Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brought my 992 C2 to Thunderhill Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022 | 03:23 PM
cherudim9
AutoX

Default Brought my 992 C2 to Thunderhill Raceway

Hi fellows, I just brought my brother's 2022 Carrera (PDK) to the Thunderhill Raceway East with the bypass configuration. The car had just over 1k miles on it and everything was showroom status. Here are a few impressions and thoughts after tracking this car:
  1. The engine and exhaust were quiet with windows down;
  2. Wind buffeting occurred not only in 110+mph but also low speed (50-ish) sometimes;
  3. 1+2 combined together made it hard to up-shift at redline. Maybe I am not familiar enough with the car;
  4. PSM Off did not mean full off. in 0:33 you can see a light flash at the dash. Anyone knows why?
  5. The lack of mechanical LSD killed some fun during corner exits.
  6. The Sport Plus seats (4-way) did not provide proper latteral support at all.
Besides these, I was also new to the rear engined rear drive layout and, oh man, so much difference in terms of driving and cornering!

The car felt very stable overall, while aggresive trail braking can still rotate the car and brought the tail out slightly. The brakes were amazing and had held up through out the day, but I was being more conservative in braking because I did not want to ruin them in one day. The tires (P Zeros I think?) was not impressive and would get the ABS work easily.

Old 02-01-2022 | 04:32 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cherudim9
Hi fellows, I just brought my brother's 2022 Carrera (PDK) to the Thunderhill Raceway East with the bypass configuration. The car had just over 1k miles on it and everything was showroom status. Here are a few impressions and thoughts after tracking this car:
  1. The engine and exhaust were quiet with windows down;
  2. Wind buffeting occurred not only in 110+mph but also low speed (50-ish) sometimes;
  3. 1+2 combined together made it hard to up-shift at redline. Maybe I am not familiar enough with the car;
  4. PSM Off did not mean full off. in 0:33 you can see a light flash at the dash. Anyone knows why?
  5. The lack of mechanical LSD killed some fun during corner exits.
  6. The Sport Plus seats (4-way) did not provide proper latteral support at all.
Besides these, I was also new to the rear engined rear drive layout and, oh man, so much difference in terms of driving and cornering!

The car felt very stable overall, while aggresive trail braking can still rotate the car and brought the tail out slightly. The brakes were amazing and had held up through out the day, but I was being more conservative in braking because I did not want to ruin them in one day. The tires (P Zeros I think?) was not impressive and would get the ABS work easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi_yMHjCG_A
  1. The engine and exhaust were quiet with windows down; press down the PSE button if there is one or add an aftermarket exhaust if there isn't one.
  2. Wind buffeting occurred not only in 110+mph but also low speed (50-ish) sometimes; Easily fixed with the Awe wind buffeting inserts (AWE Foiler™ Wind Diffuser | AWE (awe-tuning.com)
  3. 1+2 combined together made it hard to up-shift at redline. Maybe I am not familiar enough with the car; Let the PDK do it's thing
  4. PSM Off did not mean full off. in 0:33 you can see a light flash at the dash. Anyone knows why? Even turned off, it will run in the background, just in case PSM becomes Please Save Me
  5. The lack of mechanical LSD killed some fun during corner exits. Suspension settings? Not really sure on this one,
  6. The Sport Plus seats (4-way) did not provide proper latteral support at all. Get buckets and 6-point harnesses. It's not really the seat alone that holds you in, it's combined with the 6 pt. harnesses

The following users liked this post:
cherudim9 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 08:51 PM
cherudim9
AutoX

Originally Posted by dgrobs
  1. The engine and exhaust were quiet with windows down; press down the PSE button if there is one or add an aftermarket exhaust if there isn't one.
  2. Wind buffeting occurred not only in 110+mph but also low speed (50-ish) sometimes; Easily fixed with the Awe wind buffeting inserts (AWE Foiler™ Wind Diffuser | AWE (awe-tuning.com)
  3. 1+2 combined together made it hard to up-shift at redline. Maybe I am not familiar enough with the car; Let the PDK do it's thing
  4. PSM Off did not mean full off. in 0:33 you can see a light flash at the dash. Anyone knows why? Even turned off, it will run in the background, just in case PSM becomes Please Save Me
  5. The lack of mechanical LSD killed some fun during corner exits. Suspension settings? Not really sure on this one,
  6. The Sport Plus seats (4-way) did not provide proper latteral support at all. Get buckets and 6-point harnesses. It's not really the seat alone that holds you in, it's combined with the 6 pt. harnesses
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the car did not come with PSE, as it was lightly optioned with only SportChrono and couple of other minor options.

Let me check out the AWE inserts.
Old 02-01-2022 | 09:23 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cherudim9
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately the car did not come with PSE, as it was lightly optioned with only SportChrono and couple of other minor options.

Let me check out the AWE inserts.
They’re awesome. Plug and play.

When I first put my 991.2 GT3 on the track at Watkins, by the time I got up the esses it sounded like there was a helicopter in the cockpit with me. Had the Awe Diffusers waiting for me when I got home 2 days later. $100 very well spent.

Now, about that safety equipment….
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022 | 09:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Its your brother's car. What does he say to this: tracking, mods, etc?

Quick Reply: Brought my 992 C2 to Thunderhill Raceway