Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What HPDE Track Tires are available for my 997.2 C2S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 09:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Not sure about sizing but when i couldnt find s set of nt01s, i tried some federal fz201 in the medium compound and like them
Old 12-26-2021, 09:57 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 667 Posts

+1 for NT-01s if you can get them.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Stay away from Purple Crack!! (Ask me why. Go ahead, ask me. I dare ya....)
Are the "Purple Crack" Hoosier's? Why stay away, I love them. I would love them more if I was a multi-super billionaire, but I find a way to deal with the cost. Why do you not like them?
Old 12-26-2021, 11:14 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
Are the "Purple Crack" Hoosier's? Why stay away, I love them. I would love them more if I was a multi-super billionaire, but I find a way to deal with the cost. Why do you not like them?
My sarcasm meter clearly needs some work….

What I spent on R-7’s last season for both track cars could have bought me a 3rd track car…..

Old 12-26-2021, 12:01 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
My sarcasm meter clearly needs some work….

What I spent on R-7’s last season for both track cars could have bought me a 3rd track car…..
oh yes, I get that. I have a 2009 Cayman S Dedicated track car. And we just bought a 2019 GT3RS. For the RS I bought a set of Forge Lane 19 inch wheels, and I’ve been running 295/19f and 345/19r. Had that car since October, going to buy my third set of Hoosiers this afternoon. So yeah.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Surfndav
oh yes, I get that. I have a 2009 Cayman S Dedicated track car. And we just bought a 2019 GT3RS. For the RS I bought a set of Forge Lane 19 inch wheels, and I’ve been running 295/19f and 345/19r. Had that car since October, going to buy my third set of Hoosiers this afternoon. So yeah.
Between instructing, driving, and getting coached, I had the 2 cars on track about a hundred days total last season. Everyone of them on R-7’s. I added up what I spent on tires last season. Very ugly, but a “fun” sort of ugly. Very hard to go back to the 888R’s or 71R’s after using the Hoohoos. You’ve been warned. Those Hoosiers make heroin seem like a taste for something salty, or however that saying goes. Purple Crack!! Enjoy…..
Old 12-26-2021, 02:07 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Don't Try "Purple Crack", unless...

...you are ready for addiction. They come up to speed on the first lap...some folks do one moderate heat cycle 24 hours before pushing these tires to your limits. The Hoosier R7 are DOT 40 tires....but they ain't cheap, Track Day Tire, in addition to selling Hoosiers (They own Hoosier) also sells the Toyo RR DOT 40. I was desperate for tires in the late fall and bought two sets in 235/35/19 and 295/30/19. I was formerly running RE-71R tires 255/35/19 and 305/30/19. One would think that the former would be too narrow compared to the later. When I stacked a set of each brand side by side, the height of both stacks appeared to be nearly identical. How can this be? Well it is as seen in the pic below...the RE-71 R tire stack is a wee bit taller, but not by much....after you submit your :"racing credentials: to Track Day tire, you'll receive a code giving you an additional 8% discount. In addition, to CA sales tax and free freight. They were $950 delivered...they arrived in about 2 days, seems there is a warehouse in Sacramento, CA. I can hardly wait to try these out, one more weekend remaining on the RE-71R tires.

TOYO RR on the left, RE-71R tires on the right.

Although limited somewhat in size options, the. new CONTINENTAL Extreme ContactForce may be worth considering, about $1,250 delivered in the sizes below.
235/35/19 DOT 200
295/30/19 DOT 40
TrackDayTire.con
https://trackdaytire.com/continentalpreorder/

Old 12-26-2021, 03:49 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
...you are ready for addiction. They come up to speed on the first lap...some folks do one moderate heat cycle 24 hours before pushing these tires to your limits. The Hoosier R7 are DOT 40 tires....but they ain't cheap, Track Day Tire, in addition to selling Hoosiers (They own Hoosier) also sells the Toyo RR DOT 40. I was desperate for tires in the late fall and bought two sets in 235/35/19 and 295/30/19. I was formerly running RE-71R tires 255/35/19 and 305/30/19. One would think that the former would be too narrow compared to the later. When I stacked a set of each brand side by side, the height of both stacks appeared to be nearly identical. How can this be? Well it is as seen in the pic below...the RE-71 R tire stack is a wee bit taller, but not by much....after you submit your :"racing credentials: to Track Day tire, you'll receive a code giving you an additional 8% discount. In addition, to CA sales tax and free freight. They were $950 delivered...they arrived in about 2 days, seems there is a warehouse in Sacramento, CA. I can hardly wait to try these out, one more weekend remaining on the RE-71R tires.

