Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cool Shirt not cooling on track. High G Load Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 05:06 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by M13S
Until they aren't .... At LRP on Memorial Day, it was in the low 80s with low humidity. Filled up the cool suit with ice and water per spec and my unit has a larger retrofitted bilge pump, so it pumps. It was ice cold for 15 minutes and warm after 25-30 minutes. That's worthless in a 1-hour race. Would rather have some cooling than nothing.
Thats' odd. I've run 90 minute enduros at VIR on the hottest day of the year (anyone that's raced the June VIR in the past knows what I mean) and had ice at the end. And I only use the 13 qt cooler.
Now...knowing it was hot and figuring I'd have no chance of ice lasting, I would switch it on and off periodically. But I felt fine all race so it did it's job.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

The following users liked this post:
M13S (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 05:13 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
Thats' odd. I've run 90 minute enduros at VIR on the hottest day of the year (anyone that's raced the June VIR in the past knows what I mean) and had ice at the end. And I only use the 13 qt cooler.
Now...knowing it was hot and figuring I'd have no chance of ice lasting, I would switch it on and off periodically. But I felt fine all race so it did it's job.
This has been my solution too being someone who drives in unbearable heat more often than not
The following users liked this post:
M13S (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 07:03 PM
Estoril
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
I added a "LiveWell Timer" to mine with the control **** on my seated right. These are used to keep bait aerated. Various products can be set to different "On" and "Off" timed cycles. I adjust mine on the fly during the session. I did it mostly to keep from getting too chilled, not because I was going through ice too quickly.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:35 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Bilge pumps are self prime.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:39 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

One thing I've always thought about rigging up was true temperature controlling and monitoring through our AiM system. Would be just like any other system - stick a temp sensor in-line, have it control the pump based on a set temperature. Even a simple cycle on and off would be pretty easy. May play with that over the summer. (I feel like Matt Romanowski with trying to automate and monitor things that are just as easy doing manual!).
Old 06-12-2023, 07:28 PM
erliuic
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by M13S
Until they aren't .... At LRP on Memorial Day, it was in the low 80s with low humidity. Filled up the cool suit with ice and water per spec and my unit has a larger retrofitted bilge pump, so it pumps. It was ice cold for 15 minutes and warm after 25-30 minutes. That's worthless in a 1-hour race. Would rather have some cooling than nothing.
I'm not sure if that's inherently a Coolshirt issue. Could it be where the box is mounted? Not sure what the issue is, but we've used a Coolshirt in 4 different cars and have never had an issue with the ice melting like that, even in 100+ degree days. We put in ice to the top and enough water to circulate but not too much so the ice melts slower.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:49 AM
M13S
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by erliuic
I'm not sure if that's inherently a Coolshirt issue. Could it be where the box is mounted? Not sure what the issue is, but we've used a Coolshirt in 4 different cars and have never had an issue with the ice melting like that, even in 100+ degree days. We put in ice to the top and enough water to circulate but not too much so the ice melts slower.
Mounted next to me in the passenger seat well. Added a large bilge pump and switch it on an off while racing. It's fine for a 2-25 minute stint. doing 1 hour is no bueno. Doesn't matter I'm going to chillout anyway.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:33 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

Most of my racing was in the southwest and summer temperatures often hit 100+. I used a 5-gallon Igloo cooler with 4 inches of water and filled with ice. On really hot days this would last about 20 minutes and I found myself praying for the white flag. Eventually I tried putting a block of dry ice on top of the ice in the cooler. This made it last through a 30-minute sprint. The dry ice was kept in a separate small cooler with the blocks wrapped individually in newspaper. It would last the entire weekend.
Also ice warms up from the time of purchase. It's probably minus something when you get it from the commercial cooler at the store but it heads toward 0 C as it sits in your cooler at the track and the cooling power of the charge later in the day isn't the same as just after purchase.

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt not cooling on track. High G Load Issue?