Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022 | 09:14 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

https://www.autosport.com/imsa/news/...attle/7763191/

Amazing...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-31-2022 | 09:36 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess my :48.1's on a 2011 on Pirellis ain't that bad then!

I get everyone's excitement at the end of the race. It was intense but, i ain't a fan of "rubbing is racing". That incident at the Bus Stop (sorry Le Mans chicane) could have ended up pretty badly. IMHO the attempted pass at the Bus Stop looked as a hail Mary ***** out send it attempt. He could have/should have (IMHO as an amateur) run him to the brake to point then set up a good shot out of the chicane for an exciting drag race to the chequered. He was so close he couldn't pass nor set up a pass after.

Glad no one was hurt. Some soiled nomex i suspect
The following 3 users liked this post by Juan Lopez:
Hawkpilot6060 (01-31-2022), M13S (01-31-2022), Nizer (02-02-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 11:21 AM
M13S
Instructor

Couldn't agree more. Vanthoor was elbows out and I thought for sure coming into the bus stop he was going to take them both out and hand the win to Ferrari.
The following users liked this post:
Juan Lopez (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 11:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

They're both consummate pros. From LV's post-race FB post this morning:

The following 8 users liked this post by ProCoach:
dogger15 (01-31-2022), Juan Lopez (01-31-2022), lcrain (02-07-2022), LuigiVampa (01-31-2022), Mahler9th (01-31-2022), matttheboatman (02-03-2022), mikew968 (01-31-2022), multi21 (01-31-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-31-2022 | 11:40 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I guess my :48.1's on a 2011 on Pirellis ain't that bad then!

I get everyone's excitement at the end of the race. It was intense but, i ain't a fan of "rubbing is racing". That incident at the Bus Stop (sorry Le Mans chicane) could have ended up pretty badly. IMHO the attempted pass at the Bus Stop looked as a hail Mary ***** out send it attempt. He could have/should have (IMHO as an amateur) run him to the brake to point then set up a good shot out of the chicane for an exciting drag race to the chequered. He was so close he couldn't pass nor set up a pass after.

Glad no one was hurt. Some soiled nomex i suspect
I think it was an extremely ambitious move, but I think it was just within the bounds of acceptable racing. In other words, it wasn't a move specifically designed to crash out the other car.

SEND IT!
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Juan Lopez (01-31-2022), Maxant13 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 12:42 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agreed

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think it was an extremely ambitious move, but I think it was just within the bounds of acceptable racing. In other words, it wasn't a move specifically designed to crash out the other car.

SEND IT!
Old 01-31-2022 | 01:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

SEND IT!
Jaminet’s post race quote says it all. Basically, he described the battle as “at the limit, perhaps over the limit” from his side. He didn’t say anything about LV other than that he realized the game had changed with the first square-on push into the brake zone at T3.

The compliments both have given each other, even immediately post race, reflected that they both had no issues with each other and instead, the highest respect. Remember, MJ is “junior” to LV in the factory driver hierarchy.
The following 3 users liked this post by ProCoach:
LuigiVampa (01-31-2022), M13S (01-31-2022), Mahler9th (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 03:48 PM
dogger15
Racer

I was on the edge of my seat for the last couple of laps thinking don't take each other out and hand the win to Ferrari. But those two had been close to that same level of intensity for a couple of hours. Good, hard racing and a real treat to watch.

The move by LV at the bus stop reminded me of the move Ricky Taylor tried at 10A on the final lap of the Petit Le Mans.

Great Result for MSR getting a second win a decade apart. I'm wondering what Chip Ganassi is thinking about the reliability of the Cadilac power plants after both of his cars suffered mechanical gremlins. You would think those engines would be close to bulletproof after so many years of development. Maybe some left over karma for being a Ford guy for so many years.

I have Peacock + this year so I decided to try the streaming route for this race. Interesting coverage. When the network goes to commercial, the streaming feed continues without commentary so you get treated to several minutes of pure racing sound in and out of the cars. I wish they had something similar available for F1.

I tried to stay up all night and watch it, but I didn't make it past hour 16. Come to think of it, I never made it through the night as a 20 year old either. Looking back, I think there was something about the rhythm of the sound from the cars (even the obnoxious RX-7s), that lulled you to sleep. I'm sure the cold temps and the need to crawl into a sleeping bag to thaw out played a part too - good times.

