Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2022, 08:59 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 663 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by donR
Just as a follow up on my post above on the brakes in my 718 GTS. I took everyones advice and booked into my workshop ASAP. Unfortuantely the pads were worse that what could be seen from the outside with one rear down to the backing plate on one edge and one front almost down to the backing plate. There was also vertical and horizontal taper so the pads have also worn unevenly, in some places up to 2.5mm thicker along the bottom of the pad compared with the top. This has worn a groove along the innner circle of the rotor so I was advised to replace the rotors as well given the inner circle of the rotor is lower than the outher circle. I'll post some photos in a minute, where I think you can see the issue, including the uneven wear of the pads.

Being new to track driving this is a bit of a suprise to me but I've learnt about what people have said above, but also to check my pads more regularly, and that you really can't tell the condition from the front. My workshop suggested that I also rotate the pads due to the uneven wearing of the pads which should make the pads and rotors last a little longer. I was told that the DS3.12 pads were suited to the Girodisc so perhaps it is the level of track driving I am doing that is also wearing the pads and rotors prematurely. The events are time attack/supersprint so definitely hard on brakes, but I'd say these rotors have lasted less than one and a half pad sets, although that is probably 90%+ track driving.

I'm also thinking perhaps I should upgrade to AP racing brakes in the future and/or possibly the larger 991/992 6 piston brakes. Or maybe persevere with the current brakes and monitor more closely. Look forward to further suggestions.
Glad you did the full inspection Don! I am constantly telling people, "Don't just glance through your wheels and think your brakes are okay." One outer pad and disc face does not tell the whole story. Again, for anyone who missed it above, I suggest reading our "Essex Parts Track and Racing Brake Pad Owner's Guide." It talks about all the issues discussed in this post (and more), and could save you a lot of time, money, and headaches.

Your pad taper is very minor and very typical. We've seen much, much worse.

When you are ready for your next step in the brake hierarchy, definitely let us know. We have two different front options and a matching rear for the 718 GTS, which you can see here: https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0S/Iron%20disc
I'm happy to help you choose the one that is the best fit for you. We've had many customers who started with pads and fluid, worked their way through 2-piece discs, and ultimately landed on our complete brake kits as their final solution. It's a fairly standard path. Some people just forego all the messing around and go straight to our brake kits, but others aren't aware of all the benefits, so they take some intermediary steps and learn along the way.

We also did a blog post last week that aggregated some of the feedback on our AP Racing Brake Kits from various Porsche clients: https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog...-kit-is-a-must

Thanks, and glad we could be of assistance on recommending the full inspection.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Quick Reply: Ferodo ds11.1 vs 3.12 ?