Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great PCA Potomac weekend at Summit Main.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023 | 06:30 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Default Great PCA Potomac weekend at Summit Main.

Another great weekend and event by PCA Potomac at Summit Main. We dodged the rain forecasts all day Friday and Saturday. Rain/thunder storm finally caught up to us early Sunday afternoon. I only had one session left so packed the canopy and stuff quickly into my 2013 Boxster S before the rain hit. Hosted 30+ kids on Saturday and gave them parade laps. Really hot on solo Friday with almost 2 hours of track time. Worried about sun burn and kept on long sleeve. Got pretty overheated even with plenty of water. Saturday not as hot, but shorts, tee shirt and sun screen. My son said I need a "UV" long sleeve shirt. Time to push the button on the FCPEuro cart for new front and rear Sebro slotted and Pagid yellows.
Old 07-10-2023 | 09:13 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Absolutely! I had an amazing time at the track. Fortunately, I managed to squeeze in two sessions in the morning before the rain hit. I even had the opportunity to join the white group (I'm usually in the blue group) before lunch, so I completed two out of the three scheduled sessions on Sunday. The community of enthusiasts at the event is always fantastic, and I'd like to extend my gratitude to the volunteers. My son even had a blast volunteering for the grid. Now, our next goal is to find him a better car so he can start driving on the track as well!It was great to see some of the NNJR people there as well. They were such a fantastic group when they hosted me at NJMP Lightning back in April.

PCA truly puts a strong emphasis on the educational aspect of HPDE events. While I can solo sessions with Chin, TrackDaze, HOD, and Autointerests, participating in PCA events has shown me how much more there is to learn. It makes me wonder about the skill level in the solo groups of other organizations.

On a side note, I've been running Hankook RS-4s for a while now, and it's been a bit frustrating that they didn't even list my rear size, 275/40/18, for the longest time. However, I recently noticed that they finally appeared on Tirerack. While discussing it with a friend on the way to the track on Sunday, I was seriously considering ordering a set to have on hand before they disappear again. Interestingly, during my second session on Sunday, my instructor mentioned that my tires seemed heat cycled out, so that question was answered. I should have new tires arriving tomorrow, which is perfect timing.

Black 718 Cayman GTS #31 ( blue )

Last edited by ANGST; 07-10-2023 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ANGST:
dgrobs (07-11-2023), steveP911 (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023 | 10:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

What a great group of folks, Potomac!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 07-10-2023 | 11:50 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ANGST
Absolutely! I had an amazing time at the track. Fortunately, I managed to squeeze in two sessions in the morning before the rain hit. I even had the opportunity to join the white group (I'm usually in the blue group) before lunch, so I completed two out of the three scheduled sessions on Sunday. The community of enthusiasts at the event is always fantastic, and I'd like to extend my gratitude to the volunteers. My son even had a blast volunteering for the grid. Now, our next goal is to find him a better car so he can start driving on the track as well!It was great to see some of the NNJR people there as well. They were such a fantastic group when they hosted me at NJMP Lightning back in April.

PCA truly puts a strong emphasis on the educational aspect of HPDE events. While I can solo sessions with Chin, TrackDaze, HOD, and Autointerests, participating in PCA events has shown me how much more there is to learn. It makes me wonder about the skill level in the solo groups of other organizations.

On a side note, I've been running Hankook RS-4s for a while now, and it's been a bit frustrating that they didn't even list my rear size, 275/40/18, for the longest time. However, I recently noticed that they finally appeared on Tirerack. While discussing it with a friend on the way to the track on Sunday, I was seriously considering ordering a set to have on hand before they disappear again. Interestingly, during my second session on Sunday, my instructor mentioned that my tires seemed heat cycled out, so that question was answered. I should have new tires arriving tomorrow, which is perfect timing.

Black 718 Cayman GTS #31 ( blue )
Me thinks your tires were cycled out BEFORE you got there on Saturday...lol. (40 cycles is a lot for any tire).

Great event with some great people.
Unfortunately, my brand-new high-pressure fuel pump **** the bed Friday morning early, so I didn't really drive at all the three days.
I stayed to instruct and had a great time with that. Good student, lots of improvement, and lots of learning. My reward for staying the whole 3 days and not driving. Thanks to my student for making it a great weekend for me.

Still bummed I couldn't take my student out for a ride along as my car wasn't going anywhere. Next time.

Thanks to Potomac for another stellar event. Great to see lots of my NNJR brethren down there. I think there were almost 30 of us.
Old 07-10-2023 | 12:01 PM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Me thinks your tires were cycled out BEFORE you got there on Saturday...lol. (40 cycles is a lot for any tire).
I just called Tirerack this morning and going to have them do their heat cycle on them , see if that makes them last longer like they say it does.
Old 07-10-2023 | 12:04 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ANGST
I just called Tirerack this morning and going to have them do their heat cycle on them , see if that makes them last longer like they say it does.
It is supposed to add a few more cycles to the life of the tire. Be curious if you find that to be the case. Let us know....
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023 | 12:35 PM
shizon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dgrobs

Great event with some great people.
Unfortunately, my brand-new high-pressure fuel pump **** the bed Friday morning early, so I didn't really drive at all the three days.
I stayed to instruct and had a great time with that. Good student, lots of improvement, and lots of learning. My reward for staying the whole 3 days and not driving. Thanks to my student for making it a great weekend for me.

Still bummed I couldn't take my student out for a ride along as my car wasn't going anywhere. Next time.

Thanks to Potomac for another stellar event. Great to see lots of my NNJR brethren down there. I think there were almost 30 of us.
As I mentioned at the event, the mentality you have, the dedication to your student's experience, and the joy you find in the right seat are all reasons I love sharing the paddock with you. Great job and thanks!
The following users liked this post:
ANGST (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023 | 12:41 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shizon
As I mentioned at the event, the mentality you have, the dedication to your student's experience, and the joy you find in the right seat are all reasons I love sharing the paddock with you. Great job and thanks!
Awww...now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Very much appreciate the talk at lunch yesterday. Even us instructors appreciate the positive feedback. I know I do.
You guys run great events, and the focus on learning is very evident.
Why you guys turn out the drivers and instructors you do. Very similar to NNJR and Niagara in that respect. The focus on learning leads directly to the focus on safety as they go hand in hand.
Potomac is one of my sister regions for good reason. You set the table and I eat. Love it.

Quick Reply: Great PCA Potomac weekend at Summit Main.