Fantastic start for the 2022 season, can't wait for Sebring.
ProCoach (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 06:25 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dogger15
(even the obnoxious RX-7s), .
Obnoxious ? (were you one of dad's neighbors in 1979-1990? the Rx-7 had a racing beat header and exhaust and the neighbors complained repeatedly)
dogger15 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 07:03 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

even the obnoxious RX-7s
I think it might've been Dorsey Schroeder who said that the exhaust noise from the RX7s would "make your ears bleed."
dogger15 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 07:08 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
The compliments both have given each other, even immediately post race, reflected that they both had no issues with each other and instead, the highest respect. Remember, MJ is “junior” to LV in the factory driver hierarchy.
Just as likely they were just assuaging the mother ship that they wouldn't harbor any animosity moving forward.

Originally Posted by stownsen914
I think it might've been Dorsey Schroeder who said that the exhaust noise from the RX7s would "make your ears bleed."
One of the few cars that sounds worse than a spec miata...
The following 3 users liked this post by Nizer:
dogger15 (01-31-2022), M13S (02-01-2022), zbomb (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 09:10 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

I've always said "the driver is the greatest variable in the racing equation."

A lot of the reason why, as the clock ticked down, the competitive mass of the GTD Pro field moved laps ahead of the same in GTD, was simply because the drivers are "shooting tighter groups" of lap times.Quicker groups, on average.

When the fast lap for GTD Pro is Laurens Vanthoor's 1:45.087 and for GTD is Jordan Pepper in the McLaren at 1:45.117, you know it ain't the cars!

Basically, the GTD Pro driver's lap time standard variation, IN TRAFFIC and WARMING UP TIRES, is far less than almost all the drivers in the Am class.

The P2 battle was intense. Deletraz was just sorry that he had to save fuel and it put him in the position to be passed by Herta (with contact). But, he's a professional, like Vanthoor.

Amazing race.
McLaren was just faster in a straight line.
Old 01-31-2022 | 09:15 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

I was on the edge of my seat for the last couple of laps thinking don't take each other out and hand the win to Ferrari. But those two had been close to that same level of intensity for a couple of hours. Good, hard racing and a real treat to watch.

The move by LV at the bus stop reminded me of the move Ricky Taylor tried at 10A on the final lap of the Petit Le Mans.

Great Result for MSR getting a second win a decade apart. I'm wondering what Chip Ganassi is thinking about the reliability of the Cadilac power plants after both of his cars suffered mechanical gremlins. You would think those engines would be close to bulletproof after so many years of development. Maybe some left over karma for being a Ford guy for so many years.

I have Peacock + this year so I decided to try the streaming route for this race. Interesting coverage. When the network goes to commercial, the streaming feed continues without commentary so you get treated to several minutes of pure racing sound in and out of the cars. I wish they had something similar available for F1.

I tried to stay up all night and watch it, but I didn't make it past hour 16. Come to think of it, I never made it through the night as a 20 year old either. Looking back, I think there was something about the rhythm of the sound from the cars (even the obnoxious RX-7s), that lulled you to sleep. I'm sure the cold temps and the need to crawl into a sleeping bag to thaw out played a part too - good times.

Fantastic start for the 2022 season, can't wait for Sebring.
try F1 TV
dogger15 (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022 | 11:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
McLaren was just faster in a straight line.
Umm, that’s a little too simplistic an analysis. Here’s the performance of the upper end of GTD.

Old 01-31-2022 | 11:37 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

I think Vanthoor and Jaminet each did what they had to do.

Didn't see anything too egregious, but race control did inform LV's spotter after the second straight-on "loosen up" into T3 under braking to cut that out, "no more intentional contact."

It's a fine line, and a master class put on by both drivers, IMO.
In looking closing at the video of them entering the bus stop, my observation is Vanthoor was committed to making an overtake (pavement or grass) and got his car along side. Jaminet was equally committed to not allow the overtake at all cost. Jaminet not only closed down all of the available pavement, but additionally drove into the grass, pushing Vanthoor further into the grass.

And being that Jaminet intentionally drove 4 wheels off, whereas Vanthoor was forced to drive 4 wheels off, I think Jaminet move was out of line.

I guess it can be argued that the right to go into the grass to make a pass does not belong exclusively to the overtaking car, but the car being overtaken has the right to go off course into the grass to prevent that from happening ???

Just Wow!!!

Last edited by matttheboatman; 01-31-2022 at 11:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Rolex 24 (Spoilers)