioned above. No PSM/TCS, terrible ABS, and woefully undersprung suspension tied to a high revving Metzger engine. What could go wrong lol?

IDK about worrying about the GT4 shock towers. If you are tracking a car there's always something breaking...if it's not that then on another car it will be something else.

Good luck with your search.
Yes. I think 996 GT3 is a bad idea for the same reasons.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:43 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 95 Posts

My 996 GT3 was the most fantastic, most alive track car I have ever driven. Driven well - its amazing!
Old 11-09-2023, 10:47 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by 177mph
My 996 GT3 was the most fantastic, most alive track car I have ever driven. Driven well - its amazing!
Alive is a good way to put it. Mine always seemed ANGRY for some reason.

Quick Reply: Tree smashed my Cayman R - 996 GT3 good replacement tool for driver development?