Sponsored by:

Trailer Flooring Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004 | 05:57 PM
LanceK
Pro

Default Trailer Flooring Options?

I just bought a new 24' toy box.

The walls and ceiling are finished but the floor is bare plywood.

I was looking for advice and comments on what type of flooring to install.

Some I've seen are:

Diamond plate: nice but concerned about weight, cost, and practicality.

"Black Rubber": I've seen this at the track but not sure how is wears, cost, and where to find an installer.

Also I am going to install E-track along with the floor so that is a consideration

TIA
Old 04-05-2004 | 06:32 PM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: Trailer Flooring Options?

I would recommend carpet.

It's not slippery when wet, Hot tires won't peal it up from the floor.
Hard to clean big spills.

Just my $.02
Old 04-06-2004 | 09:44 AM
jim911
Racer

Gray paint with a little fine sand mixed in. Easy to clean, refinish.
Old 04-06-2004 | 10:15 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

I was going to recommend diamond plate, because a friend of mine put it in his 24 footer. It didn't seem to hard of a job, but I found out today, he got it real cheap because it had been cut for someone else, and they cut it too short. He got it very cheap, but he said it is super expensive if you have to pay retail.

I have carpet in mine, and it works ok, but usually looks awful because of oil leaks. It can't be swept, and has to be vacuumed out. But overall, I guess it is the best option. It looks good about twice a year, the start of the season, and after the one time I vacuum it.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
1991 Pace 22 Foot Trailer
Old 04-06-2004 | 10:40 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

The plywood that I have seen in car trailers delaminates in two or three years if exposed to moisture. That being the case carpet, especially wet carpet, will accelerate this. My featherlite has plywood floor and ramp. The ramp has the initial signs of coming apart from the rain while the ramp is down. The paint with sand non skid mix is probably the most practical answer. The colored tile pattern glued down is more expensive but the best look.
Old 04-06-2004 | 11:03 AM
Adam Richman
Pro

Bill, if you are talking about the paint used for garage floors, that is what I intend to use. In talking to some folks this was their recommendation (none of them slept in a Holiday Inn however). The downside I have heard on the vinyl tiles is that a gas spill will dislocate them easily. A friend had a 5 gal gas can fall over and by days end, the entire floor had come up. What a freaking mess.
Old 04-06-2004 | 11:08 AM
LanceK
Pro

Anybody seen the black rubber floors?

What's the scoop on those?
Old 04-06-2004 | 05:28 PM
Glenn from Denver
Instructor

I was thinking about using one of those garage mats cut down to the right width and fastened with screws/washers. I was also thinking about laying 2 diamond plate runners in order to protect the mat from ripping when the car is tied down and the tires are full of rocks/etc.

Anybody see a reason why this won't work?
Old 04-07-2004 | 08:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

In the latest PitPal catalog (#15) on pages 66 & 67 they have several flooring options from RaceDeck: show tile $6 each, free flow illusion tile $2.99, fast deckfor $3.75 each and diamond tile for $4.25 each. All of these are 12"x12 snap fit tiles. On page 67 they show Hartman Flooring for $2.79/sq ft. They mention quantity discounts available.
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:44 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

The black rubber you're referring to, is it permanent or layed down like tiles??

...I've seen both.

The permanent answer is truck spray-in bedliner - of which I'm considering that option...the black rubber tiles, seen in gyms, etc. is a good removable, but pricey option. At least you can pull it up now and then to cleanup.

I have an acquaintance that had his trailer done in truck spray-in bedliner, I'm going to wait awhile to see how it looks with hot tires, travelling with the car sitting on it, etc.

I already have diamondplate pieces where my wheels sit...so I would imagine a good idea would be to screw them back down, over the truck bedliner, as I would think the bedliner would eventually wear through/peel up.

Diamondplate, as previously mentioned is DAMNED expensive if paying retail, I lucked out and got a 12ft. x 4ft. piece from a guy who had one leftover - $100
Old 04-08-2004 | 11:47 AM
LanceK
Pro

Jeff...the black rubber I am referring to is permanent.

Although I haven't had the chance to look at it in detail or ask anyone for details.

I looks durable, easy to sweep etc.

I have a picture if I can just figure out how to post...

Quick Reply: Trailer Flooring Options?