Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

March zone 2 VIR

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 67 Posts

NASA is on. They’re taking our money, anyway.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:23 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
NASA is on. They’re taking our money, anyway.
So is Chin and HOD, 3/4-3/7. Can’t wait.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:05 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NaroEscape
That's Potomac's event, which I think is always at th end of August. The March DE is run by Zone 2 and is still on their calendar....as is the NASA Mid Atlantic. Gonna be busy on the track! lol.

i don't see a 2021 event on the Zone 2 calendar nor on the Motorsportreg site. My gut is telling me the Zone 2 VIR event is not going to happen...at least not in March as usual.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:21 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 594 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony42hat
i don't see a 2021 event on the Zone 2 calendar nor on the Motorsportreg site. My gut is telling me the Zone 2 VIR event is not going to happen...at least not in March as usual.
?? That screen shot was from the Zone 2 event Calendar. Still shows as of today.
https://zone2.pca.org/zone-2-calendar/

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-15-2021, 04:17 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

So Zone 2 and NASA are scheduled for the same weekend.

Both have it on their schedule from 3/19-3/21.

Joint event because both groups think it may be low registration because of the virus?

What am I missing?
Old 02-15-2021, 05:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,747 Posts

No events at VIR have been low attendance since the reopening and use of the track last summer. The track calendar is JAMMED UP TIGHT.

Typically, both Zone 2 and NASA-Mid Atlantic have good attendance at VIR.

I don't know if a joint event is even possible, per PCA rules... Too many differences between the orgs, insurance, contracts with the track, daily schedule, not to mention culture...

NASA-Mid Atlantic runs a Drivers Ed, several groups of racing, Test and Tune and they let cars out onto the circuit before all the previous session cars are back in, it's so tight.

This logjam needs to be broken or someone who's signed a contract with the track needs to clarify that they're there, that weekend. This is not cool...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-15-2021, 05:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
No events at VIR have been low attendance since the reopening and use of the track last summer. The track calendar is JAMMED UP TIGHT.

Typically, both Zone 2 and NASA-Mid Atlantic have good attendance at VIR.

I don't know if a joint event is even possible, per PCA rules... Too many differences between the orgs, insurance, contracts with the track, daily schedule, not to mention culture...

NASA-Mid Atlantic runs a Drivers Ed, several groups of racing, Test and Tune and they let cars out onto the circuit before all the previous session cars are back in, it's so tight.

This logjam needs to be broken or someone who's signed a contract with the track needs to clarify that they're there, that weekend. This is not cool...
I agree, hence my post above (as well as my confusion).

Peter, you're the VIR Guru here. What's the scoop with the scheduling conflict?

I need to know who to register with.

Also, you available at the track any day from 3/4-3/7? I'm there with HOD and Chin back to back for 4 days. Maybe some beers or dinner one night?
Old 02-15-2021, 06:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I agree, hence my post above (as well as my confusion).

Peter, you're the VIR Guru here. What's the scoop with the scheduling conflict?

I need to know who to register with.

Also, you available at the track any day from 3/4-3/7? I'm there with HOD and Chin back to back for 4 days. Maybe some beers or dinner one night?
I don't know. Usually, before the season begins in earnest, organizations who have historic dates (particular weekends for the last several years) usually have date equity, or are given first shot to be there again that same weekend in the current year.

Since Covid, that is OUT. Nada. Few tracks even publish their private rental schedules anymore, VIR is no exception.

Every indicator I have is that NASA Mid-Atlantic is on the full course March 19-21. I just got a email and FB blast from them ten minutes ago.

We'll know by March 4th, if not before.

Bruce, for sure we'll get together at HOD or Chin over those days. I KNOW I'm going to be there for that...
Old 02-15-2021, 09:03 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 876 Likes on 542 Posts

PCA does not do joint events with any other car club because of insurance requirements. They can co-promote, participate in, etc., but one group has to carry the insurance and it is their event. So no such thing as a NASA / PCA joint event.

I'm pretty sure tracks in the Northeast are publishing calendars when they are set, but with Motorsport Reg and Club Reg, it's easy enough to find most dates. Maybe we need Dale's Schedule again!
Old 02-15-2021, 09:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

VIR does not publish the private rental schedule. Hasn't since post-Covid reopening.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:46 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 594 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
PCA does not do joint events with any other car club because of insurance requirements. They can co-promote, participate in, etc., but one group has to carry the insurance and it is their event. So no such thing as a NASA / PCA joint event.

I'm pretty sure tracks in the Northeast are publishing calendars when they are set, but with Motorsport Reg and Club Reg, it's easy enough to find most dates. Maybe we need Dale's Schedule again!
Actually....
PCA has done many races in conjunction with BMW. And I know they've done them with POC out west.
The following users liked this post:
ProCoach (02-15-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 08:55 AM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

?? That screen shot was from the Zone 2 event Calendar. Still shows as of today.
https://zone2.pca.org/zone-2-calendar/
Ah, I was looking at the "Zone 2 Driver Education" under the Calendar tab and not the "Zone 2 Events Calendar" tab. Odd that it wouldn't be posted on their driver education events tab and it isn't on Motorsportreg not to mention NASA seems to have the track that weekend.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:30 PM
Deansdream
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 208 Posts

Very confusing. It's on the Potomac site but not listed to register on either Motorsports or Clubregistration
Old 02-16-2021, 03:20 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 308 Posts

Actually....
PCA has done many races in conjunction with BMW. And I know they've done them with POC out west.
May have been that way in the past but for the last few years PCA National's stance has been to only allow joint events with other PCA regions. The program I manage for our local region has been hit hard by this and has basically rendered us to doing 1-2 events per year since on our own we don't have enough participants to afford renting the track and hosting the event.

BUT... If someone can get this changed I'd love to get back to doing joint events as it can be beneficial to the smaller clubs trying to minimize their downside risk of hosing an event.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:38 PM
shizon
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Two of my fellow CIs that usually do that event for Zone 2 confirmed there's no Zone 2 event that weekend at VIR. The NASA event is the event. Hopefully they can get the websites updated correctly soon.

Quick Reply: March zone 2 VIR