Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What HPDE Track Tires are available for my 997.2 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022 | 10:19 PM
sf_c63
Rennlist Member

After 10 track days and roughly 40 heat cycles, my Hankook RS-4's corded and delaminated on my last session of the day.

Shopping for tires it seems like there are very limited options. I contacted trackdaytire.com to see if they have any Toyo r888r's in stock, but in the event they don't I only really see the Michelin Sport Cup 2's as an alternative option. The Continental Extreme ContactForce tires are available in a narrower size. I've been told SC2's will heat cycle out extremely quickly - like 16 heat cycles. Has this been everyone's experience as well? I drive my 997.1 120 miles to/from the track and usually run in a slow advanced group.

Old 02-01-2022 | 10:50 AM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

I would agree with the ~16 to 20 heat cycles on the PSC2s. That is about how long they lasted me before losing grip. No physical issues with wear, just grip loss.

As mentioned above, I was able to find the Falken R660's in my size at Discount Tire and I believe they could also find Toyo R888R's. Very happy with the Falkens as I set a new PB at my last DE. Wear continues to be an issue for me as I should be able to get one more weekend out of the set (two weekends seem to be the limit for me on every tire I have tried - PSC2, RE71, and now R660). I do get even wear as I have installed GT3 LCA's on the front and run about 3 degrees negative camber on all four corners. Not sure if my wear issues are also due to an abrasive track (MSR Houston) or my driving style.

I understand the Goodyear F1's will be available in April so will likely try those later this year.

BTW I run near the front of the white (advanced) group and I also drive about an hour each way to the track (on the track tires).

Good luck!

Quick Reply: What HPDE Track Tires are available for my 997.2 C2S?