pave sebring.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 10:28 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, Geneman is NOT advocating smoothing Sebring. But the author of the Jalopnik article was and THAT was who JLS was referring to.

dgrobs, I can't wait to show you some driving awesomeness by JLS at Sebring. Insane! Maximum commitment!
Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding my friend. Humbled by your comments! Long time no see........
Old 03-18-2021, 10:38 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Oh man. I thought he was talking about G.
Looks like I’m the one who can’t read.
Sorry Juan. Really sorry.
I’ll go put on my pointy hat and go sit in the corner now.
I honestly thought that was aimed at Frank. My bad. My really bad. Again, sorry Juan.
Hey no worries Sir! Not criticizing Frank at all. My cynical self wonders if the article was written with a clear belief that Sebring must be smoothed or just as click bait to maintain a paycheck as a writer. from the original article: "Isn’t twelve continuous hours of racing strenuous enough, regardless of the surface? Why do we need to subject modern cars and racers to such a beating? If the track were to be repaved, lap times would plummet as cars would be able to set up properly and race the way they were built to race. Do we want to see fast cars going fast, or do we want to see multi-million dollar prototypes get the **** kicked out of them for no reason at all?

As a long-time fan of the sport, I’ve watched this surface deteriorate for years, and it’s time for enough to be enough. Please, for the love of racing, repave Sebring International Raceway."

He poses the question, "Do we want to see fast cars going fast, or do we want to see multi-million dollar prototypes get the **** kicked out of them for no reason at all?" Will he then argue that we shouldn't race when its wet (since we can't go all out)? Drive the car and the track that is under you. OEM's learn a lot during the 12 hr grueling test and apply some of that knowledge to our everyday cars too.

BTW dgrobs, I'm enjoying PK's posts about your progress! Keep it up and listen closely to PK. He is "The Whisperer".
Old 03-18-2021, 10:40 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
mountain biking in florida with roots and rocks? who knew?
I know, right? Who knew we even have mountains..... Cheers
Old 03-18-2021, 11:17 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Hey no worries Sir! Not criticizing Frank at all. My cynical self wonders if the article was written with a clear belief that Sebring must be smoothed or just as click bait to maintain a paycheck as a writer. from the original article: "Isn’t twelve continuous hours of racing strenuous enough, regardless of the surface? Why do we need to subject modern cars and racers to such a beating? If the track were to be repaved, lap times would plummet as cars would be able to set up properly and race the way they were built to race. Do we want to see fast cars going fast, or do we want to see multi-million dollar prototypes get the **** kicked out of them for no reason at all?

As a long-time fan of the sport, I’ve watched this surface deteriorate for years, and it’s time for enough to be enough. Please, for the love of racing, repave Sebring International Raceway."

He poses the question, "Do we want to see fast cars going fast, or do we want to see multi-million dollar prototypes get the **** kicked out of them for no reason at all?" Will he then argue that we shouldn't race when its wet (since we can't go all out)? Drive the car and the track that is under you. OEM's learn a lot during the 12 hr grueling test and apply some of that knowledge to our everyday cars too.

BTW dgrobs, I'm enjoying PK's posts about your progress! Keep it up and listen closely to PK. He is "The Whisperer".
Thanks for this post. I agree with you about Sebring. The toll that track takes on my car is secondary to the beating my body takes every time I drive it. Character is character, and Sebring tops the list in that category. My body takes it worse than my car does.

Thanks for your understanding and kind words.

Yes, PK is the whisperer for sure. He made me a lot better in not a lot of time.

Would love to see some of your video from Sebring. One of these days, I’ll actually learn how to drive that track correctly.

Be well, and thanks again for your understanding. I’m gonna take the pointy hat off now. Lesson learned.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:56 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Thanks for this post. I agree with you about Sebring. The toll that track takes on my car is secondary to the beating my body takes every time I drive it. Character is character, and Sebring tops the list in that category. My body takes it worse than my car does.

Thanks for your understanding and kind words.

Yes, PK is the whisperer for sure. He made me a lot better in not a lot of time.

Would love to see some of your video from Sebring. One of these days, I’ll actually learn how to drive that track correctly.

Be well, and thanks again for your understanding. I’m gonna take the pointy hat off now. Lesson learned.
"pointy hat" i remember those days. Don't be so hard on yourself. Look forward to meeting you personally one day!

PK has a lot of my video. I have some of my videos posted up on You Tube ( https://www.youtube.com/user/AlterEgoRacing/videos ) I have to update and upload more from the newer cars but these will give you a flavor of my POV from a 2 liter vintage car on DOT to a Cup then on to GT3R (997 and 991).

Here is a link to March 2020 on a 991 GT3R (997FL's 991 GT3R)
Since its multiclass racing the overall position is misleading. P1 was Travis on the Audi Prototype!

Last edited by Juan Lopez; 03-18-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:08 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 631 Likes on 311 Posts

Juan hope you are well watched you at Sebring a few weeks ago entertaining as always, stay well
Rich
The following users liked this post:
Juan Lopez (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 02:21 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Juan hope you are well watched you at Sebring a few weeks ago entertaining as always, stay well
Rich
Rich! all great here and trust the same with you. It was quite an interesting weekend! Cheers
Old 03-18-2021, 03:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

If they repave Sebring, what are all these people building Safari cars gonna do?

For me, Sebring is too far away to go only to have something unpredictable break because of the roughness of the surface. Last time I went, my ignition switch failed on Friday and I lost the whole weekend. An axle or such one could plan for, but an ignition switch, come on. It is to the point of ridiculousness IMHO.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:11 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Going through turn 17 with all 4 tires on the ground is for novices.
mglobe (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Having just spent the weekend at Sebring, I can’t imagine running that track without the bumps. They are literally part of the challenge/fun.
The following 2 users liked this post by mglobe:
9114609048 (03-27-2021), ProCoach (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awrryan
Going through turn 17 with all 4 tires on the ground is for novices.
I think even 3 tires is pushing it
Old 03-24-2021, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Rough

Maybe the Sebring track should be fixed up. It was rough when I drove there 44 years ago, so I can't imagine what it's like today.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:13 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9114609048
Maybe the Sebring track should be fixed up. It was rough when I drove there 44 years ago, so I can't imagine what it's like today.
Now that’s a Sebring post card.

“Wish you were here” right over the top.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:31 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,790 Likes on 934 Posts

Pave Sebring and give up this??

ProCoach (03-26-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 02:27 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Pave Sebring and give up this??
Man, watching that rear tire move laterally sooo much was tons of fun.

Quick Reply: pave sebring.....