Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 S2 race pads - replacement for the awesome PFC08?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022 | 08:56 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Default 944 S2 race pads - replacement for the awesome PFC08?

No luck in 944 forum so:
Hi All.

S2 race car with standard brakes, 33/5 bias valve, front 3" tube ventilation to backing plates. rear just plastic scoops.

Now that the awesome PFC 08 compound is unavailable at the moment, I've been using pfc11 for the last couple of sprint seasons.

The 08 just feels well balanced in the car, the pedal force is low and well modulatable. Friction levels feel high. Front pad wear is almost negligable.
The 11 takes way more force and feels much less controllable. You have to mash the pedal like the Mu is way down. front pad wear IS OFF THE CHARTS BAD WISE. Seems bias is way too much to the front - possibly the rears are not getting hot enough. Caliper temps higher in the front with the 11. 11 gouges into the rotors. 08 gives the nice "slate" finish.

What is a good pfc08 alternative? the 11 only lasts about 2 weekends in the front. The 08 will near do half a season or more. Of course rear wear is negligable with both compounds.
Old 01-27-2022 | 07:30 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

If you look up the manufactures charts you may be able the see the friction/ heat coefficients and cross over to another manufacturer..i know hawk and padgid has them posted…
Old 01-27-2022 | 09:46 AM
Nicks2
Rennlist Member

I’ve had decent luck with hawk DTC 70/60 - very similar setup to yours, sometimes use 70/70. They are not as good in terms of feel as PFC08s but cheaper and frequently run discounts / free shipping, Get about 3-5 weekends from the fronts depending on type of tracks, rears wear about half as quick. Rotors are not gouged. Not sure of hawk supply in NZ.
Old 01-28-2022 | 05:00 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Not a Pagid fan. I prefer to pay reasonable prices and expect to be able to use a pad after it's half worn.
Endless is becoming big here in nz.
Old 01-28-2022 | 05:02 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GPA951s
If you look up the manufactures charts you may be able the see the friction/ heat coefficients and cross over to another manufacturer..i know hawk and padgid has them posted…
I've never been able to find PFC's graphs! all the others yes.
Old 01-28-2022 | 12:53 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Go to Cobalt Friction website. Installed Cobalt Friction on 944 race car and love them, great even grip and fantastic release, no surprises.

Can also try Porterfield brake pads, ran them for years and performed to expectations. Less expensive than Cobalt Friction
Old 01-28-2022 | 01:29 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by T&T Racing
Go to Cobalt Friction website. Installed Cobalt Friction on 944 race car and love them, great even grip and fantastic release, no surprises.

Can also try Porterfield brake pads, ran them for years and performed to expectations. Less expensive than Cobalt Friction
you guys also use a different pad front and rear from their range right?
Old 01-29-2022 | 06:36 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

you guys also use a different pad front and rear from their range right?
Yes, the friction factor difference between front and rear plus smaller rear piston/brake pad area bias more to front braking thus reducing potential oversteer in heavy braking
The brake pad dust from Cobalt Tech is easy to clean off wheels, not greasey.

Last edited by T&T Racing; 01-29-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2022 | 02:38 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Here are some comparison/graphs of PFCs offerings. I have no idea why they don't just publish the coefficient of friction on that temperature table like most other manufacturers....Hard to compare across other brands.

Pad compounds • PFC Brakes - Performance Friction

Last edited by Ubermensch; 02-07-2022 at 02:40 PM. Reason: wrong link

Quick Reply: 944 S2 race pads - replacement for the awesome PFC08?