Sponsored by:

Data analysis on this mistake? Hit the wall at Watkins

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 01:10 PM
gh0st
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data analysis on this mistake? Hit the wall at Watkins

Driving a stock NA Miata on street tires trying to gain some ground on a friend who just got an NB. Had a little red mist and did not make small adjustments to my driving. Added too much sauce going into the bus stop (10mph), started fishtailing at the exit, spun and hit the outside tire wall. I'm having a hard time piecing together what exactly happened. I remember going towards the 3rd set of curbs on the inside and the car sliding more than usual. Then I remember the car breaking to the right and thought it was going to spin. At this point I remember my foot over the brake pedal (I may or may not have pressed it) and the car changed directions to the left, then back to the right and that's when I put both feet in and slid backwards into the wall.

Looking at the data I think I panicked when the car was sliding a little bit and I lifted. If you lift in a slide I'm assuming that can initiate fishtailing? And then I exacerbated it by possibly hitting the brake? I normally slide a lot in here so I'm not sure what was different this time around to cause my lizard brain to panic.

Blue line is speed, green is lateral accel (left/right), yellow is longitudinal accel (forward/backward), purple is gsum. The washed out colors are from a previous lap for comparison. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/D8CzXu5Mzhc

Just looking to process what I did wrong here
Old 08-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 495 Posts

Tough to make any constructive comments on your data without video. That third curb eats tires and sometimes cars but maybe you were already in trouble before that from your description.
The following 2 users liked this post by Frank 993 C4S:
dgrobs (08-02-2023), ProCoach (08-04-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 02:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Sorry that happened to you and glad you are ok. That's obviously the most important thing.

As for the hit, Two Words:

Too much of the 3rd curbing.

That 3rd curbing (2nd one on the left) has thrown more cars into the wall than I care to remember. I have my students just "clip" that 3rd curbing for just that reason.

Some video would be really helpful.

Again, glad you're ok.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:28 PM
gh0st
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Some video would be really helpful.
I wish I had video. I had the gopro in the car, but just didnt turn it on. Would have been very helpful in this scenario. I'm very grateful for tire walls. Hitting a tire wall at 35mph felt hard, I can't even imagine what that would have been like if I hit the armco.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gh0st
I wish I had video. I had the gopro in the car, but just didnt turn it on. Would have been very helpful in this scenario. I'm very grateful for tire walls. Hitting a tire wall at 35mph felt hard, I can't even imagine what that would have been like if I hit the armco.
My one impact (knock wood) at The Glen a few years ago was into the Armco between 7 and 8.
Control Arm snapped (or so we think), and the car made a left turn smack into the wall.
No time to react.
It felt just about how you would expect it to feel. Not Good!!
Would have much preferred a tire wall. (Obviously would have preferred NO wall at all, but if I had to choose.......)
Old 08-02-2023, 03:02 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts

If you take a lot of the third curb, and your car is pointed straight, the car normally handles it (some more than others). If you take a lot of that curb, and also have the wheel turned, the back end can step out on you pretty easily. That outside wall is hungry and has eaten a lot of cars.

The bus stop can be tricky - you alter something too much, such as your angle coming in or your speed, and if you don't modify what you are doing to account for that change, bad things can happen. As Frank said, its hard to tell without video.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (08-04-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 03:06 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
If you take a lot of the third curb, and your car is pointed straight, the car normally handles it (some more than others). If you take a lot of that curb, and also have the wheel turned, the back end can step out on you pretty easily. That outside wall is hungry and has eaten a lot of cars.

The bus stop can be tricky - you alter something too much, such as your angle coming in or your speed, and if you don't modify what you are doing to account for that change, bad things can happen. As Frank said, its hard to tell without video.
IIRC from my last track walk there, there is one turtle on that 3rd curbing that is higher than the ones around it and that's what can throw a car into that exit wall if your wheel is even remotely turned. Caveat Emptor.....
Old 08-02-2023, 03:18 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 1,616 Posts

IIRC from my last track walk there, there is one turtle on that 3rd curbing that is higher than the ones around it and that's what can throw a car into that exit wall if your wheel is even remotely turned. Caveat Emptor.....
I never noticed that but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

I never noticed that but it wouldn't surprise me.
I will take pictures of it this weekend at the track walk with GVCBMW.

It isn't much higher, but it is higher than the ones aorund it. Nasty little surprise waiting for folks who like that 3rd curbing and don't know about that turtle.
Old 08-02-2023, 03:22 PM
gh0st
Cruisin'

Looking at the GPS data it looks like I completely missed the 3rd curb, but did hit the 4th curb. Maybe slid onto the 4th curb and it upset the car? This is the stock suspension so it's really soft, I think they're 154/97lbs springs. Maybe they were loaded and hit the bump stops? I need to get a camera that continuously runs so I can't forget to turn it on.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:14 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

It sounds like the car initiated a slide at least in part due to excessive speed, you may have lifted which would certainly have further unsettled the car. That situation alone could bring the rear around. Hitting aggressive curbing while in that state adds to the challenge.

Glad to hear the only damage was to the car.
ProCoach (08-04-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 09:39 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

It’s a little hard to tell, but there is a point right at peak lateral G where all of a sudden you start to get lots of longitudinal G. That tells me you hit the brake. The overhead view is not high enough res to say exactly where this happens, but it’s definitely near the 3rd rumble.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Not a function of steering input so much as throttle position: Drop throttle at or before the third curb and you’re done.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

stownsen914 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 06:57 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by stownsen914
It sounds like the car initiated a slide at least in part due to excessive speed, you may have lifted which would certainly have further unsettled the car. That situation alone could bring the rear around. Hitting aggressive curbing while in that state adds to the challenge.

Glad to hear the only damage was to the car.
^^THIS^^
Old 08-04-2023, 06:59 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by gh0st
Looking at the GPS data it looks like I completely missed the 3rd curb, but did hit the 4th curb. Maybe slid onto the 4th curb and it upset the car? This is the stock suspension so it's really soft, I think they're 154/97lbs springs. Maybe they were loaded and hit the bump stops? I need to get a camera that continuously runs so I can't forget to turn it on.

I would NOT count on logger GPS as absolute lateral positioning on any sort of map overlay, only RELATIVE position to another lap in the same session, on the same day. THIS is why video is key.

Quick Reply: Data analysis on this mistake? Hit the wall at Watkins