Sponsored by:

Medical Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 06:27 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Medical Question

I had a stent installed in my left circumflex artery several years ago. I am 59 all is good and all critical numbers like BP and blood tests are good. I am being told that I will need to get a nuclear stress test to renew my race license. This is about a $6000 test and my cardiologist says it is not medically necessary. I am trying to understand if this is a common requirement and has anyone dealt with this?

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-12-2022, 06:33 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

The racing organization is asking for this, or the doctor filling out the form for you?
Old 08-12-2022, 10:06 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

The racing organization (NASA) is asking for this. Also, I need the same test to get my medical card to keep my full CDL driving privileges. I can do without the CDL but not the racing license!!!!
Old 08-12-2022, 11:46 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts

The former NASA national medical director is in my racing network. Shares a Spec Miata with another friend, a recently retired Porsche repair shop owner. I think his surgery practice is in my neighborhood. Don't think he is involved in the day-to-day anymore.

We had a few chats back in the day about the requirements for racing licensure including EKGs. I have a healthcare background on the commercial side, including medical imaging.

Never heard of this type of requirement before-- may have to do with their insurance.

If NASA has a medical director in your area or you can find your way to the current director, that person may be able to provide some clarity.

Not sure what CDL is, but perhaps NASA have set their reqs. based on similar criteria.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 08-12-2022 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 12:33 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

I got my local club to back off by explaining hippa and the cost of managing medical data. There are serious consequences if they let your data out.
Plus they really didnt have anybody qualified to read a EKG..

Last edited by pdxmotorhead; 08-13-2022 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:42 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I got my local club to back off by explaining hippa and the cost of managing medical data. There are serious consequences if they let your data out.
Plus they really didnt have anybody qualified to read a EKG..
LOL.. About 10 years ago my (old country) Dr's opinion of the requirement was not "high" and his EKG machine (equally old I think) messed up during the test. According to him the test showed my heart was turned about 90 degrees in my chest, which he confirmed to be a bit off by listening.. He gave me the report to send in just to see if someone on the other end would notice.. they didn't.

As for the OP's question, given the insane medical costs in the US I would look into getting the identical test done in another country (if they will accept it). Likely a €500 (or less) test here in Spain (if they do it at all).

Last edited by Gary R.; 08-13-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:43 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

Makes me wonder if the club doesn't properly understand what they are asking for (or what to do with the info, as suggested above). Maybe try a note from your cardiologist saying that the test isn't medically needed and that he/she attests to your fitness for the activity?
The following users liked this post:
joseph mitro (08-17-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 12:47 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Sounds like NASA needs a lesson on Bayesian reasoning.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:45 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Nasa and SCCA use to have nearly the identical medical form. In SCCA's case past and current the doc fills out one page and you are passed or failed. It is super simple and does not ask for details like posted by OP. Sometimes we put too much info on forms and trigger these problems. That's why if the IRS comes knocking your accountant deals with them and tells you to stay home.
The following users liked this post:
mikew968 (08-14-2022)
Old 08-14-2022, 08:36 PM
wgn
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well maybe they're not going about it the right way, but it seems like the intent is sound: OP has a history of coronary artery blockage, and NASA would like to be confident there isn't significantly elevated risk of a heart attack during competition. Unfortunately the test that effectively checks for proper blood flow to the heart is expensive (an EKG won't really tell you anything about circumflex artery blockage). I think racing organizations tend to be very careful around heart issues or history of heart issues. This is after all a sport that can put you and the people around you at great risk if something goes wrong.

If a cardiologist was asked to verify fitness for racing in this case, I wonder if they would want to see the same test before signing.
The following 2 users liked this post by wgn:
85Gold (08-15-2022), ProCoach (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 09:58 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 161 Posts

I am a physician, and I had a competition licensure student several years ago with a similar story who was given a similar requirement for renewing his medically-cancelled racing license by another major sanctioning body. Absent knowing chapter and verse about both the OP's specific medical history and current NASA rules, I don't see that any of our opinions here carry much weight.

Last edited by raspritz; 08-16-2022 at 10:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by raspritz:
dan212 (08-18-2022), ldamelio (08-17-2022), Mahler9th (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 09:11 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

I am 3 months into having a stent procedure and discussed going back to club racing next year with PCA. The response was they will differ to my cardiologist as to whether I am fit or not. There are a lot of gentleman club racers out there with heart issues.

Last edited by dgmark; 08-16-2022 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:48 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
There are a lot of gentleman club racers out there with heart issues.
And many more with emotional issues. Cough, cough... John.

Last edited by jdistefa; 08-17-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:08 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by stownsen914
Makes me wonder if the club doesn't properly understand what they are asking for (or what to do with the info, as suggested above). Maybe try a note from your cardiologist saying that the test isn't medically needed and that he/she attests to your fitness for the activity?
Originally Posted by wgn
Well maybe they're not going about it the right way, but it seems like the intent is sound: OP has a history of coronary artery blockage, and NASA would like to be confident there isn't significantly elevated risk of a heart attack during competition. Unfortunately the test that effectively checks for proper blood flow to the heart is expensive (an EKG won't really tell you anything about circumflex artery blockage). I think racing organizations tend to be very careful around heart issues or history of heart issues. This is after all a sport that can put you and the people around you at great risk if something goes wrong.

If a cardiologist was asked to verify fitness for racing in this case, I wonder if they would want to see the same test before signing.
agree with both of the above. intent is worthwhile but methods may be questionable. I'd have your cardiologist write a letter stating that he/she feels the test is not necessary and that you are, in his/her opinion, fit for the activity in question
Old 08-17-2022, 03:26 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 786 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by wgn

If the OP's state won't give him a commercial driver's license unless he gets the test, it clear that they have concerns about the condition and how it could affect his driving on the road. It doesn't sound like a racing organization is out of line having the same concern. The nuclear stress test seems to be the only objective way to determine the extent of the problems.

Quick Reply: Medical Question