Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prescription glasses fog up in helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022 | 07:05 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Question prescription glasses fog up in helmet

As I'm getting older I'm obliged to use eye correction for racing, so I got some prescription glasses. When I wear my Arai GP6 full face helmet, even with the visor up, closed cockpit car, I still have problems with my glasses fogging up, especially when I breathe out. So I was thinking of switching to an open face helmet (in the hopes my breath will not go up to my glasses like in a full face helmet, and hence not fog up). Any guys on here went through the same hassles ? Suggestions ? Or keep the helmet and apply a rainx like coating to the glasses ? All info welcome.

Point of reference, I have the Zeiss lenses with a drivesafe coating
Old 02-01-2022 | 07:57 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

There are a number of threads out there about this. I had gotten interested last year when starting HPDE and had also grappled with this when wearing loupes as a surgeon. The latter problem went away with the advent of anti-fog masks, with a plastic strip at the top that caught most of your breath vapor. The former (HPDE) went away when I realized I could drive with the visor open. In any event, a couple of things that might help:

1) A number of optical companies make antifog drops and wipes. Zeiss is the best IMO:
https://www.zeiss.com/vision-care/in...fog-spray.html

2) Wash your lenses with dish soap, relatively concentrated (maybe 3 - 4 parts water / 1 part dish soap), rinse lightly and dry with a microfiber. The idea is to leave a minimal soap film.

Also, sounds dumb, but concentrating on nasal rather than mouth breathing also helps.

Last edited by ldamelio; 02-01-2022 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-01-2022 | 09:07 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

My newest helmet has a flap that appears to be intended to direct exhaled air downward to keep it from fogging the face shield, and possibly glasses as well.
Old 02-01-2022 | 09:17 AM
jscott82
Drifting

Why not contact lenses?

I just started needing distance correction too. My issue was: with quick eye movements my eye were slower to focus with glasses. So I switched to contacts while driving.
Old 02-01-2022 | 09:22 AM
Slow RSA
Rennlist Member

It's a tough call, I eventually went to contacts. Glasses would fog, never sit right on my face when squeezed into a helmet, and effect my periphery vision. On the flip side, contacts move around and you have to blink a few times to get your vision back. Both choices have their drawbacks. But if you're committed to glasses, soap was mentioned above, but if it doesn't damage any special coatings you have, you can try shaving cream as well. That's a cheap trick for windshields, glasses, helmet visors, etc.
Old 02-01-2022 | 10:17 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bccars
As I'm getting older I'm obliged to use eye correction for racing, so I got some prescription glasses. When I wear my Arai GP6 full face helmet, even with the visor up, closed cockpit car, I still have problems with my glasses fogging up, especially when I breathe out. So I was thinking of switching to an open face helmet (in the hopes my breath will not go up to my glasses like in a full face helmet, and hence not fog up). Any guys on here went through the same hassles ? Suggestions ? Or keep the helmet and apply a rainx like coating to the glasses ? All info welcome.

Point of reference, I have the Zeiss lenses with a drivesafe coating
I have the exact same problem. Whether theyre prescription sunglasses or clear glasses they fog up in my helmet (Stilo) whether visor up or visor down. I installed an air system for my helmet Which completely fixed the problem plus it keeps me nice and cool.
Old 02-01-2022 | 11:36 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Before Lasik I would normally wear contacts. I had one pop out of my eye during a race, stick to my face, and I somehow got it back in without losing any time.

When I did wear glasses the use of a helmet blower would stop them from fogging. If you keep the bottom of your visor open just a crack it creates an airflow that almost always kept my glasses fog free.

I highly recommend Lasik! 10 minutes of extreme discomfort followed by about a month of mild discomfort is worth what you get.
Old 02-01-2022 | 01:12 PM
Dre01SS
Rennlist Member

In my motorcycle days, I used this and it worked beautifully: https://chickenhawkracing.com/produc...-breath-guard/
Still have it actually, but haven't tested on my Stilo since I use the built-in comms.
Old 02-01-2022 | 02:20 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

+1 for contact lenses.
If you're on the older side of life, mutlifocal lenses work great.
Old 02-03-2022 | 05:09 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some out. Funny that nobody ditched their full face helmet for an open face helmet :-)
Old 02-03-2022 | 08:57 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bccars
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some out. Funny that nobody ditched their full face helmet for an open face helmet :-)
They like their faces too much
Old 02-03-2022 | 03:03 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Been racing 25 years with glasses on. No issue once you start moving air circulating the car corrects any fogging. Key is dont put your visor down till your moving. Even then I always leave my visor open a little bit at the bottom. If its a really steamy day or something just use some no fog.

DE is different but with racing was always concerned if i went to contacts and I get a little dirt or something in my eye during the race it could really cause me issues trying to finish a race with eye issue. Lasik isnt an option my lens is thin, so I have been told by doctors not to.
Old 02-05-2022 | 05:16 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

The shape of your lenses may make a difference (larger/broader being worse). On the worst of cold wet days while heating the car up and driver preparation for a session I set my glasses in front of the vents while the air is on max heat. I have to take my glasses off anyway to put my helmet on.

Quick Reply: prescription glasses fog up in helmet