Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track day repairs. Save the day vs. F this, I'm going home

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022 | 10:58 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

At Sebring, Max & JoJo from Provost Motorsports brought 7-8 "spare" SPB transmissions along with them. (Not sure if you guys heard how delicate those transmissions are...LOL.)

I think their strategy is like taking an umbrella on a cloudy day: if you have it with you, you won't need it.

Nevertheless, I've seen them change an SPB trans in about 30 minutes between practices/races. I joked that, in the shop, the manual probably lists that job as 3.5 hours. Last year at NJMP. when my starter on my Cup car crapped out on grid for Race 1, Max rebuilt the starter in the August heat, dripping with sweat and had me ready for Race 2. So, i disagree with any term that disparages those techs that we use for track support. They are cool under fire and go over and above to get our asses back on track as soon as possible. In my opinion, they are worth their weight in 100 octane gas.
The following users liked this post:
KevinA (03-02-2022)
Old 03-02-2022 | 02:03 PM
Gear Rower
Racer

Most people don't fully appreciate the demands that endurance racing puts on a car and race team.
Racecars obey the laws of entropy -- chaos, not order is preferred and the universe does it's damn best to return the car to it's primordial components. NOT repairing the car over a 16hr race (or two 8hr events) is the exception, not the norm.
Being able to change trannies, clutches, water pumps, drivetrain components, electronic gremlins, suspension, etc while lying on paddock tarmac is all part of staying in the hunt and maximizing championship points over the weekend.
It's also why you'll see grown men tearing up when it finally all comes together and the team can stand on the top podium step. (I swear it was just some dust in my eyes)
It's a herculean effort just to finish an endurance weekend, let alone win the race.
Old 03-13-2022 | 02:00 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Old 03-14-2022 | 11:17 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

In the SPBox crowd, we can swap out just about everything at the track - wheel carriers, exhaust systems, fenders, doors, radiators, clutches, transmissions. Easy car to work on, and usually a great group of guys willing to jump in and help. 3 guys who know what they’re doing can swap a gearbox in 3 hours. 4 guys can do it in 4 hours. You get it.

Never seen anyone swap a motor at the track because they rarely blow.

Quick Reply: Track day repairs. Save the day vs. F this, I'm going home