Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best in-car camera for people who don't care about cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020 | 10:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yep, the Road Keeper is the best inexpensive option with lap timing, auto on and off and hardwired to prevent a battery issue and obviate charging.

The more expensive systems all do this, the SmartyCam is triggered to record by speed, RPM or, g-load, the VBOX is triggered by speed, channel triggers or more complex, multiple conditions, the MoTeC V2 by speed or RPM. This is standard fare for the good stuff!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-28-2020 | 11:45 AM
bbinder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yep, the Road Keeper is the best inexpensive option with lap timing, auto on and off and hardwired to prevent a battery issue and obviate charging.

The more expensive systems all do this, the SmartyCam is triggered to record by speed, RPM or, g-load, the VBOX is triggered by speed, channel triggers or more complex, multiple conditions, the MoTeC V2 by speed or RPM. This is standard fare for the good stuff!
So now I am getting confused. Roadkeeper vs Catalyst. Aside from the in car coaching, what is the advantage to spending more to get the Catalyst?
Old 11-28-2020 | 11:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by bbinder
So now I am getting confused. Roadkeeper vs Catalyst. Aside from the in car coaching, what is the advantage to spending more to get the Catalyst?
Oh, goodness! We started talking about no-brainer video cameras. Not driver optimization tools.

Different tools completely. The power to make drivers better is many more times the difference in price between the two.

Different price points completely, obviously. The R-K is in the same range as the Solo 2 and adds video.

Different capabilities, if you just want to export videos to YouTube with speed and lap times easily, the Road-Keeper is the simple, easy and inexpensive solution.

When a Petit LeMans class winner, who’s already on the pole for a 55-car WRL race at VIR, can find another .4 listening to the Catalyst, you can find time, too.

PM me and let’s talk.

Last edited by ProCoach; 11-28-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2020 | 10:17 AM
MFGJR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've got a new one with mounts and I think a hardwire kit. I'd sell it all for $75 shipped.
Any thoughts on how the Roadhawk would work if mounted behind the driver, on the roll bar, rather than on the windshield?

I too am constantly sitting on the grid, strapped in without the GoPro turned on. So I bought the GoPro wireless remote to *solve* this--what the remote lacks in connection reliability, it makes up with its 90-second battery life... I should pop for a SmartyCam, but can't justify the price for my very occasional use.
Old 11-29-2020 | 10:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I have two nice SmartyCam HD GP 2.0 trade in cameras available for a reasonable price. Let me know.
Old 11-29-2020 | 01:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by MFGJR
Any thoughts on how the Roadhawk would work if mounted behind the driver, on the roll bar, rather than on the windshield?

I too am constantly sitting on the grid, strapped in without the GoPro turned on. So I bought the GoPro wireless remote to *solve* this--what the remote lacks in connection reliability, it makes up with its 90-second battery life... I should pop for a SmartyCam, but can't justify the price for my very occasional use.
It should work fine. I'm happy to send it to you to try and if it doesn't work you can send it back. Pay when your happy.
Old 11-30-2020 | 07:46 PM
Greg Phillips
Racer

Originally Posted by MFGJR

Works fine, I have it that way in one of the track cars. It has a tripod mount on top that you can use with a screw from the rollbar to mount. A little harder to get to the card but not that bad, although actually getting to the card when it is tight behind the rear view mirror is fiddly also.
Windshield mount gives you a great view of the track but the rollbar mount also shows what the driver is doing and you can also see the G2X LED display well, LCDs are not so easy to see.

Greg
Old 12-01-2020 | 08:30 PM
MFGJR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg Phillips
Works fine, I have it that way in one of the track cars. It has a tripod mount on top that you can use with a screw from the rollbar to mount. A little harder to get to the card but not that bad, although actually getting to the card when it is tight behind the rear view mirror is fiddly also.
Windshield mount gives you a great view of the track but the rollbar mount also shows what the driver is doing and you can also see the G2X LED display well, LCDs are not so easy to see.

Greg
Thanks, Greg. That's very helpful.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
It should work fine. I'm happy to send it to you to try and if it doesn't work you can send it back. Pay when your happy.
Kind offer, Matt, but not necessary. I'll give it a shot. Will PM you.

Frank

Quick Reply: Best in-car camera for people who don't care about cameras?