Rennbay Ball Joint Kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 02:12 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennbay Ball Joint Kits

Any word on the updated ball joint repair kits yet?
Old 04-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim

I have never heard of them. Who makes them? I have been having a heated discussion on a arm problems on 944's on a thread about the SCCA and Geo. If somone made something that really worked it could solve a lot of problems.

Please email me directly at BillLSeifert@aol.com and I will try and check it out. I don't work, and have plenty of time.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race car
Old 04-12-2004, 06:42 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill,

If you go to Rennbay.com you can see the kits and instructions. They also had an updated version that was suppose to come out any time. If you have any questions, their are a ton of threads to query.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:10 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I emailed them, and will let you know what they say. Even if you have to rebuild them every year, it wouldn't cost too much. I think the deluxe kit is $89.95. I think that would be safer than putting new ones on, and waiting to see a problem. By the way is your ITS #69 a 944? Does it have alum a arms? I remember seeing your name on the results list from the Turkey Trot at Sebring last November, but it didn't say what kind of car you had. Is having a famous racing name a curse or blessing? That is how I remember you. Now I can say I was in a race with Jimmy Clark. Are you going to the Rennsport II at Daytona? If so, look me up.

Bill
Old 04-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Dave
Race Car

I just got my package from Rennbay, hopefully I'll have some "before and after" info in a few days.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:04 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Dave,

Great, please email me directly with the results. BillLSeifert@aol.com

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 04-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill,
I'm running a 944 NA and yes it has the aluminum arms. I did run in the Nov. Trots this past year at Sebring and the car did quite well. I agree with the annual rebuild vs. $1500 for charlie arms. I'm waiting on the new kits that are supposed to be out this month before doing mine. As for the name, it's pretty cool. My dad states he did a family tree and came across a link, so that's how I got the name.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the word on the Rennbay updated (geometry correction) kits. The arm kits will be out sometime next week. They new kit option will only be for cars lowered 1"- 2" from stock. They will eliminate the binding you have at the ball joint that is present on all lowered cars with aluminum arms. They fix this problem with a one piece, lengthened ball pin that brings the aluminum arm back to a horizontal position in relation to the car. The kits have been in the "testing" phase for about 30 days now and they are working beautifully.
To accompany our new kits for lowered cars we are also coming out with our own springs. They will fit the stock spring hats and struts and will be 2" lower than stock. We will have the option to purchase a 1" spacer for people not wanting to go the whole 2". The springs will have the option of 200lb or 250lb and be duel rate (progressive rate). If there is enough interest shown in a heavier spring we will produce it as well. The springs should be ready in just over 1 month. The springs will only cover the standard suspension cars and will not be available for the MO30/adjustable struts.
For those of you with "track only" cars that are interested in rebuilding the joints once a year please contact me. We have a few extra options that are not listed on Rennbay that may work well in your situation.
If anyone has any questions about the new ball joint kits, springs or ball joint service options please email me at travis@rennbay.com .
Old 04-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Travis,

Thanks, I just made a copy of your post, I'll be in touch.

Bill
Old 04-14-2004, 04:51 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Travis, will your new pin be grooved all the way around for the clamp bolt, or only slotted on one side? I'd like to see only slotted on one side, for the additional strength. I'll e-mail you as you get to release, I'm very interested.

Sam
Old 04-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had them slotted all the way around , just like the original ones. The weakest point is not going to be the slot but it will be the taper where the pin gets smaller going down to the ball.
During the design we played with a few different Rockwell hardnesses for the pins. What we settled on was a nice middle point between strength and rigidity. They are soft enough so they they will bend before they break but hard enough to withstand anything short of a head on collision before doing so.
Someone had asked about SCCA. If they will allow the stock arms to be used I do not see why they would frown on an upgraded ball joint being put in. To be totally honest with you, with the joints installed only an expert eye could even tell the difference.
They should be released next week as I said above but I am not making any promises. I want everything to be perfect before I let any of them out and that includes a mirror polish on the ***** and high wear ball joint bushings.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Outstanding......

I will send you an e-mail direct about the track only options.

Quick Reply: Rennbay Ball Joint Kits