Sponsored by:

Essential Tools for Track days

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2021, 03:55 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I saw you’re name on our Mid-O roster. Sweet...
Yeah, that's always a good one.......lotsa good peeps from both NNJR and MOR.

Last edited by gbuff; 02-18-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:56 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

If he heeds the advice in this thread, by the time the OP finally gets to the track, he’s gonna be pretty waisted.
Between the martinis and cocaine, how’s he gonna drive at all?
And once the hookers finally get done with him.....

Rennlist at her finest!
Maybe so, but he'll be able to fix ANYTHING!
Old 02-18-2021, 04:13 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by gbuff
Yeah, that's always a good one.......lotsa good peeps from both NNJR and MOR.
I wanna come out more than just our event, especially with the new to me 981S that’s being track modified and prepped as I type. That track is pure Cayman heaven.
What are the other events you’re doing there this season? I’ll try to get to some of them.
What dates and regions ?
Old 02-18-2021, 04:27 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

I wanna come out more than just our event, especially with the new to me 981S that’s being track modified and prepped as I type. That track is pure Cayman heaven.
What are the other events you’re doing there this season? I’ll try to get to some of them.
What dates and regions ?
pm sent
Old 02-18-2021, 06:05 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

The list of stuff you need to take to the track!
And painter's tape
Old 02-19-2021, 04:42 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 1,804 Posts

I perfer a margerita machine and a hot tub for watching the races.

For de days a basic tool kit, obd scanner, jack, stands and impact gun. If i cant fix it with that im going home.

Oh and hose clamps, only because i had one on a rad hose snap after a session once.

The following users liked this post:
Mike Roblin (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 04:44 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper

You win!!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:06 PM
amurph182
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 62 Posts

I drive my cayman to and from the track so I try to bring as little as possible, but I’ve basically adopted the philosophy of “if you need something once, you can probably borrow it at the track. After you’ve had to borrow it twice or you couldn’t find someone with it the first time, just bring it with you.”

so basically I bring everything needed for a brake job (jack, stands, pads, rotors, tools), fluid top off (oil, coolant, brake fluid), jump starter, air compressor, valve stems, a couple of wheel bolts, etc. Somehow also manage to cram in a camp chair, soft cooler, and a one person pop up canopy that fits perfectly across the parcel shelf behind the seats.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:23 PM
gbuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by De Jeeper

For de days a basic tool kit, obd scanner, jack, stands and impact gun. If i cant fix it with that im going home.

Oh and hose clamps, only because i had one on a rad hose snap after a session once.

Wow.
The Min would fit in the cab of that thing.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:47 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by amurph182
I drive my cayman to and from the track so I try to bring as little as possible, but I’ve basically adopted the philosophy of “if you need something once, you can probably borrow it at the track. After you’ve had to borrow it twice or you couldn’t find someone with it the first time, just bring it with you.”

so basically I bring everything needed for a brake job (jack, stands, pads, rotors, tools), fluid top off (oil, coolant, brake fluid), jump starter, air compressor, valve stems, a couple of wheel bolts, etc. Somehow also manage to cram in a camp chair, soft cooler, and a one person pop up canopy that fits perfectly across the parcel shelf behind the seats.
That's a pretty good way to look at it. I try to bring enough stuff to do my own sway bar adjustments and pad swaps and other emergency repairs that I want to get done quickly between sessions, but if I'm running out of space, I'll trust my friends with well-equipped trailers to help me out.

Likewise, I know in a pinch that my friends that trailered street legal cars to the track will help get my car home. Helps eliminate some of those last few excuses.

Last edited by sjfehr; 02-21-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:41 PM
m3bs
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
We used to have a guy show up with just a fold up chair and news paper He would go out lap the field, then come in and back to his paper.

He was a racer (in a different car and series) and his car was very well prepared so never had issues that needed attention at the track. Always envied that guy.
I try to be that guy. I spend enough time and money for track days, I don’t want to spend them working on the car. During the many years I was instructing, I didn’t have time to work on it anyway. As such I only bring a small box of basic hand tools and virtually no spares. One advantage of tracking the same car for 22 years is that you get a good handle on how long things last. In 30 years, I’ve only had a DNF at two events. Knock on wood......
The following users liked this post:
Glenn R (02-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Essential Tools for Track days