Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this Ferodo pad edge crumble look ok or is it toast.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022 | 11:48 AM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Hey Andrew! Hope you are well. You may be able to get away with leaving DS2500 'in the hole' at all times. Did you read the article I just wrote on this topic: Which Ferodo Brake Pad is Right for Me?

We've had several 911 and Cayman owners run DS2500 on track without issue. My suggestion would be to give it a shot with the following caveats:
1. Make sure you have a set of 1.11 or 3.12 on hand in case you vaporize the DS25000...that way you won't lose any paid-for track sessions
2. If you feel even a whiff of fade, get off the track immediately. I doubt you would fade them, but ignoring brake fade is just about the best way to have a day that is both bad for your health and your wallet. (I was driving an event at VIR in which a guy in an Audi R8 ignored brake fade at Oak Tree, and proceeded to go straight off the track, over the wall, and into the trees at the end of the back straight...fortunately didn't get injured, but the car was a steaming heap).
Thanks Jeff! I do have both DS1.11 and 3.12 spares available to take with me to the track if I run the DS2500s, so I will probably try that. If I wasn't so lazy I would swap out my pads before and after each event, but I find that even with the Essex kit it takes me a while to do all four corners. It is way faster than swapping pads on the OE calipers, but I would still love to be able to just leave the 2500s in all the time if that would not create a safety issue for me on track. I do love the 2500 as a street pad and I recently sold my trailer, so I will need to drive to and from the track unless and until I buy another trailer. Since I live in the city, I thought I would try simplifying my life a bit by getting the trailer out of my driveway, but it remains to be seen whether I will stick with that plan.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 02:53 PM
steved0x
Pro

Originally Posted by Shandingo
Thanks Jeff! I do have both DS1.11 and 3.12 spares available to take with me to the track if I run the DS2500s, so I will probably try that. If I wasn't so lazy I would swap out my pads before and after each event, but I find that even with the Essex kit it takes me a while to do all four corners. It is way faster than swapping pads on the OE calipers, but I would still love to be able to just leave the 2500s in all the time if that would not create a safety issue for me on track. I do love the 2500 as a street pad and I recently sold my trailer, so I will need to drive to and from the track unless and until I buy another trailer. Since I live in the city, I thought I would try simplifying my life a bit by getting the trailer out of my driveway, but it remains to be seen whether I will stick with that plan.
I ran some DS2500 at Road Atlanta, and how I wish I had come upon that pad when I was first coming up the HPDE ladder. When I ran them it was after I was in the advanced group and instructing, and they felt great, no fade through the sessions I ran them on the first day. They were just lacking the, for lack of a better term, I like to call it "The hand of God braking power and feel/modulation at the limit". I can say the DS2500 was way better than the various pads I had tried when coming up, and if I hadn't previously run the DS1.11, the DS2500 probably would have been the best pads I had run up to that point, (stock, then EBC red, then Carbotech XP-8). At a track like Roebling I probably couldn't have told a difference but there were a few spots at Road Atlanta where I could feel the difference, in modulating and then brake release turning into 10a for example, or into T7.. In my 3000 pound+ Cayman I definitely felt no safety issues and no fade. I would say give it a try and see how it feels.
JRitt@essex (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 03:42 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
I ran some DS2500 at Road Atlanta, and how I wish I had come upon that pad when I was first coming up the HPDE ladder. When I ran them it was after I was in the advanced group and instructing, and they felt great, no fade through the sessions I ran them on the first day. They were just lacking the, for lack of a better term, I like to call it "The hand of God braking power and feel/modulation at the limit". I can say the DS2500 was way better than the various pads I had tried when coming up, and if I hadn't previously run the DS1.11, the DS2500 probably would have been the best pads I had run up to that point, (stock, then EBC red, then Carbotech XP-8). At a track like Roebling I probably couldn't have told a difference but there were a few spots at Road Atlanta where I could feel the difference, in modulating and then brake release turning into 10a for example, or into T7.. In my 3000 pound+ Cayman I definitely felt no safety issues and no fade. I would say give it a try and see how it feels.
Thanks for this. I will give the 2500s a try, but will bring a set of spare pads just in case.
steved0x (02-07-2022)
Old 02-07-2022 | 10:14 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
This is a Ferodo DS1.11, 9mm thick of pad material, and when I removed the pads, this one had a chunk missing from the leading edge (this pad was right outer front on a 987.2 base Cayman with Hankook R-S4, a few events on these pads, single drive car, 20-30 minute hpde sessions, mostly at Sebring with a maybe a single roebling). It was a new set, but I didn't buy it originally, so I don't know when it was produced (from some other threads with early ds1.11 problems). The other 3 fronts have light to none edge wear, and all 4 backs are good too, and this is the 2nd of two sets I bought and the first set was great, no crumbling. Is this an example of crumbling edge but the bulk of the friction puck material is attached so ok, or is it done for? Edit: looking at this picture up close, looks like another small chunk starting in the same spot, other side.

Thank you,
Steve
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Crumbling pad = toss 'em
I have 3 sets of “gently used” 3.12’s that I’m bringing to Texas with me. Looks just like the ones in the OP. No other pads. We still good for the 5 days?
Old 02-07-2022 | 10:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

COTA is tough on brakes. Really tough...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-07-2022 | 11:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Not good. I already suck at braking.

Should I wear a Hans?
Old 02-07-2022 | 11:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Not good. I already suck at braking.

Should I wear a Hans?
Umm, yeah...
Old 02-08-2022 | 09:57 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don't think you put enough emphasis on this.

Had a red flag happen 90% through the last run on Saturday. As I'm sitting at the end of the back straight on the apron, smoke is starting to billow out from the front wheels. It was the brakes smoking. Park the car, as I drive in Sunday morning I think I better give the brakes a good looking over. On a casual look, I could see each front rotor was cracked, up on the trailer she goes.

Get home and find that I cracked each front brake rotor in *5* places. It is really important at places like COTA to cool the brakes after a run. Admittedly, the rotors were close to done anyway, but it was eye opening.

The brake smoke starts at 0:43:

Last edited by TXE36; 02-08-2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2022 | 11:01 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Personally I found the Ferodo pad very unsatisfying despite the legions of fans to the brand.
Old 03-02-2022 | 07:43 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

I had a similar result after my first track day with Ferodo. Pics are after just three sessions at Homestead.

3.12 up front and 11.1 rear on a 987.2 with RE-71R tires running low 1:40s for perspective. Next event is two-days at Sebring and I’m not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling. I always ran Raybestos ST43 in the past and don’t recall having this issue.

Old 03-02-2022 | 08:15 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
I had a similar result after my first track day with Ferodo. Pics are after just three sessions at Homestead.

3.12 up front and 11.1 rear on a 987.2 with RE-71R tires running low 1:40s for perspective. Next event is two-days at Sebring and I’m not getting that warm and fuzzy feeling. I always ran Raybestos ST43 in the past and don’t recall having this issue.
The vast majority of the pad is intact, and there are no major fractures through the main body of the compound. I wouldn't have any concerns about running those pads if it were my personal car.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following 3 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
mhm993 (03-02-2022), PTSFX (03-02-2022), Vernin (06-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Does this Ferodo pad edge crumble look ok or is it toast.