Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche's performance @Lemans 2023 venting..

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023 | 07:04 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr.Valero
In Fassbenders defense he drives much better than that and he´s putting in the seat time, training and all that but started at middle age...
yes, hes miles away from being in the same class as kogay, so I don't mean to disparage him, but he does have an uphill battle with me because he's likely driving above what his skill level would allow him to due to being able to buy his own racing seat wherever. I respect the talent not the name, gender/race, or pocket book.

Similar to how I don't respect danica patrick for using being a woman to drive above her skill level. I personally would find it very embarrassing getting as much attention as her with a race record like her. Or that girl in indy car who's CEO husband bought her a race seat and she'd get black flagged for being too slow constantly.
Old 06-13-2023 | 07:48 PM
Der Stig
AutoX

Not downplaying the Corse engineers - apologies if I came across that way. With the F1 cuts to spend, I figured they would try and find a way to get them involved in hypercar. As mentioned, full marks to the whole Ferrari team.
Old 06-13-2023 | 08:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Proof of ProCoach's theory that the race picks the winner.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/06/13/...of-a-squirrel/

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 06-14-2023 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
plafondles (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023 | 12:03 AM
Zhao
Drifting

We have a ground squirrel problem at one track, and they love nothing more then to stand on teh side of teh track, wait for a car to approach, and commit suicide on it.
Old 06-14-2023 | 01:36 AM
Mr.Valero
Track Day

Default Unfair advantage

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Having recently read Mark Donohue’s book I can certainly believe that Roger will make it his highest priority to win next year’s race. I can’t wait to watch the total domination
I'm reading it and loving it right now, Respect!
Mike Roblin (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023 | 07:24 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der Stig
Last weekend looked a lot like 2014 for Porsche. Lots of fanfare about the return, big disappointment. Full credit to Ferrari - I am wondering if building their own car and using their F1 engineers helped?

Congrats to team Rexy for the podium. Also, the Iron Dames had a great run - too bad they are going with Lambo next year.

I expect there will be some uncomfortable meetings at Porsche in the next couple of weeks. Heads will roll over the hypercar results. I bet the same thing happened after 2014 LMP. But - they hit it out of the park in 2015 - and I have a feeling we will see the same thing in 2024.

Plus, the new GT car should help.

Interesting to see some of the great results from former Porsche LMP drivers - Bamber, Hartley, Jami, Dumas. Maybe Porsche needs to entice some of them back to the fold for hypercar. Absolutely nothing against Estre et al - they are legends. And, I obviously don't understand all of the moving parts involved in driver contracts and the shift to private only GT campaigns - but maybe the move from GT to hypercar is not easy?
Respectfully disagree. Night and day difference from the 2014 LMP project. The technical rules were way different and Porsche went in with a full factory effort. Performance was based on applying technology to the rules. So happy to have seen those cars race. This new "hypercar" effort to me, looks a lot like the old Grand Am series - which Porsche was not very competitive. They now have to hope for a favourable BOP and that their supplies get their components corrected. Wish they would have went the same way as Ferrari for their hypercar.
Old 06-14-2023 | 08:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Proof of ProCoach's theory that race picks the winner.

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/06/13/...of-a-squirrel/
Yep, not one but two pivotal moments for the winning Ferrari. How many folks are aware it spent a couple minutes in the gravel trap? And almost didn’t restart the last pit stop?

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne.../10481772/amp/

And Toyota whines about an extra 13 kg perhaps costing them the margin of victory?!?!?

Ummm, no…
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Carlo_Carrera (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023 | 08:59 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Someone who I worked with once said it was “hundreds of heart attacks, all in one day…”
Carlo_Carrera (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023 | 12:32 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Attending 6 Hours of the Glen as a guest of Porsche Penske. Can't wait to see these cars in action.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nizer:
Matt Romanowski (06-14-2023), Mr.Valero (07-10-2023), ProCoach (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023 | 12:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yep, not one but two pivotal moments for the winning Ferrari. How many folks are aware it spent a couple minutes in the gravel trap? And almost didn’t restart the last pit stop?

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne.../10481772/amp/

And Toyota whines about an extra 13 kg perhaps costing them the margin of victory?!?!?

Ummm, no…
I was watching when they couldn't restart and thinking......so this is how the Ferrari prototype team throws away a win. They had had the same problem earlier in the race and had to cycle the car. Luckily, they got moving again.
Old 06-14-2023 | 01:15 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I was watching when they couldn't restart and thinking......so this is how the Ferrari prototype team throws away a win. They had had the same problem earlier in the race and had to cycle the car. Luckily, they got moving again.
The complexity of these cars is astounding. I think the manual on the regulation data system is something like 54 pages long specifying multiple CAN networks and more. There is a quote from one of the GTP team owners stating how it's been the younger crew members who are more computer savvy that have made the difference in their program. Heck, Wayne Taylor said that he joined with Andretti partly because of the manpower required out of the complexity of the cars.
Old 06-14-2023 | 02:17 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach

I don't think it's possible for most people here to accurately contemplate all that is required to do this, much less execute without error. Hats off to these guys. At least they're out there, and it was one of the pros that ended their race.
So true.
Old 06-14-2023 | 02:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

They tried hard enough to make the scrutineers work https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...r8oWnIBk8XWIX4

Quick Reply: Porsche's performance @Lemans 2023 venting..