Sponsored by:

Tiger's Rollover

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 07:59 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
He was in a hurry to get to the Waffle House.
this made me laugh out loud
Old 02-24-2021, 08:01 PM
Bull_D
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

The coverage, and response from sheriff's office has been interesting. They seemingly have fallen all over themselves to discount any chance of impairment. Fair enough, I hate the quick-lynch media these days. However, there is a history here. So today, they already come out and say there are no charges? What would have been the case if, when he crossed to the other lane, he had hit someone head on? Would there have been fault found then? Regardless of the reason, clearly he was speeding. No charge for that? Why is it necessary to decide charges in less than 24 hrs anyway? I do wish him well. His rehab is going to be a beotch. He is very likely to be a very hobbled old man...
Old 02-24-2021, 11:51 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
That spot is notorious for serious accidents, some fatal
I live a couple miles from there and pass that intersection minimum 3x a week. You could go 100mph in a pickup truck and not crash. That spot isn't anything special. Some collisions have happened at the intersection like any intersection but the road is quite wide there and the signals are designed for prolonged yellows and red before green to account for the extra speed of the hill. Rarely do people leave the highway and only dumb people do it or someone did something dumb. In fact problems are so rare that trees separate northbound from southbound traffic. There isn't much worse things to hit than a mature tree. On the parallel street off the "Hill" uses much safer K-rail separation because the road is more windy and people are dumb. But you could uneventfully go 100mph on that street too. Both streets are 45mph and wide.

Originally Posted by Bull_D
Regardless of the reason, clearly he was speeding. ...
Maybe but there is no way to know that. I know someone who mistook the brake for gas and drove through their garage door. Why can't Tiger hit the median bounce the car abruptly hit the gas instead of brake and shoot off into the opposing lane especially in a car he does not own? We take for granted our skill and other's lack of skill. When my kid turned 16 and got licensed I immediately signed her up for a performance driving school. One of my goals was to move her beyond her comfort zone and loose control off the track gather herself and safely reenter the track. I know experienced people who have fallen asleep on the highway left the tarmac felts the bumps and yanked the steering wheel back on the tarmac and rolled their car.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:41 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 376 Posts

How is it that so far no one has commented on the sign “Welcome to Rolling Hills Estates”? It even tells you the hills cause rolling.

Hope he has a full and speedy recovery.
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 AM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

A friend who was a salesman at Porsche of Orlando tells the story of the day, many years ago, when Tiger Woods called the shop and inquired about a GT3. He had apparently seen one in the player parking lot at a recent golf tournament. At the time, Tiger was still married and living in a gated community in Windermere, near Orlando. The salesman told Tiger they had a black GT3 in stock. Arrangements were made to deliver the car to Tiger's home. This is a true story. A little more than a week later, Tiger called the salesman back and instructed him to come get the car. "It almost killed me...several times," he explained. Tiger took a significant hit financially on the return.
mig7410 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I live a couple miles from there and pass that intersection minimum 3x a week. You could go 100mph in a pickup truck and not crash. That spot isn't anything special. Some collisions have happened at the intersection like any intersection but the road is quite wide there and the signals are designed for prolonged yellows and red before green to account for the extra speed of the hill. Rarely do people leave the highway and only dumb people do it or someone did something dumb. In fact problems are so rare that trees separate northbound from southbound traffic. There isn't much worse things to hit than a mature tree. On the parallel street off the "Hill" uses much safer K-rail separation because the road is more windy and people are dumb. But you could uneventfully go 100mph on that street too. Both streets are 45mph and wide.

