Getting Into Racing

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by macnewma
Geo and Z-Man-

You guys mentioned trying out karting. Do you have any pointers as to how to get into that? Are there typically adult leagues?

I have gone to the "Euro Karting" style of rental places, but those aren't the same.

Max
There are a few good resources around. The one I used to recommend has shut down unfortunately. Let me see what I can do.

There are some "senior" classes, but few local clubs tend to run them. You would typically be competing against folks from 16 to 60. And you're right, a rental place is absolutely not the same. You simply MUST have your own to prep, set-up, repair, etc. It's a major difference.

A lot of people want to jump directly into shifter karts, but I recommend against that. It's not unlike wanting to race cars and jumping right into an F1 car.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:15 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geo-

Yeah, I don't care about shifter karts or how fast I go, I just want to get some good, reasonably priced racing in. I think it would be a good supplement to DEs and a good precursor to Club Racing.

Max
Z-man
Race Director

Karting info: http://www.startracing.com/ (The old Dino USA Karting Place)

Also: teke951: get a subscription to Grassroots Motorsports. Excellent magazine that covers all aspects of amateur level motorsport.

-Z.
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by DAR951
Now there's an offer you can't refuse! Jump all over this one, teke951
OK! Let's work on finding a club race we can both make.

I won't be racing until the fall. First of all, my car won't be ready for a few months. Second, I don't race here in the summer. Too bloody hot. Three layers of Nomex inside a car with an interior temp over 100 degrees is not my idea of fun.

But, I will certainly be willing to take you as a spectator and if you like, I can put you on my crew list when I start racing my car. You will have to become an SCCA member.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:20 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Z-man
Also: teke951: get a subscription to Grassroots Motorsports. Excellent magazine that covers all aspects of amateur level motorsport.
I don't much care for that magazine. I don't think they really cater to racing. They cater much more to DE and autocross types IMHO. So much of what they cover is not about race cars.

Then there is the fact they have announced the SE-R and Neon will not be moving to ITA next year and that is false.

They do have an article about my buddy Greg Amy with his ITS NX2000 this month so I'm told. Greg came down to Texas to race in an enduro with my business partner and me in the SE-R.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Here's a good resource for karting:

http://www.nkn.com/gettingstarted.html
Old 05-13-2004, 02:55 PM
teke951
Instructor

Geo,
That would be great to meet up with you and check out an event. Whenever you decide to go, just let me know. I'll PM you my phone # so you can get a hold of me the next time you go.

And it would be cool to be on your crew list. Would be a great opportunity to be there in the action.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by teke951
For you guys in the TX region, do you know of any events coming up that I can go to so I can talk with others and check out what goes on out there?
If you're calling TMS close by, you must live up on the north side - the NORTH side.

In addition to the SCCA race at TWS on the weekend of May 29 (which I haven't decided yet whether I'm going), the following weekend there's a PCA DE at TWS. Registration is open now, go to www.lsrpca.com for forms, information, motels you can stay at, etc.

I'm down inside the loop, near I-10 and the west loop. Feel free to come by for a beer out in the garage, and you can help me do brake maintenance on the SRF! (Heh, heh, heh)

Oh, and there might be an additional DE planned for the July 4th weekend; but that's strictly tentative as best I know. There's a real quiet period in the schedule during the HOT months, so if you'd like to get your feet wet, I strongly encourage you to come out to the June 5-6 DE.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, BTW - if you come to the next PCA DE, I can introduce you to a guy who's been racing karts for the past few years at a kart track out in Katy. He's very up on the experience, and last I heard he has a spare/second kart he's been offering to people for a test drive/race/whatever.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally posted by Robert Henriksen
Oh, BTW - if you come to the next PCA DE, I can introduce you to a guy who's been racing karts for the past few years at a kart track out in Katy. He's very up on the experience, and last I heard he has a spare/second kart he's been offering to people for a test drive/race/whatever.
Now there's an offer you should take up.

You could be racing karts in no time. This would give you great experience while you research what you want to do in cars. When you are ready for cars, if you bought well you should be able to get out of karts for nearly what you put into it.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 PM
teke951
Instructor

Yeah, TMS isn't real close. I guess I was just listing it as an example. TWS is definitly the most convenient track to go to. I'm located inside the loop myself, off of 59 and Kirby.

I'm going to have to do some serious thinking in terms of which car to purchase to get my motorsports hobby going. One of the toughest decisions I'll ever make
Old 05-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, shoot, you could be over here working on my SRF in no time!

I'm off Memorial & Westcott, back in the neighborhood where Roznovsky's used to be.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:19 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ross,

Think about what you want out of this. If your interest is racing cars, then I suggest you do that as soon as you can. DE's can make you a bit more comfortable in the car, but they do not prepare you for racing and IMO, there is no need to spend time doing DE's if you want to race.

What do you want out of racing? Do you want lots of close competition in identical cars - that will really make you develop as a driver. Do you really wan to race a Porsche? Do you want to tinker and improve and design? Do you want to be in a production based car or a purpose built race car? The answer to these questions will go far to pointing you to the right class and group.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Al P.
Pro

I'm going to have to do some serious thinking in terms of which car to purchase to get my motorsports hobby going. One of the toughest decisions I'll ever make
Nah, you own a car, get your motorsports hobby going with what you have. If I were you I'd be signing up for that PCA DE

In addition to the SCCA race at TWS on the weekend of May 29 (which I haven't decided yet whether I'm going), the following weekend there's a PCA DE at TWS. Registration is open now, go to www.lsrpca.com for forms, information, motels you can stay at, etc.
get involved, then make your decisions, a good lap allways makes the thinking process easier
Old 05-13-2004, 03:30 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SundayDriver
Ross,

Think about what you want out of this. If your interest is racing cars, then I suggest you do that as soon as you can. DE's can make you a bit more comfortable in the car, but they do not prepare you for racing and IMO, there is no need to spend time doing DE's if you want to race.
I know I'm asking for it but........

I think at least a season of DE will go a long way towards safe racing. I agree that if your goal is racing you should get into it as soon as possible but DE will give you invaluable experience. I can count on one hand the number of drivers I know that haven't spun (this is all DE). Spinning in DE is a much safer excursion than in racing. Also the fact that you are much less likely to take out another with your spin makes it an easy lesson. One season on DE. Do it.

Quick Reply: Getting Into Racing