Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duramax/Allison vs. Powerstroke/Torqushift

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 PM
LanceK
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave...my comments regarding Ford brakes are drawn from my former life as a FoMoCo employee and seeing customer problems first hand. Also I had access to internal statistics (i.e. brake warranty issues). In addition I was witness to numerous conversations among key people saying things like "Why can't we keep brakes on our vehicles?"

I still have friends there too and not much has changed in that dept. unfortunately.

As far as the engine I like the Powerstroke but am a little gunshy due to the recent startup problems it had (excusable) and the fact Ford is not renewing their contract with International to make diesels for them...

I have an '02 F-150 and would still consider another Ford but Chevy is looking better and better...
Old 04-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks LanceK, I'm actually famaliar with Ford's brake issues and agree that having to change rotors with every set of pads is a bit much. My point was that even though Ford's brakes are less than idea, Chevy's brakes are much worse.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:14 PM
LanceK
Pro

What makes you say Chevy's brakes are much worse?

I don't have first hand experience with recent Chevy trucks, but from the probably hundreds of threads I've been reading on various truck/diesel forums the concensus (far from statiscally accurate mind you) seems to be Ford loses in the brake dept. Couple that with my personal experiences and you see why it worries me.

Maybe you have some better information.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Dave
Race Car

Only the personal experience I mentioned previously. Technically, the experience was with a small fleet of late 90's Chevys, as the leases were up they were replaced with Fords. Yeah, the Fords would need pads every 20-25k miles and the rotors were usually replaced due to cracking at every pad change but we still considered it to be a big improvement over the Chevys. The 3500s would start off OK but within a few thousand miles the brakes would start to feel a little mushy, a set of pads would last 10-14K miles and the mushy feel would be back in just a couple thousand miles. On my vehicle we went so far as to flush the fluid and replace all the flexible lines, when that didn't help the master cylinder was changed and then the calipers and rotors. Nothing helped and the down time for brakes every 4 months 9times 6 trucks) was getting to be too much.
If it helps, the chevys were all 3500 series, mostly crewcab, 4wd, single wheel with 8' utility bodies, 1995-2000. The Fords were all crew cab F-350s, 4wd, single wheel with 9' utility bodies (one was an 8'), 2001-2003. All trucks were stocked with a lot of heavy tools and spares, probably 4 tons when the beds were empty. The Chevys always felt like they were overloaded (rated 9500# IIRC) the Fords were rated for more (11k and change I think) and even when loaded past this they felt like they'd take a lot more. Trailers were towed on occasion and the Chevys would have the same saggy suspension and poor braking that they had when the load was in the bed, the Fords handled towing pretty easily.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:53 PM
LanceK
Pro

Good info.

I'm surprised by the brakes as it goes against current opinion of the masses. But who the heck knows. Sometimes I just feel like flipping a coin and going with it...

I'm curious about the saggy suspension thing. Ch evy seems a little more aggressive on their tow ratings and having the independ front doesn't make sense. I'm not sure about their rear suspension and how it stacks up against the Ford.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Dave
Race Car

There were changes in the newer trucks, keep in mind the vehicles I delt with were all 1995-2000. back then chevy's 4wd trucks sat at almost the same height as their 2wd trucks, add a ton of steel, brass and copper and they started to look like low riders. Towing was less of an issue for the fleet than GVWR so I didn't pay much attention to tow ratings. The Fords eventually did spend some time hauling large generators and compressors but I doubt they were over 5000 lbs.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:01 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I bought a new tow vehicle. It was a strange opportunity that could have been good or bad. Here is the story:

I am literally looking at a specific 04 F250 PSD. My father in law the used car dealer calls me on my cell. He says there is an 01 F350 Crew Cab 4wd Powerstroke Dually at an auction the next day. I said I would be interested in checking it out. I meet him at the auction on Monday. He didn't tell me it was in the inoperable auction area due to a blown engine
(as per the auction company). The truck is very clean. 42k on the odo. Lariat LE. Totally loaded. The blown engine worrie$ me alot. I am sure an engine for one is not cheap but it does have a 100k warranty on the engine. I think to myself, "Maybe I can get it fixed under warranty?" I make a few calls to my few Ford connections. They both tell me the truck has an "intact" powertrain warranty. That makes me feel a little better. I make one more call to check on engine price and availability. My friend finds a brand new in the crate engine complete for $5000. This is starting to look even better. Well I think about it for awhile (15min). The truck is on the block. They start the bidding at $24000. No takers. $23k. $22k still no bidders. They ask for an opening bid. What the hell I'll bid $10k. That started the ball rolling. 5 people bid it up to $16.5. That is when I start. I bid $17K the other guy bids $17.1k. Finally It gets to $17.9k. I bid $18.5 to see if the guy will give up. He does. I get the truck (with the "bad motor").

TO BE CONTINUED
Old 04-10-2004, 01:22 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

The next day I get the truck towed to my house. I want to give it the once over before I take it to the dealer for my NEW replacement engine. I check the oil: fine. Check the fuel: fine. Check the batteries: deader than sh*t. Won't hold a charge. I also check to see if the engine is locked up by turning the crank nut with a big wrench. Much to my amazement it spins freely with compression resistance. Now I am excited.

I don't have any time to get batteries, so I will do it tomorrow.

I pick up a couple of batteries the next day and intall them. Here is the moment of truth. I hit the key............ ......Nothing! I check all the battery cables and grounds and try again........still nothing. I get under the truck and check out the starter. It is very crusty but it looks like it is easy to pull out . I pull out the starter and bench test it. It is totally locked up. I decide to pick up a starter another day. That day happened to be today (friday). After checking about 5 places for a starter, I end up getting one a the Dealer: $260. Not bad I guess. It is a gear reduction starter. They usually cost a little more.

The first thing I do when I get home is install the starter. The suspense is killing me. I get in the truck and turn the key. It cranks and cranks and cranks. Nothing I give it one more try. I crank it and it starts I can't believe it. I let it idle for a bit and then turn it off an check the fluids. Everything looks great. I start it again and it starts up immediately. I take it for a slow test run down my road (it is not a public road). It shifts perfectly, the brakes work great etc.

I was prepared to buy an engine but I got lucky. I guess it is payback for the Porsche engine that I paid $6500 for and never received .

There is something to be said for kharma.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:48 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Here is a pic of my new to me truck. I am not too fond of the Gold stripe but the price was right

Last edited by sprbxr; 09-08-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:49 AM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

Here is the "Warning Sign" to prevent people from bidding on it

Last edited by sprbxr; 09-08-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:48 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I think Powerball is calling your name!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Way cool Justin, can't wait to get yer butt to the track!! You have a KILLER trailer, NICE truck...now how 'bout the "Track Rocket" you're gonna use?? Huh? Huh??
Old 04-13-2004, 11:17 PM
sprbxr
Rennlist Member

That is the next thing on my list. It is coming home tomorrow for the transformation. There will be a whirlwind of activity at the new shop.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Excellent, I think another Richmond visit is in order here SOON.

...someone has some "new to them and too big for ME" Fikses enroute.

Quick Reply: Duramax/Allison vs. Powerstroke/Torqushift