Sponsored by:

Good helmet for HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022 | 10:28 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Can't really add to anything everyone else has said....sometimes we get lucky for a fit through the mail, sometimes not.
Bell fits different than Roux, fits different than Stilo, fits different than Arai, etc. .... example - Roux fits me PERFECT. But Stilo not so much. Bell is good but not as comfortable as my Roux.

There are really only 2 helmets that can have easily built in communication: Roux and Stilo - oh and Shuberth. You can put comms in any helmet, but it's usually a bit more effort since they don't come like that from the company the way Roux and Stilo do.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 10-04-2022 | 10:48 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

I’ll add that different Bell models are designed for differently shaped heads. I have a Bell GP.3 which fits my head very well. My head is intermediate oval and measures 60cm and the 61cm helmet fits snug but comfortably. By contrast the Bell RS7 fits a narrower head shape and was not comfortable for me.

On another note, I recently bought a Roux R1C for the built-in comms. I bought a 61cm (which is an XL in Roux sizes) and it fits very much like the Bell GP.3. The Bell is a little bit more snug in the forehead but not significantly.
Old 10-04-2022 | 11:32 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

One more thing to add, if you wear glasses make sure you find a helmet that works with your glasses. Padding in the helmet could push up the frames on your glasses.
The following users liked this post:
85Gold (10-09-2022)
Old 10-08-2022 | 12:46 AM
schell
Racer

I think the Bell M8 is a little more expensive than the entry level helmet, but the fit is great and it is a very light weight helmet for the price.

https://bellracing.com/m8-sa2020.html
Hella-Buggin' (09-19-2024)
Old 10-08-2022 | 02:08 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

My old trusty Bell M4 just expired. I went and tried on the M8 and it just did not fit the same. The M8 seemed to run a bit larger than the size would suggest. Then I tried on the GT6 and it had a perfect fit almost identical to the M4. I bought the Carbon GT6. It's one of the lightest carbon helmet offerings on the market.

https://bellracing.com/gt6-carbon.html
Old 10-08-2022 | 03:34 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by powdrhound
My old trusty Bell M4 just expired. I went and tried on the M8 and it just did not fit the same. The M8 seemed to run a bit larger than the size would suggest. Then I tried on the GT6 and it had a perfect fit almost identical to the M4. I bought the Carbon GT6. It's one of the lightest carbon helmet offerings on the market.

I've had this happen. An old helmet, which is broken in, never fits the same as even the same new helmet.
Old 10-08-2022 | 08:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I've had this happen. An old helmet, which is broken in, never fits the same as even the same new helmet.
Truth….
Sneakers too.
elwademd (10-08-2022)
Old 09-18-2024 | 01:09 AM
DomTheBomb
Rennlist Member

how much does your gt6 carbon weigh? What size is it?
Old 09-18-2024 | 06:28 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DomTheBomb
how much does your gt6 carbon weigh? What size is it?
The helmet is extremely light, noticeable lighter than my old Bell M4. I don't recall the size for sure but I think I got a 58 which is a small/medium. I always suggest you buy one a little tighter than optimal as they all pack out slightly with use.

I will note that that new generation helmets run larger (the outer shell) than the older Snell helmets. In other words, there is more padding. At least that seems to be the case with the Bell helmets as the GT6 is definitely larger than my older M4. I was told that new testing criterial have caused the helmets to get slightly bulkier. Something to keep in mind if your headroom is very limited. I have my seat very low to get adequate clearance. You can probably zoom in on the picture below and see that the GT6 carbon is fairly large but I think they all are now. Something to think about. With that said, I love the GT6.

Last edited by powdrhound; 09-18-2024 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2024 | 07:49 AM
amurph182
Racer

Originally Posted by schell
I think the Bell M8 is a little more expensive than the entry level helmet, but the fit is great and it is a very light weight helmet for the price.

https://bellracing.com/m8-sa2020.html
was just coming here to say this, I’ve found the M8 to be a great helmet for the money. What I really like is the huge eye port, which is really nice if you wear glasses/sunglasses on track. Also, my experience is that pretty much every shop I’ve been to sells Bell helmets and most of them have the M8 in stock so it’s easy to find a place to try it on
Old 09-18-2024 | 10:16 AM
DomTheBomb
Rennlist Member

The helmet is extremely light, noticeable lighter than my old Bell M4. I don't recall the size for sure but I think I got a 58 which is a small/medium. I always suggest you buy one a little tighter than optimal as they all pack out slightly with use.

I will note that that new generation helmets run larger (the outer shell) than the older Snell helmets. In other words, there is more padding. At least that seems to be the case with the Bell helmets as the GT6 is definitely larger than my older M4. I was told that new testing criterial have caused the helmets to get slightly bulkier. Something to keep in mind if your headroom is very limited. I have my seat very low to get adequate clearance. You can probably zoom in on the picture below and see that the GT6 carbon is fairly large but I think they all are now. Something to think about. With that said, I love the GT6.

can you weigh yours when you get a chance? Wondering how it compares to the rs7 ltwt
Old 09-19-2024 | 03:47 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DomTheBomb
can you weigh yours when you get a chance? Wondering how it compares to the rs7 ltwt
I'm traveling right now but can do it on Friday when I return home.
Old 09-24-2024 | 07:34 PM
DomTheBomb
Rennlist Member

I ended up ordering the helmet anyway. My food scale measures my size 58 GT6 carbon at 1253g or 2.76lb. For ref, my 2.5lb plate is measured at 1126g which is 2.48 lb. I believe this is one of the lightest helmets on the market from these readings, especially for the price. For additional context, me beginner HJC H10 in Medium size weighs 1713g to 3.78 lb. Looking at a whole pound lighter or 27% lighter.

Last edited by DomTheBomb; 09-24-2024 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Good helmet for HPDE