Yokohama A032's--very impressive rain tire

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 06:13 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Yokohama A032's--very impressive rain tire

I just got back from a 2-day DE at Mid Ohio (nice job, MORPCA!) and saw a pretty impressive display of wet-weather traction courtesy of the Yok's. Thursday was glorious but by late Friday morning, we were looking at dark skies and then the floodgates opened.

I'm pretty careful in the wet but the AWD lets me push it a bit more than most. I run MPSC's and they are, frankly, a little dicey with standing water. Those little streams which appear on the Mid Ohio surface make for some very interesting handling but it was manageable.

So there I was, killing every RWD car on the track when all of a sudden this 951 Club Racer appeared in my mirrors. You'd think with that stiff suspension, the driver would be taking it easy but no, he closed in on me through Madness as if I were running on 3 cylinders. I was pushing it to the limit, too, but this car had no problems reeling me in.

After the session, I checked out this rain car from hell and confirmed it was running A032's. If you plan to drive to and from DE's with R compounds and anticipate wet roads, I think the Yok's are worth a look.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 05-09-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2004, 09:51 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got my set of 032s with half tread left sitting in my Explorer. After I wear out my S-01s on my street wheels, I am going to put those back on my street wheels for wet DEs. My technician recommends 032s for a track rain tire.

I love my new RA-1s in the dry!
Old 05-09-2004, 10:32 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Have they fixed the "new" abrasive concrete?

Mike
Old 05-09-2004, 11:57 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good call, Jim (Forklift).

Mike, This was my first run at Mid Ohio so I don't know what the previous surface felt like. I was told it had been worked on since that first p-car event a few weeks ago but the concrete patches are definitely grippy. In the rain, it felt like a dry surface compared to the asphault; in the dry, the difference was less noticeable, IMHO. Tire wear was not extreme but again, I only had four 25 minute sessions before the rains came. I'm sure the Club Racers will chime in with opinions after they return from this weekend's race.
Great track, by the way. Well worth the six hour drive from Chi-town.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:21 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid- Ohio concrete

Having been there for the Friday downpours, I can tell you that the opinion was that the famous "Mid-Ohio rain line" has indeed changed - now you drive _on_ the concrete patches. That's where the grip is!
Old 05-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Hubert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran=laguna seca on full tread a032rs and would use them again as a rain tire. I got to test them throughout the whole spectrum of wet conditions: total down pour; drizzle; damp; drying pavement with running water accross the race line; etc. However, don't repeat my stupidity and make sure to scrub them in prior to the 1st event. I ran fresh, and consumatly spun on my 1st lap . (Also, stay off the curbing @ laguna in the wet, as it's very, very slick) Lastly, if longevity is a consideration, or you have plans for wet track use, do not shave them. Again, do scrub them in prior to the 1st event.

Quick Reply: Yokohama A032's--very impressive rain tire