TOYO RR on the left, RE-71R tires on the right.

Although limited somewhat in size options, the. new CONTINENTAL Extreme ContactForce may be worth considering, about $1,250 delivered in the sizes below.
235/35/19 DOT 200
295/30/19 DOT 40
TrackDayTire.con
Smoke the Crack Marty.

Smoke the Crack!!!!

Old 12-26-2021, 06:01 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I do see less tread pattern in my future. Right now I have to drive about an hour each way to get to the track as well as the need to drive back home on Sunday afternoon (I have driven home on corded tires, anxiously awaiting the worst but have been lucky so far).

I still haven't made the full commitment as I do drive my 911 on the street. And along with stickier tires I will need a trailer and tow vehicle and ....(trying to budget for that sooner than later while keeping threats of a divorce minimized).

I have an event coming up in three weeks and it appears there are limited choices in what is available - Toyo R88Rs, NT01s, PSC2s, and RT660s. As I mentioned above, I do need to swap out the tires at home and drive to the track so I am leaning towards the Falkens to start the year and then determine what will be the next tire (and all the other stuff...) will be.

And the addiction continues...
Old 12-26-2021, 07:25 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by L8 APXR
I do see less tread pattern in my future. Right now I have to drive about an hour each way to get to the track as well as the need to drive back home on Sunday afternoon (I have driven home on corded tires, anxiously awaiting the worst but have been lucky so far).

I still haven't made the full commitment as I do drive my 911 on the street. And along with stickier tires I will need a trailer and tow vehicle and ....(trying to budget for that sooner than later while keeping threats of a divorce minimized).

I have an event coming up in three weeks and it appears there are limited choices in what is available - Toyo R88Rs, NT01s, PSC2s, and RT660s. As I mentioned above, I do need to swap out the tires at home and drive to the track so I am leaning towards the Falkens to start the year and then determine what will be the next tire (and all the other stuff...) will be.

And the addiction continues...
All of those choices have about the same grip level and the RT660 will be better in wet weather and won't heat cycle out as fast as the SC2 or 888R.

Peter
Old 12-27-2021, 09:57 PM
Saltybrad
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

A lot of folks tow a tire hauler behind their track car while on street shoes.
Old 12-28-2021, 08:19 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Saltybrad
A lot of folks tow a tire hauler behind their track car while on street shoes.
I'd consider it....don't know if there is a hitch that will fit a 991.2 GTS. This is a problem I relish, even with pesky center locks. Love to discover a hitch.

If I were to get a tire trailer, it would force me to master the art of changing center lock wheels, on the surface to me, a scary proposition.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:29 PM
Saltybrad
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd consider it....don't know if there is a hitch that will fit a 991.2 GTS. This is a problem I relish, even with pesky center locks. Love to discover a hitch.

If I were to get a tire trailer, it would force me to master the art of changing center lock wheels, on the surface to me, a scary proposition.
I've seen Caymans with a hitch that comes through the license plate. As far as the centerlocks go, we changed the GT3 my Brother had fairly easily. Just get the high strength torque wrench and have a buddy hold the brake pedal.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:52 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

"As far as the centerlocks go, we changed the GT3 my Brother had fairly easily. Just get the high strength torque wrench and have a buddy hold the brake pedal"

Good advice.....that's for the tip.

]
Old 01-01-2022, 11:12 AM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 185 Posts

235/35/19 DOT 200
295/30/19 DOT 40
TrackDayTire.con
These look very promising. They sound like an improved RS4, which I really liked, and have 6GT3 sizes coming. Does anyone have experience with them?

I need something I can drive to the track on, including wet mornings, and the only option at the moment that won’t burn up quickly seems to be Cup 2s.

Quick Reply: What HPDE Track Tires are available for my 997.2 C2S?