Sponsored by:

Add new track to Harry's Lap Timer

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2023, 07:23 PM
Greentree
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Add new track to Harry's Lap Timer

I attended an HPDE at a brand new track in Arizona called Podium Club at Attesa. It's a great track and I really enjoyed the event. I'd recommend it to anyone.

However I had one problem I could not solve. For years I have used the Harry's Lap Timer app on my IPhone,. All the tracks I have visited up until now have been present in the Harry's Lap Timer database of tracks. It isn't necessary to define where the start/finish line is or where all the turns are located. You just load the predefined track out of the database and you're good to go.

Podium Club at Attesa has only been open a few months and doesn't appear in the database. You must define the new track from scratch. I selected 'New Track' in the app, renamed it Podium Club, walked to the start/finish line, pointed the IPhone camera down the track, and pressed set. It seemed to work and the new track appeared in the Analysis section. I tried this several times, but each time the app failed to start when I crossed the start/finish line in the car. I didn't enter any additional POIs (points of interest) other than the start/finish. Maybe it won't work with just a start/finish line defined.

Anyway, have any of you succeeded in defining a 'New Track' in Harry's Lap Timer that works? Are there any secrets I should know? The Lap Timer documentation is, frankly, obscure. I'd surely like to be taken by the hand and given a step-by-step description of what to do.
Old 08-10-2023, 05:41 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi! Did you manage to add a new track? I might try it next week.

Originally Posted by Greentree
I attended an HPDE at a brand new track in Arizona called Podium Club at Attesa. It's a great track and I really enjoyed the event. I'd recommend it to anyone.

However I had one problem I could not solve. For years I have used the Harry's Lap Timer app on my IPhone,. All the tracks I have visited up until now have been present in the Harry's Lap Timer database of tracks. It isn't necessary to define where the start/finish line is or where all the turns are located. You just load the predefined track out of the database and you're good to go.

Podium Club at Attesa has only been open a few months and doesn't appear in the database. You must define the new track from scratch. I selected 'New Track' in the app, renamed it Podium Club, walked to the start/finish line, pointed the IPhone camera down the track, and pressed set. It seemed to work and the new track appeared in the Analysis section. I tried this several times, but each time the app failed to start when I crossed the start/finish line in the car. I didn't enter any additional POIs (points of interest) other than the start/finish. Maybe it won't work with just a start/finish line defined.

Anyway, have any of you succeeded in defining a 'New Track' in Harry's Lap Timer that works? Are there any secrets I should know? The Lap Timer documentation is, frankly, obscure. I'd surely like to be taken by the hand and given a step-by-step description of what to do.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:40 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I ran into the same thing with Garmin. It created the track @ Podium using the start/finish, I had to train it by tapping 2 passes by the start/finish, and thereafter recorded the laps but I'm not clear on how or if there's a way to upload it to Garmin (?) so that it's there in the db for the future and I don't have to re-teach it.

Quick Reply: Add new track to Harry's Lap Timer