Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Availability of Track Tires: Great Source!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 07:20 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Talking Availability of Track Tires: Great Source!

Below is a note I sent to Jerry Cruz, Marketing Manager at Discount tire in Vista, CA. This guy is incredible....he has the ability to find specialized performance tires that are NLA, or hard to find, at most other tire stores, including on-line sources. Their prices are competitive as well. Jerry is at Discount Tire, 2450 S. Melrose Drive, Vista, CA 760.305.0340 (N. San Diego County). Reading the note below is unnecessary, just know that if and when you need tires, this is the place to get them, no exceptions. They only sell DOT tires, no slicks.

Jerry Cruz,

You have done it again, saved me at the last minute with that set of front 245/35/19 Toyo R888R tires that are generally unavailable anywhere else on short notice. Why did I panic? About 2 weeks ago, I got lazy and ordered a set of tires from www.racedaytire.com They are owned by Continental Tire, who also owns Hoosier. They are also a large Toyo distributor. They sucked me in promising free freight and no CA sales tax (they'll get nailed on that one of these days). They also offer a Frequent User 8% discount as a result of my performance driving hobby. Sounds good? Maybe. Free freight? All the big tire outlets offer free freight. I really don't need free freight when I have so many Discount Tire Stores to choose from. And freight means my tires are being shipped, not always a good thing, as I discovered recently, things can go horribly wrong. My recent order to Track Day Tire, since cancelled, was supposedly shipped to me via FedEx Ground, who disclosed at the last minute that my tire's arrival was uncertain due to a "weather delay" this past week. FedEx Ground told Race Day Tire they were not certain when my tires were to arrive.

Upon hearing this grim news, in despair and desperation, I called you at Discount Tire Vista...keeping in mind I have a track event this coming weekend. I can't run without performance tires, and it's too late to cancel the event, and probably the hotel too. I told you my pleight....you called me back and said the tires would be at your store for my pick up the next day, March 11, in time for me to pick them up and take them to my upcoming weekend Porsche Owners Club track event. This is a repeat of the service you have provided me in the recent past with a set of Bridgestone RE-71R tires, thought to be unavailable, out of stock. Not for Jerry!

I continue to be impressed with the top notch service you provide and your friendly and helpful nature. In spite of the fact that I have a Discount Tire store less than 2 miles from my home, the 24 mile round trip to Vista is worth it. I will make the effort to spread the good word amongst my Porsche track pals in San Diego and elsewhere. I am copying this note to a racer pal of mine in Discount Tire Management. I hope they appreciate what they have in you, and the extraordinary service you provide. No more Track Day tire for me!

When asked to do a review, I will promptly reply, five stars of course. Never again. will I consider ordering tires/wheels from any other source than you at the Discount Tire Vista Store.

In closing, I see on your business card that you are the Marketing Manager at the Vista store. They couldn't have picked a better person. When excellent service is provided as you do, people talk, Marketing will take care of itself...personal referrals are powerful, as I have found.
Best regards,

Martin
Solana Beach, CA 92075

Last edited by Martin S.; 03-11-2022 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Veloce Raptor (03-11-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 06:59 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Below is a note I sent to Jerry Cruz, Marketing Manager at Discount tire in Vista, CA. This guy is incredible....he has the ability to find specialized performance tires that are NLA, or hard to find, at most other tire stores, including on-line sources. Their prices are competitive as well. Jerry is at Discount Tire, 2450 S. Melrose Drive, Vista, CA 760.305.0340 (N. San Diego County). Reading the note below is unnecessary, just know that if and when you need tires, this is the place to get them, no exceptions. They only sell DOT tires, no slicks.

Jerry Cruz,

You have done it again, saved me at the last minute with that set of front 245/35/19 Toyo R888R tires that are generally unavailable anywhere else on short notice. Why did I panic? About 2 weeks ago, I got lazy and ordered a set of tires from www.racedaytire.com They are owned by Continental Tire, who also owns Hoosier. They are also a large Toyo distributor. They sucked me in promising free freight and no CA sales tax (they'll get nailed on that one of these days). They also offer a Frequent User 8% discount as a result of my performance driving hobby. Sounds good? Maybe. Free freight? All the big tire outlets offer free freight. I really don't need free freight when I have so many Discount Tire Stores to choose from. And freight means my tires are being shipped, not always a good thing, as I discovered recently, things can go horribly wrong. My recent order to Track Day Tire, since cancelled, was supposedly shipped to me via FedEx Ground, who disclosed at the last minute that my tire's arrival was uncertain due to a "weather delay" this past week. FedEx Ground told Race Day Tire they were not certain when my tires were to arrive.

Upon hearing this grim news, in despair and desperation, I called you at Discount Tire Vista...keeping in mind I have a track event this coming weekend. I can't run without performance tires, and it's too late to cancel the event, and probably the hotel too. I told you my pleight....you called me back and said the tires would be at your store for my pick up the next day, March 11, in time for me to pick them up and take them to my upcoming weekend Porsche Owners Club track event. This is a repeat of the service you have provided me in the recent past with a set of Bridgestone RE-71R tires, thought to be unavailable, out of stock. Not for Jerry!

I continue to be impressed with the top notch service you provide and your friendly and helpful nature. In spite of the fact that I have a Discount Tire store less than 2 miles from my home, the 24 mile round trip to Vista is worth it. I will make the effort to spread the good word amongst my Porsche track pals in San Diego and elsewhere. I am copying this note to a racer pal of mine in Discount Tire Management. I hope they appreciate what they have in you, and the extraordinary service you provide. No more Track Day tire for me!

When asked to do a review, I will promptly reply, five stars of course. Never again. will I consider ordering tires/wheels from any other source than you at the Discount Tire Vista Store.

In closing, I see on your business card that you are the Marketing Manager at the Vista store. They couldn't have picked a better person. When excellent service is provided as you do, people talk, Marketing will take care of itself...personal referrals are powerful, as I have found.
Best regards,

Martin
Solana Beach, CA 92075
My local Discount Tire guy has also been helpful to me, although I doubt he is as knowledgable as yours. FWIW, I just ordered 295/30 and 235/35 19’s just so I wouldn’t get caught short. He didn’t see more than six or so in those sizes in their entire computer inventory nationwide.
Oops! Sure enough the tires aren’t there. Sure hope some company comes through soon.

Last edited by Jim Cobb; 03-17-2022 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Update!
Old 03-14-2022, 07:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts

Assuning you are running a 981 cayman GTS, on my former 2015 Cayman GTS, I ran 255/35/19 fronts and 305/30.19 rears....perfect fit, no rubbing of any sort. I'll bet you the 245/35/19 and 305/35/19 will fit your car...jusy sayin. I am sell the set I just bought because the O.Z. wheels I bought rub the rear wheel carriers...as a result they have been mounted once, soon to be dismounted. If you are interested I have an ad in Rennlist Classifieds.

Martin
Old 03-17-2022, 07:25 PM
Jim Cobb
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Assuning you are running a 981 cayman GTS, on my former 2015 Cayman GTS, I ran 255/35/19 fronts and 305/30.19 rears....perfect fit, no rubbing of any sort. I'll bet you the 245/35/19 and 305/35/19 will fit your car...jusy sayin. I am sell the set I just bought because the O.Z. wheels I bought rub the rear wheel carriers...as a result they have been mounted once, soon to be dismounted. If you are interested I have an ad in Rennlist Classifieds.

Martin
Not sure about those tires on my rims, but I will check. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Availability of Track Tires: Great Source!