All I know, brother, is that whenever we would have to run a motorcade in that part of LA, using SUV's (which Tiger was also using), our LAPD liasons would always tell us to be very careful when heading down that hill. Uphill, no problem, but downhill, it ws a different story.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:43 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm curious about what caused such a serious injury to his right leg? Typically we see the more significant injuries to to the drivers left leg from side impacts or tire/wheel well intrusion into the driver's compartment. The right leg tends to be a little more protected. Possible safety design issue? Some vehicles are now equipped with knee protection airbags and I imagine during a roll-over one's leg could raise enough that when that airbag went off it could brake a leg. Although, from what I've seen, those airbags tend to fairly shallow. The foot/ankle could have slammed into peddles to cause those fractures, but the leg is more puzzling to me. Recovery wise, especially for golf, the ankle will likely be his biggest challenge.
Old 02-25-2021, 12:21 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

According to several reports I read, that sort of injury is common in that type of accident...when the driver is placing extraordinary pressure on the brake pedal just as the car strikes a solid object. The energy is transferred through the leg with enough force to break the bones. It's common to see pilots of private planes with two broken arms following a fatal crash into terrain as they continued to fly the plane right into the ground.
The following 2 users liked this post by PLNewman:
Maxant13 (02-27-2021), zip465 (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 02:03 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 451 Likes on 334 Posts

He was driving a loaner 2021 Hyundai Genesis GV80. It would be interesting to see what kind of data the vehicle black box has. Also if he was actively texting then the phone and cell phone tower records will show it.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:03 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
All I know, brother, is that whenever we would have to run a motorcade in that part of LA, using SUV's (which Tiger was also using), our LAPD liasons would always tell us to be very careful when heading down that hill. Uphill, no problem, but downhill, it ws a different story.
That road is near straight that's why they direct any trucks down this road, with gravel trap, and forbid trucks on the parallel road crenshaw which had more turns. I have lived there for 50 years driving all kinds of SUV broncos, expeditions, 2 suburbans, and fullsize ram diesel. I could drive 100mph down hawthorne and not crash and I have no skill. You could drive 150mph down that street. The tiger crash site is well beyond the intersection at blackhorse. The jumped median and destroyed "welcome to rolling hills" sign are at the exact same spot quite a distance from the intersection. That median point is open to the other direction of traffic. You are not supposed to Uturn there but cops do it and every once in a while the signal is out and the back up is killer and drivers will u-turn there too. If you hit that part of the median and take out the sign you will be a passenger in your car going for a ride. Speed could be an issue but it is also the conditions of the initial upsetting of the car nailing that point of the median. Basically if you hit that spot tires are leaving the ground. I went right by the accident site within minutes of the accident and noted the missing sign thinking what knucklehead took out the sign? I could not see the tigermobile. In fact a neighbor perched up high on the hill heard the crash and called it in. He actually directed the police to the scene because the cops could not see the tigermobile until they got out of the copcar and looked over the side.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:05 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
According to several reports I read, that sort of injury is common in that type of accident...when the driver is placing extraordinary pressure on the brake pedal just as the car strikes a solid object. The energy is transferred through the leg with enough force to break the bones.
Exactly why you should pull your hands and feet in just before you're about to run into something
Old 02-25-2021, 10:13 PM
Four Ring Circus
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I would hope some commenters on here would remember that this guy is not only an athlete and celebrity, but also a private person with flaws, with kids (he seemed to be in heaven playing with his son a couple months ago in a family tourney), etc. There’s no Ned to speculate on his future golf career, injuries, causes of accident, lapses of sobriety.
I have no use for our celebrity culture these days (on occasions when I have had celebrity encounters I really couldnt care less), and it would be nice if people showed concern, but otherwise left him alone.
speedy88 (02-26-2021)
Old 02-26-2021, 04:05 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

That's why Ned was banned I'm pretty sure.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:31 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was interesting that the first reports, were all reporting no skid marks as if that meant something. I would imagine with the arrival of ABS there are never skid marks anymore.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by DDun911
I thought it was interesting that the first reports, were all reporting no skid marks as if that meant something. I would imagine with the arrival of ABS there are never skid marks anymore.
I'll bet the skid marks were all related to the Code Brown nature of the event

Quick Reply: Tiger's Rollover