Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
A skin-sensor to measure core temp? Is it validated against gold standards for core temp?
The sensor uses a thermal transfer technology that is used in other medical devices. It is being used in a number of clinical studies around the world and high demand athletic environments. They are also using it for at home monitoring of various illness as well. In testing, it has the same level of accuracy of .21 C as the e-pill solutions. With the standard e-pills or rectal temps, you can not do them in cars. Most sanctioning bodies do not allow internal devices anymore and they are not able to be integrated with the data systems.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:02 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The sensor uses a thermal transfer technology that is used in other medical devices. It is being used in a number of clinical studies around the world and high demand athletic environments. They are also using it for at home monitoring of various illness as well. In testing, it has the same level of accuracy of .21 C as the e-pill solutions. With the standard e-pills or rectal temps, you can not do them in cars. Most sanctioning bodies do not allow internal devices anymore and they are not able to be integrated with the data systems.
Whoa, wait! Rectal temps were a thing at some point until someone put a stop to it?
Old 08-24-2021, 09:37 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Whoa, wait! Rectal temps were a thing at some point until someone put a stop to it?
I'm not saying it never happened in a race car, but I have no knowledge of it! The closest thing I have seen to that is the e-pill that you swallow.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:20 AM
9912B
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th

A skin-sensor to measure core temp? Is it validated against gold standards for core temp?
Does "gold standard" mean the "silver bullet"?
Old 08-24-2021, 10:24 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

All I know is my rectal temps at NJMP race were wayyyy up. My *** felt like it was on fire Thank G_d for NJMP selling cool suit shirts because dummy me left mine at home. Although I still cant find it there
Old 08-25-2021, 08:13 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Same photos, more words in my blog. https://trailbrake.com/data-analysis...nd-heart-rate/

If folks are interested, I can post up more about the hardware required to do this as well.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:35 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I think rectal temps were an added bonus for some drivers, I hear they are popular among Cup car drivers
Old 08-26-2021, 10:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
I think rectal temps were an added bonus for some drivers, I hear they are popular among Cup car drivers
Chime in, LV!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

The following users liked this post:
Matt Romanowski (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 12:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Chime in, LV!
The secret about why Cup car drivers are so fast is finally revealed!
Old 08-27-2021, 07:26 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 66 Posts

Only interesting if it's temp AND pressure...
Old 08-27-2021, 10:55 AM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Matt, interesting data.
I was at Lime Rock 8/14. It was in the mid-80's and humid because of an earlier shower. I went out in the first session not using the CoolShirt and did the 20 minute session.

in the second session, I went out with the CoolShirt operating and could only stay out for 10 minutes before losing concentration.

In the third session, I went out with the CoolShirt operating and could only stay out for 8 minutes before the obvious occurred.

Conclusions.
The first session, the helmet foam temperature was lower than ambient temperature.
The second and third sessions the helmet foam temperature was above ambient and maybe in the 9OF's. I had a temperature probe but did not think about taking temperatures. I used my hand to my head to determine relative forehead temperature to body hand temperature. My observation was my forehead surface temperature was about 100F range.

I could not cool my head temperature down between sessions even with soaking with cold cloth. Putting the hot helmet made my head temp rise while driving the car.
So I just purchased a CoolShirt bacavala to cool the head and helmet.

Matt, suggest using another temp sensor to measure forehead temp to see difference between body and head.
Old 08-27-2021, 11:51 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by T&T Racing

Matt, suggest using another temp sensor to measure forehead temp to see difference between body and head.
Interesting idea. It would be easy to do with a wired sensor, but wireless might be harder (everything show here was only on me and transmitted RF to the receiver). There is a small temp sender, but I'm not sure it would fit in a helmet. It might be worth a try, though I'm sure it wouldn't be Snell or FIA compliant.

Quick Reply: Heating up while driving