Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 02:57 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 663 Likes on 370 Posts

Gents,

We get the, "Which Ferodo pad is right for me?" question daily. I took a few minutes to elaborate on our descriptions from a different slant. Thank you all for your continued purchases, and for sharing your feedback to help others in the community!

Please check out the story on our blog:

Which Ferodo Brake Pad Compound is Right for Me?

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
ANGST (02-05-2022), matttheboatman (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 03:00 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Gents,

We get the, "Which Ferodo pad is right for me?" question daily. I took a few minutes to elaborate on our descriptions from a different slant. Thank you all for your continued purchases, and for sharing your feedback to help others in the community!

Is there a specific Ferrodo pad for guys like me that suck at braking, brake too early, brake too late, get off the brakes too early, get off the brakes too late, trail off too much, trail off too little, and generally SUCK at braking?

Which Ferrodo is right for that guy?

Last edited by dgrobs; 02-02-2022 at 03:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by dgrobs:
JRitt@essex (02-02-2022), jwr9152 (02-03-2022), Kobalt (03-25-2022), Orca911 (08-05-2023)
Old 02-02-2022, 03:07 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Is there a specific Ferrodo pad for guys like me that suck at braking, brake too early, brake too late, get of the brakes too early, get off the brakes too late, trail off too much, trail off too little, and generally SUCK at braking?

Which Ferrodo is right for that guy?
Don't sell yourself short, you're a tremendous slouch!

Your pad funds will clearly be better spent on a caged Miata and pro driving school!

Old 02-02-2022, 03:27 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Don't sell yourself short, you're a tremendous slouch!

Your pad funds will clearly be better spent on a caged Miata and pro driving school!
Thanks Ty....

I did the Miata thing, fun...........but............no.

Pro Coaching....check!!!

So how do you measure yourself against other golfers?

By height........
The following users liked this post:
steved0x (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 05:19 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 555 Posts

@JRitt@essex Awesome write up/faq on the pads. That has me sold on trying 3.12 next. I never had any trouble with 1.11s on the GT4 on R7s, even under 2min at VIR, but the GT3 gets a little more velocity in play.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 491 Likes on 359 Posts

I only got six track days (4X20/25min) out of DS1.11s on the front of my 2013 Boxster S PDK with Hankook RS4s on 18s at Summit Point Main. I switched to the DS1.11s from ST43s. My son and I edge cracked Sebro slotted at VIR with the ST43s when we back to backed the car in two different groups. The pads were still in great shape, but we clearly over heated the front rotors. I wanted something less aggressive. Had no complaints about the DS1.11s, they were quiet on the track and street. I put another set of DS1.11s on the front but have another set of new front rotors and Pagid RS29s as replacements. I bought the DS1.11s from FCPEuro when they sold them for a short time early last year. Since they no longer carry Ferodo pads they will give me a refund when I "warranty" the fronts and rears. If I put on another set of Ferodo's on the front I would move "up" to DS3.12
JRitt@essex (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:44 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Thanks Ty....

I did the Miata thing, fun...........but............no.

Pro Coaching....check!!!

So how do you measure yourself against other golfers?

By height........
Lol...good stuff! Miata is great, but definitely not the answer to all things as some would suggest. I've owned six of them, and my Mariner Blue '92 set my record for the longest I've ever owned a car (ten years). They are a blast on small tracks, but I had time to eat my lunch while cruising down the back straight at VIR with the speedo pegged at 106 mph. I now have a Base 987 Boxster to fulfill my slow-car-fast role. It's a bit larger and heavier, but can actually get out of its own way, handles divinely, and sounds glorious with its PSE.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:59 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
@JRitt@essex Awesome write up/faq on the pads. That has me sold on trying 3.12 next. I never had any trouble with 1.11s on the GT4 on R7s, even under 2min at VIR, but the GT3 gets a little more velocity in play.
Thanks! Let me know what you think after you give them a twirl. The only complaint we ever get about the 3.12 is that they make it easier to get into ABS on street tires. Just remember that they will take some re-calibration of your leg and brain. When I first put them in my vette, I got into ABS super quick during my first few laps out. You have to focus on smoothly transitioning to the brakes then squeezing them, not stabbing and stomping them. After a few laps I was amazed at how easy they were to modulate/control, and how I could just scrub that little bit of speed as required to bend the car into the turn.

I remember the first time we saw Ferodo's brake dyno plot of the 3.12 during its development. We said to ourselves with a little eye roll, "Yah right." One of the reasons we have our own brake dyno in-house is so we can verify what we're being told and sold by brake pad manufacturers. We put them on our dyno and were stunned. We weren't sure we were seeing the data correctly because the torque curve was longer and flatter than any brake pad compound we had ever tested (from any manufacturer). The DS3.12 basically offers the same response across all temperature ranges from luke warm to glowing white hot. The pro drivers we work with really love them for that reason, and they can be used in all types of racing scenarios and environments. They feel exactly the same on every stop and every type of stop, and are truly something special. The fact that they are mostly silent is a giant dollop of whipped cream on top!
Old 02-03-2022, 08:59 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Lol...good stuff! Miata is great, but definitely not the answer to all things as some would suggest. I've owned six of them, and my Mariner Blue '92 set my record for the longest I've ever owned a car (ten years). They are a blast on small tracks, but I had time to eat my lunch while cruising down the back straight at VIR with the speedo pegged at 106 mph. I now have a Base 987 Boxster to fulfill my slow-car-fast role. It's a bit larger and heavier, but can actually get out of its own way, handles divinely, and sounds glorious with its PSE.
Hey now…….
Old 02-03-2022, 09:39 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Forgot to say....if you enjoyed this article, please be sure to check out our other related articles:

Essex track and racing pad owner's guide

Can I run my OEM brake pads on the track?

Old 02-03-2022, 06:39 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 222 Posts

Very informative, thank you. For those of us with Cayman’s, whose rears tend to waggle a bit under heavy braking, thoughts on running the 3.12s up front and 11.1s in the rear?
Old 02-03-2022, 07:16 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
Very informative, thank you. For those of us with Cayman’s, whose rears tend to waggle a bit under heavy braking, thoughts on running the 3.12s up front and 11.1s in the rear?
Good question. I'd hate to give up rear braking force and put more on the fronts that I'm trying to avoid ABS with, but on the other hand, my car's rear end wags like my lab's tail under hard braking.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:58 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNKT2
Should work better than 3.12 all round IMO, on my GT4 I've been running ds1.11 front with STOCK rears. I like to brake deep into corners and a stronger pad for the rear kept giving me oversteer. The only way to get the brake balance to where I liked it was keep the stock rear pads on. They lasted me an entire season (and are far from finished now) and the car set quite a few records.

PTSFX (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 01:37 PM
ShahulX
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do these new Ferodo pads needed to be bedded like older pads? or come pre-bed.. or just go out and track it and it'll bed then?
Old 02-05-2022, 04:49 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Should work better than 3.12 all round IMO, on my GT4 I've been running ds1.11 front with STOCK rears. I like to brake deep into corners and a stronger pad for the rear kept giving me oversteer. The only way to get the brake balance to where I liked it was keep the stock rear pads on. They lasted me an entire season (and are far from finished now) and the car set quite a few records.
That’s sorta what I figured so I’m going to give it a shot. I’ll try to remember to update this thread after my next event.

Quick Reply: Ferodo ds11.1 vs 3.12 ?