Sponsored by:

Newbee misc prep questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:45 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbee misc prep questions

Another newbee dumb question - where can I order the number decals for my car (to use in autocross and DE events)?

1. Also which is better to use vinyl or metal? I had heard that vinyl ones fall off, and metal ones are more secure. But vinyl are less risk to the cars finish.

2. Also does should I put tape on the headlights? Any other areas to tape??

3. Do you modify your stock tire pressures for DE or autocross events?

Just tyring to educate myself. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:17 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

vinyl sticks - but magnets are easier to remove and you can reuse them as you please. vinyl looks better but if you remove it you cant reuse it again - so pick a place on your car and leave it there.

tape on your headlights helps keep rock chips off the glass and it keeps the lens from shattering if it does break. good stuff. lots of ppl tape up the whole front clip to keep rubber/rocks from damaging the front. your choice.

yes you change tire pressures, but what the "ideal" pressure is will vary depending on your setup and what type of driving you'll be doing
Old 03-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Jerry
Instructor

In the Pano solo time has a ad and there is another source called kar kare. Don't use the shoe polish. I like the stick on plastic numbers. Solo time are reusable and kar kare are one time use.
Tires should be at 33lbs cold.

Last edited by Jerry; 03-24-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires are like underwear, everybody needs a different amount of wiggle room.

For instance, I started autocrossing my 83 944 on Pirelli P6000s. I ran them at 32psi on the street, but they performed best at autocross up at 38psi cold. The extra pressure helped to account for the soft sidewall. Now I'm running Kumho Victoracers on the same car. I put them at 36psi cold and nearly slid off the course. I've got them down to 32psi cold, but on recent advice am going to try even less. The basic advice I can give is to run a few psi more that what you do on the street and check out your tire wear. It should be even. If there's excessive wear on the edges of the tire, the pressure is too low. You could also try to make friends at the event with someone in a similiar car and ask them for tips. Most people are out there for fun and are willing to share info.

As for numbers, from what I remember, you're just starting out, so I would suggest sticking with the shoe polish. My club usually has a few bottles around and you can put the number on your rear quarter window easily. It removes easily with alittle window cleaner. The main reason I would be against numbers is that in my region you don't know what number you're going to get. Alot of the older autocrossers has season/lifetime numbers that they run. If you pick a number that someone else has already got, chances are as a new guy you'll get the shaft. Even if you try to pick a crazy number you think no one will have, chances are someone has already picked it! I would show up to the first couple events and scout everything out before buying anything.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:12 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

1. Painter's tape is popular to make numbers. It is highly visible, sticks well and doesn't leave allot of residue. Allot of folks use shoe polish, but corse works sometimes have a hard time reading your numbers. They also can smudge and bleed. Vinyl decals look nice, but do you want to buy a set and then have to peel them off after your event? You can get a set of magnetic numbers and letters. The look nice and are very easy to read. I ordered my numbers from eDecals . You should tape the leading edge of the magnet for DE's because air can lift them off at high speeds. You can also make your own magnetic numbers. Dick Blick Art Materials sells magnetic sheets for a very good price. You can use the sheet as a base and put vinyl number/letters on it or cut out your numbers/letters.

2. You don't need to tape off anything for autocrosses. You should read the rules of the DE's that you plan to attend. They should help you determine weather your headlights will need to be taped. I have a 12 mil 3M film on my headlights and they work great. I just put a single piece of tape across it to let the track workers know that my lights comply with the track rules so they don't black flag me. I am considering a front mask to protect the bumper during autocrosses. I don't want to think about what those orange cones will do to my bumper's paint. I'd rather sacrifice a cheap mask.

3. Ken has good advise regarding your tire pressures.

It sounds like you've got some fun planned for this season. Enjoy yourself!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:20 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

May want to tape off the aft wheel well openings, also in front of the rear wheel well opening, down near the rocker moldings..

Like others have said, tire pressures are unique to you, your car and your cars tires. There are general cold pressures, but try to achieve 40 psi hot front and rear for street tires.

With Pirelli asimmetricos (993) 205/50/17 and 255/40/17, I start at 34 front and 36 rear as a cold pressure setting. You may want to shoe polish the sidewall where it meets the tread to determine how much the tire is rolling over onto the sidewall..

Hope this helps!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:04 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm not sure what the metal numbers are. Try fastmeatballs.com for some very nice looking removable vinyl stickers that can be reused about a dozen times. The numbers on my car are from them. They will also do magnetics and permanent stickers in any shape you want, if that's your bag. George Grenier is redoing his site, so you may have to email or call him for info. He is fantastic to deal with and very friendly.

Taping the headlights and turn signals, fogs, etc. helps. Some guys use bras at the track but you have to be fastidious about dirt getting underneath and chafing the paint, as well as not leaving it on when it gets wet and then heated by the sun. For 1965 to 2002 911, 993, 996, 914, Boxster and Turbo's, elephantracing.com has magnetic track skins which you can put on your hood. I also have them on my car and find them to be effective at thwarting rock damage.

Quick Reply: Newbee misc prep questions