Buying scrubs for practice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 07:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Originally Posted by JP66
Wow . . . of course, like everything else in life there are two sides to the discussion. So for those mostly against the idea what if . . . and I have no idea if this is a possibility or not . . . but what if we were talking about tires from the "rich" guys at SST. I'd know the exact history of the tire, and I'm pretty sure SST wouldn't let me drive something that wasn't safe. I bet Todd throws his scrubs away all the time once he starts missing the apex by more than an "angstrom" (I hear that's the newest measurement of apex closeness that all the cool guys are using)
I drive my tires until I know I am not learning anything anymore. As Dan rightly pointed out, tires are cheaper than bodywork.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don’t know... while I could see doing that early in my career, due to financial necessity, I can’t see doing this now. I wouldn’t recommend anyone who’s trying to develop the car or themselves, as well as “stretch” their own comfort level to do so, either.

It’s not a safety issue, it’s a performance issue. One hugely multiplied on slicks, as opposed to R-comps. SST will look after/out fo you, for sure. If you needed some to finish the weekend, fine.

But, to comfortably find the limit, gauge the balance of the car (that’s what changes as slicks wear) and build confidence in the platform beneath you, you should look at new tires, properly brought in, as an investment.

Besides, LV is going quick enough in his new car to “get the good” out of anything he discards!
Thank you Peter but as you know there is always room for improvement. While I feel much more comfortable in the Cup there is still much work to be done before I get to the same level of comfort I had in the Cayman. I am still in total F-ing awe of this car and the things it can do! It is an amazing machine.

Originally Posted by good hands
Buy new tires. Put that set on for qualifying and races. Use them for the test and tune and practice at next race. Rinse and repeat. Use old tires for DE's. Yoke's and Pirelli's lasted 20 heat cycles or more doing DE's. If you do 5 race weekends a year you'll have a sh*t load of scrubs. Just ask my wife
+1

It is the only way I justify buying 2 or 3 sets of stickers in a race weekend. I know I am going to use them for DEs and other track days. If I have to buy stickers for a DE it means I made a planning mistake at some point.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (05-20-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 12:06 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

It's a roll of the dice, every single time. I have bought used tires on a few occasions from the people mentioned in this thread, and from a few others. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they are literally garbage you can't use. Everyone says they "only have 4 or 5 hear cycles", that's BS. Back when I had my own tire mounting/balance equipment I could sort of justify it. Much harder to do when paying a shop to mount them and driving around town to do it. These days I'd rather run a set of new Nittos or similar and have a consistent tire from start to finish. I think it's a false economy, unless you are getting them from a personal friend or free. Been there, done that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cory M:
Matt Romanowski (05-21-2021), ProCoach (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 08:52 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

A couple of points to clarify:
1) The OP asked about DE’s. If you’re just having fun at a DE, mostly social and all fun, no serious business, then scrubs are an easy no-brainer.
2) LV provided an analysis based on scrubs being 1/2 the price of stickers, my experience has been 1/4 the price of stickers which has a big impact on the conclusions.

i’ve been running scrubs at DE’s for a couple of years. Every now and then, about one out of six, I will get a bad set. Otherwise I easily get 2 to 3 days ( 8 to 12 sessions) out of a set. I did the math and it was a no-brainer. All of this is predicated on having fun at a DE, nothing serious.
Veloce Raptor (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 12:57 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabs1542
A couple of points to clarify:
1) The OP asked about DE’s. If you’re just having fun at a DE, mostly social and all fun, no serious business, then scrubs are an easy no-brainer.
2) LV provided an analysis based on scrubs being 1/2 the price of stickers, my experience has been 1/4 the price of stickers which has a big impact on the conclusions.

i’ve been running scrubs at DE’s for a couple of years. Every now and then, about one out of six, I will get a bad set. Otherwise I easily get 2 to 3 days ( 8 to 12 sessions) out of a set. I did the math and it was a no-brainer. All of this is predicated on having fun at a DE, nothing serious.
The issue I have with your statement is not the cost versus what you get as there are many variables. I accede that point. My pushback is that it is "only a DE" and thus the tires don't matter.

