Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 crash on the first turn

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 06:33 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Thank you, Peter...with more than a little help from an exceptional coach.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
What talent did he lack? Not pressing the gas pedal? That's a skill?Yes, it's the car's fault.
What kind of garbage engineering cant stay on the road in a straight line?Are you saying he would not have crashed if there were no cameras?
The car crashed going in a straight line! What a joke!So, what's the point of track driving if you're going to drive 30 mph around a track? LOL.What skill does he lack? Driving like a granny who can't find the gas pedal?
The car is in a straight line and he gives some gas and the car wipes out.
I have floored tons of cars and never wiped out like that.
Car is a pile of trash.How was he in over his head?
He gave gas and the car flipped the **** out, LOL.

Wrong. There was still steering angle in the car when he went from about 50% throttle to 100% throttle suddenly and the transmission kicked down. This is pure driver
The following 3 users liked this post by Veloce Raptor:
FullThrottle64 (02-06-2022), Mahler9th (02-03-2022), ProCoach (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 06:45 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by KOAN
Corvettes, especially C7 ZO6s, are not easy cars to drive, even with a lot of experience. There is a huge amount of power for the balance of the chassis. They come with multiple levels of nannies for a reason, and the OP had all but one level defeated. These cars break away in a heartbeat and are difficult to save. I was also alarmed at the A pillar damage. It is near impossible to mount a roll bar in these due to the aluminum frame. When I had my C7 Vette (very briefly), I took comfort in the fact that it had such a low center of gravity, I thought it would be almost impossible to roll. And I was told by Tadge Juechter that the aluminum in the A piller could hold 3x the weight of the car.
So the warning for instructors who draw this straw...keep the nannies on. Also, many owners put a harness bar in (again, without a roll bar) passing the belts through the "sport seat" shoulder holes. The belts are anchored too low posteriorly if this is done, and in this crash would have led to catastrophic consequences. So, use the stock 3 pts.
Re harness vs 3pts, I have had two friends crash corvettes at the track with relatively serious injuries, both of which would have been avoided if they had used harness bar and 6pt belts. from what I read on this thread, this track has potentially a higher probability for roll over events due to the off track surfaces, at places Iike WGI I believe you would be far safer with the harness bar. I also tracked a C7, although a Grand Sport, and they are pretty stable unless pushed to the limit.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:05 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

The following analysis is based on my own research when I was preparing my 2017 Callaway Grand Sport for the track. I'm not a safety engineer, nor do I play one on TV. But I take my safety seriously.
AFAIK, only the Brey-Krause harness bar is at the correct height relative to the average height of the shoulders of the driver to prevent compression injuries in the event of a frontal impact. If the bar is too low, it will cause spinal compression in the case of a frontal impact. The installation complexity and higher price make this bar less popular. The GM "sport" seats don't have the shoulder pass through holes in the correct place, nor do they have a pass through for the crotch belt. So, using aftermarket seats and a Brey-Krause bar would provide the optimal protection in the case of a frontal impact. However, in the case of a rollover, like we see here...a 6 pt. would restrict your ability to duck when the roof collapses, and you'd break your neck. You could see the broken helmet of the passenger in this crash, and that guy could only have survived by NOT being held in place by a 6 pt. belt, given the pancaking of the roof.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:16 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,298 Likes on 1,729 Posts

What talent did he lack? Not pressing the gas pedal? That's a skill?

Apperently it is, as proven by the video.

Actually, the talent would have been applying the correct amount power for the conditions.

u posted the video and comments u should not get all butthurt when when people speak the truth
Old 02-03-2022, 07:20 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Apperently it is, as proven by the video.

Actually, the talent would have been applying the correct amount power for the conditions.

u posted the video and comments u should not get all butthurt when when people speak the truth
Dancing the throttle is definitely a skill. OP is not getting that. There’s a video out there of Senna’s feet while on track. He’s doing ballet. No doubt an acquired and taught skill.
Some call it throttle steering. I call it dancing.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:30 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

The following analysis is based on my own research when I was preparing my 2017 Callaway Grand Sport for the track. I'm not a safety engineer, nor do I play one on TV. But I take my safety seriously.
AFAIK, only the Brey-Krause harness bar is at the correct height relative to the average height of the shoulders of the driver to prevent compression injuries in the event of a frontal impact. If the bar is too low, it will cause spinal compression in the case of a frontal impact. The installation complexity and higher price make this bar less popular. The GM "sport" seats don't have the shoulder pass through holes in the correct place, nor do they have a pass through for the crotch belt. So, using aftermarket seats and a Brey-Krause bar would provide the optimal protection in the case of a frontal impact. However, in the case of a rollover, like we see here...a 6 pt. would restrict your ability to duck when the roof collapses, and you'd break your neck. You could see the broken helmet of the passenger in this crash, and that guy could only have survived by NOT being held in place by a 6 pt. belt, given the pancaking of the roof.
agreed you have to buy the best safety equipment and replace the seats - as most of the people I know do. It comes down to personal risk management, yes in this incident 3pts are better but roll over events (based on what I read in this forum and my own experience) are very rare - but each of us have different metrics to manage risk, I believe the harness bar in a corvette (and half cage in a 911) mitigates the most common accident scenarios and hence is generally the best option. on a track where roll overs are a percieved risk and the car just harness bar and no cage, then sure I would use the 3pts restraints.

But it is not as simple as just stick with the 3pts for safety.
The following users liked this post:
pjazz (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:01 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

It may sound harsh, but the car did exactly what the driver told it to do.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXE36:
FullThrottle64 (02-06-2022), M13S (02-15-2022), Nowanker (02-12-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 09:54 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36
It may sound harsh, but the car did exactly what the driver told it to do.
Driver: Roll Over

Car: OK

Driver: Good Car Good Car
The following 4 users liked this post by dgrobs:
jscott82 (02-03-2022), NJ-991.2-4S (02-08-2022), txbdan (02-04-2022), Wild Weasel (02-15-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:32 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 284 Likes on 177 Posts

Ignore him and he goes away
Old 02-03-2022, 10:32 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 239 Posts

What kind of garbage engineering cant stay on the road in a straight line.
There is a whole sport that revolves around the concept of traction management... I just can't remember the name...
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 11:34 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Sugarwood Sugarwood Sugarwood
Old 02-03-2022, 11:59 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 284 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Sugarwood Sugarwood Sugarwood
But that makes him appear ...
Old 02-04-2022, 12:50 AM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts
Default It did not buff out.

Originally Posted by pjazz
I've seen professionals as well as instructors wipe out on cold tires, but that was about the worst accident I've ever seen.
Well known pro driver (F3, GP2, Indy, IMSA). 1st lap. Turn 6 at Hockenheim. I told him to "take it EZ". He didn't listen.

Old 02-04-2022, 07:45 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Corvettes, especially C7 ZO6s, are not easy cars to drive, even with a lot of experience.
There is a huge amount of power for the balance of the chassis.
. These cars break away in a heartbeat and are difficult to save. .
So, what good is performance if the car crashes in a straight line?
Seems like car performance is literally unusable and is actually a net negative.
Horsepower wars have officially jumped the shark when you can't even give gas in a straight line.
What a total joke the sports car industry has become!

Talent = Drive the car like a Beetle? If so, just buy a 200hp to 300hp car ?
Anything beyond that is a dick pissing contest that can't even be used.

Quick Reply: Z06 crash on the first turn