Sponsored by:

My first Champ Car event

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 03:50 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,495 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Having driven in both series I would say there is a wider disparity in driver skill in the Champ Car series versus AER.

Someone put it to me this way:

With AER it might be someone's first race. With Champ Car it might be someone's first time on track.

While the comment that it might be a little but of an exaggeration to say it is the person's first time on track, I don't think it is a huge exaggeration. There were a few people who looked like they had a few DE days under their belt.

All that being said, so long as you drive smart, you can stay safe.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:22 AM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Racing is a different kind of "relaxed" because you can't think of anything else except the race that is going on. Driving DE you might start thinking about what to get for lunch, what a nice day it is, etc., but during a race that never happens for me. My brain is 100% locked in on racing and a nuclear bomb detonating on the horizon would not distract me from continuing the race.

This is why racing is so relaxing and meditative. You're singularly focused ... if a bomb goes off you think about "how can I use this to pass the person ahead of me"
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (11-08-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 01:17 PM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

As a shop, we have really enjoyed having Murph and many first time racers run with us this year in Champcar. Seeing a driver transition from DE to racing is such a thrill to watch. Getting out of the car after the first stint, the smiles and occasional pure looks of terror behind the visor make it clear the racing bug has bitten hard!

Putting my driver hat on for a minute - having raced in IMSA at top levels as well as just about every type of road race on the planet, I thought the most fun I have ever had in 42 years of racing was the 25hrs of Thunderhill. Champcar changed my mind - the fun factor for both drivers and crew is tops!

Up next, VIR and Sebring. If you're on the fence, join us!
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

The following 2 users liked this post by toddlamb:
Papamurphdog (11-15-2022), txhokie4life (11-09-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 03:43 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I am not a good barometer to determine normalness.

I can tell you this - when I first starting driving at DEs I would treat each lap like I was qualifying, to use you analogy, and was driving "stressed". I was new and wanted to always go faster and catch the car in front of my. Once I learned to relax, and concentrate on fundamentals, I would be "surprised" when my lap times fell.

Racing is a different kind of "relaxed" because you can't think of anything else except the race that is going on. Driving DE you might start thinking about what to get for lunch, what a nice day it is, etc., but during a race that never happens for me. My brain is 100% locked in on racing and a nuclear bomb detonating on the horizon would not distract me from continuing the race.

I think once you race more you will feel more relaxed at DEs. Racing is the full course meal. DE is the after dinner drink.
Thanks LV. Interesting perspective. Much appreciated.
Old 12-18-2022, 02:18 PM
Wheelman_99
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ChampCar offers the best racing experience dollar for dollar any where, with AER just behind, now that they have reigned in the performance of the fastest cars. WRL offers a bit higher level experience and is a total blast as well, but the costs are higher as well.

I love the strategy involved and have had the pleasure to call the shots as well as drive in many 200tw endurance races. I miss the flat out tooth and nail battle that sprint racing brings, but I don't miss the crash damage...
The following users liked this post:
txhokie4life (12-20-2022)

Quick Reply: My first Champ Car event