Again, I will accede that most people are not driving 10/10ths in a DE like they may be in a race, but my view of a DE is that it is Driver EDUCATION, and I am there to learn. If I just want to turn laps I could do that on corded tires. You can't learn as much on older tires.

People will have different opinions and goals so I am not saying there is a right or wrong answer.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
Matt Romanowski (05-21-2021), skeeler (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 01:05 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't think it's worth doing the math, because as I said it's a roll of the dice on tire life. But if you do, make sure you factor spending 2-3x the time and money mounting and balancing tires. There are more good 1-200 treadwear track tire options available now than ever before.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:41 PM
skeeler
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I've tried to do the math on this and there are two factors to consider: 1. number of heat cycles left in the tires; 2. grip left in the tires.

Lets say you pay 50% of the cost of stickers for a set of take-offs. Normally, they will have about 70% of the number of heat cycles left in the tires, which is a good number, but the grip is immediately off by 20% and goes down with each heat cycle (depending on brand and type of tire).

Although the cost may be good for the number of heat cycles left in the car what are you learning on old tires? A part of me says "you are learning how to manage grip" so it is worthwhile. Sometimes I deliberately go out on old tires to get that "late in enduro race feeling" and that is useful. However, you can't make setup changes using take-offs and it is hard to try "new things" on take-offs as well. Good tires are the only true baseline.

While I ride my tires down until they have nothing left I'm not a huge fan of buying take-offs. What is the delta between paying full freight, learning on stickers, and driving them down to nothing versus the cost savings of take-offs and starting with a lesser level of grip? Believe me when I say I want to save money but at the end of the day I just don't see a huge benefit for the cost savings. I'd rather stay at a cheaper hotel and save the money for tires (but not the Seneca Lodge!)
Excellent points.......I was of that philosophy before, but now I am right on par with your game plan. Buy stickers, and hell if need be, sleep in the trailer that weekend to offset the cost. lol
ProCoach (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 06:15 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 81 Posts

I have bought used slicks from Roger Kraus Racing nearby, and from John Berget who is back in my home state of WI.

I have done so at various times for about a decade and a half...I'd say 90% of the time it has been worthwhile based on my use cases.

I have also acquired used tires at pro racing events, and from friends that change tires more frequently. Free. But of course I had to pay for dismount, mount and balance work.

Again I'd say 90% of the time it has been worthwhile based on my use cases.

For me defining the use cases has been critical in my decision-making and assessment of benefit.

In my case, these use cases were much easier to define during periods when I was driving and racing a lot.

And of course during that period, my wife was driving the same car, also at a pretty high level and frequently.

It's all about the tires...

Is the "it" just fun? Is the "it" winning a race or time trial?

Is the "it" the same for every event, every type of event and so on?

"It" depends.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:49 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I ran my 987.2 for 6 years with Pirelli DH take-off's from JB. Very few bad tires in all that time and he always made good on anything bad. But, I wonder in hind sight what have I been missing. So, now that I have the GT4 my thoughts have changed and I will be buying stickers for the future.
ProCoach (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 11:05 AM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 77 Posts

I ran used DHs for a couple years. Very much a good value, at least then. It was usually about $600 for a set, vs $2200 new. Decent performance and track life because the DHs lose the initial 2-second advantage pretty quick but then fall off more slowly after that.

One nice takeaway from that time is that I leaned to be much more in tune with the tires, since you had no idea what you were mounting, and they often aren’t matched. The first couple sessions were always pretty exciting. Straight line acceleration can bend the car one way, and then stepping on the brakes can send the car the other way (!!) until the tires settled in for the car.

If going this route I’d suggest stocking up at the end of the season, when teams are ditching their scrubs. In the spring used tires can be scarce and the ones you get can be really beat up, as teams are doing a lot more setup, etc.

Last edited by Difool; 05-22-2021 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying scrubs for practice.