Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you need to?
Old 03-24-2004, 05:53 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes........It would get me probable one or two more events and hit the rivets. Flywheel is a dit brown so I will have it done, but as long as the entire engine is out and being rebuilt I wanted to see if anyone had any experence or recommendations.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I should clarify...
Do need to upgrade one or just replace an old one?

I run a spring centered clutch on my car. No difference from stock other than no rubber to get old an crack. Not really an "upgrade" however.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:24 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jim;

If your flywheel is overheated and your clutch material keeps disappearing, I think you need to learn to shift better, and I mean that constructively, not sarcastically.

My original clutch in my 84 944 (3rd owner) went over 100k miles and was perfect except the disc material wore out. My current clutch (OE rubber again) has somewhere near 50k, most of them track miles. If you learn to match revs well (both down AND upshift) you will not need to replace clutches and you'll save yourself a lot of money.

Your problem does not seem to be blowing the dampener, although I'm surprised you haven't. You can use the rubber dampener if you shift well, as there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. Spring centers generally will take more abuse, but they have there problems too. The others would definitely be elective. They are for higher HP usage, and so will be "overkill" on your NA.

Still, they don't hurt.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Jim Clark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I was not quite clear as to the question. Present clutch is in working order and has plenty of miles available. I was trying to get some feed back on any upgrades available and the usefullness of those upgrades. Utilization of a lighter set-up as to a justifiable performance gain. Even the utilization of a 944 Turbo kit to get the advantage of a bit more Porsche engineered strength for the track.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement 944NA