Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Brake Scoops on 944S???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004 | 12:03 PM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default 968 Brake Scoops on 944S???

I heard a rumor that the little 968 brake "scoops" that are attached to the A-arm can be bought and bolted onto the arms of a 944. TRUE???

Where would one get them? I was told they are under $40 for a set.

Is this a DIY job or does the suspension need to be taken apart?

Thanks for helping the ignorant!

Joe

Old 05-18-2004 | 12:52 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

The upper scoops attach to the strut. Depending on what model strut you have, it my or may not have the tab to mount the upper scoops. The lower scoops bolt to the 968 control arms. If you have the original 944 arms on the car, you need to fabricate a bracket that attaches to the top side of the swaybar drop link mount.
Old 05-18-2004 | 01:56 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Joe,
Send a note to Karl at www.racersedge-inc.com. He did this upgrade to my race car, I believe he can get the brackes as well as the scoops, tell him Eric sent you.
Old 05-18-2004 | 04:35 PM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default Cool Brakes

Thanks for the replies.

Eric, I will contact Karl to see what can be done.

Thanks again!

Joe
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:07 PM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Eric:

I sent Karl an e-mail and he called me a few minutes later. Amazing! He was very helpful. I just want to make sure I can fabricate the brackets myself and then I am going to buy the upper and lower scoops from him.

THANKS!

Joe
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:21 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Joe,

After you get the job done, please tell us how easy or hard it is to do. I am building a 944S race car, and would like to put them on.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race car
1987 944S Race car under const.
Old 05-18-2004 | 05:36 PM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Bill:

I will let you know how it went but to give you a preview Karl instructed me to do the following: 1) go to Home Depot and purchase a 1 1/2 inch wide X 1/8 inch thick X 36 inch long piece of aluminum strap, 2) cut off a 5 1/2 inch piece, 3) place it in a vice and hammer away until I have a U-shaped piece (90 degree angles). The piece shoud be 2 inches on either side and 1 1/2 inches on the base, 4) drill holes in the two sides for the bolts and attach.

He will sell the two lower 968 scoops for $18 each and the two upper scoops are $21 each.

He was VERY helpful. I like to give people like that my business.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 05-20-2004 | 05:35 PM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Warning! Will Rodgers! Warning!.

You don't want to be buying aluminum. It does not bend well. Pick up some mild steel strap. This will take the bending and not crack. If you pick up the type with the holes it almost becomes a no drill conversion.

I don't see how these U's are mounted to the control arm unless you are thinking about drilling it. With the cast aluminum control arms this made me nervous. A rough hole in aluminum can be a start point for fatigue or cracking.

When I did it, I used the strapping and created two pieces that mounted to the top of the swaybar bolt. The deflector blades have two mounting holes oe strap goes to each. one if Z shaped and mounts directly to the out board boss. The other is flat and bends from the bolt flat down to the top of the control arm and angles inboard about 30-40 degrees to pick up the inside mount. For Correct vertical positioning, I used a steel stand off (looks like a long hex nut) to drop from the bar down to the deflector boss.

I have some pic's some where, just not here.

I had to replace the control arms and the new spec arms are the 968 and come with the bosses.

Either way it is a quick and easy upgrade.
Old 05-21-2004 | 11:20 AM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default Hmmm...

I think I need to look into this further.

One guy in my region said that he bolted the scoops onto his 1989 944 Turbo with no problems. I think he would have mentioned if he had to fabricate special brackets.

I will try to pay him a visit this weekend to take a look at his setup.

Thanks!

Joe
Old 05-21-2004 | 02:25 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joe,
looking forward to your answer. IIRC, www.frozenrotors.com was selling a complete bolt-on kit using these 968 ducts for $120 or so. Included brackets.
Old 05-24-2004 | 11:10 AM
FirstPorsche
Instructor

Default I Called Them Just Now...

Mike:

Thanks for the tip.

On their website it says they only fit 944S2's and 944 Turbos. I called them and they told me that they now have a new bracket to make the kit fit all 944's. Great! It is $150 for the complete kit including brackets and hardware (and instructions, thank goodness!).

I am still going to investigate making the brackets myself but I might end up feeling more comfortable buying a complete kit.

Thanks to all.

Joe

Quick Reply: 968 Brake Scoops on 944S???