M96 Oil Pressure Drop

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 01:38 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,277 Likes on 1,807 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
just put a dry sumped ls3 in it.
Sure, if it was an E30, E36, S chassis Nissan, 350Z.... not for me in my 996 though.

Again, I want to prolong the current motor to the extent possible before having to motor swap it.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:41 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 180 Posts

CTS, is right. I would start thinking about a car with a better oil system. A 997.2 seems to be pretty reliable street car for the track but PDK may have some heat related issues you need to sort. I opted for a GT3.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:32 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
CTS, is right. I would start thinking about a car with a better oil system. A 997.2 seems to be pretty reliable street car for the track but PDK may have some heat related issues you need to sort. I opted for a GT3.
Not changing cars, this one will work until it don't. I hope that I can make that as long as possible. I get their does not appear to be a great solution to this problem and the deep sump / oil / accusump etc. are all just band aids at best and snake oil at worst to a problem where there is not sufficient incentivisation for development of a dry sump that can be sold to the masses in place of the "cheap" deep sump option most people think will be the be all end all of their oil issues. Didn't seem to work for Quadcammer and its clearly evident its not working for me. That leads me to getting by the best way possible until my hand is forced or I have everything I need to make a change that's not dictated to me by a failure.

I have been thinking about it - Not this one, its for sale and out of a cup car... but one like it.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:17 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I opted for a GT3.
Nice work, but a little bit like solving the problem of a small apartment by buying a townhouse
Old 11-24-2020, 10:44 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 624 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
No worries, the whole how full to run your oil is a whole debate amongst itself. If you’ve found what works for you, maybe best to forget all the bull**** the internet says anyway.
CTS (Chris) knows what he is talking about.

I came to the same conclusion and sold my 996 C2 and bought a 996 GT3.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:04 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 165 Posts

In a related thread member silk reported on his solution: a two-sided, T-shaped oil pickup based on aircraft designs, where something like that allows
airplanes to fly upside down. That design rotated sideways allows oil to be sucked in from whichever side of the oil pan has more oil!

That to me sounds like a strong solution to this problem, which should be produceable at reasonable cost, unlike the full dry-sump hog.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I tracked and raced my 2002 996 for 9 years. Fairly well maintained with an oil change after each race weekend. The motor ran ~50K trouble free track miles, with an added X51 oil pan and accusump. I had motor rebuild in 2015. Great car, still a blast to track and race.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:24 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by TRT41
I tracked and raced my 2002 996 for 9 years. Fairly well maintained with an oil change after each race weekend. The motor ran ~50K trouble free track miles, with an added X51 oil pan and accusump. I had motor rebuild in 2015. Great car, still a blast to track and race.
Thanks for the input :

Couple questions:

1. What was your general experience with oil pressure on track ?
2. Can you detail how the accusump worked for you - Did you experience regular pressure drops that were resolved/mitigated due to the accusump ? Can you give info on how the setup was installed, did you buy a kit ?
3. Did you add any oil cooling over and above the stock heat exchanger ?
4. What were you using for data collection, any logs you can share ?
5. Was the rebuild elective or due to failure ? How did the main bearings look ?
Old 11-29-2020, 10:34 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

^ Accusump is a waste of time and money.

Just listen to Cervelli.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:56 AM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by jdistefa
^ Accusump is a waste of time and money.

Just listen to Cervelli.
I've been listening and have gone back and read extensively his previous posts on this issue.

CTS has not (and it's his business, so I would not expect) offered suggestion on resolution that is currently available but I am appreciative for all his posts on the problem and his experience resolving it with his DS system, which, from the data he has posted - is 100% a robust fix. The market for a 996/997 system needs to show a demand for a system and maybe one could be developed.

I understand the problem is real, I understand low oil pressure is detrimental, to the point of failure to all engines being used in a high performance environment and am not going to pretend the issue does not exist or the band aid solutions are good enough, at least for me, the band aid solutions have proven to not be good enough.

I have a Motec ADL2 I was planning on selling but now am thinking I will put in the car for next season so I can pull better data and remove some of the questions that come with the absence of data.

Most of the suggestions given I have done, or are something along the lines of - buy a new car... While everyone has an opinion, If I was going to throw my hands up and buy a new car, I would not have made the post in the first place.

I have a plan for the car if the motor fails, for this issue or any other - it is not throwing waiting a year or whatever for a LN motor or even putting an M96 back in it, as I have said, trying to get the most of this setup while I can. I think the experience can be helpful for others who are in a similar boat - so I will continue to try to get good info, from smart and or experienced people who want to help.

Last edited by zbomb; 11-29-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:52 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

^ all the available info has already been provided. There's no mystery. And there's no magical solution. All the mods are bandaids that are risk mitigation strategies but the fundamental engine design is flawed re. track use - as are many wet sump designs.

The standard approach is the following:

1. Deep sump
2. 997 swirl pots
3. Slight oil overfill
4. Good quality oil (de-foaming agents) and frequent changes
5. Extra cooling (center rad, CSF rads, external oil cooler with fan pack)
6. Motorsport AOS

An accusump is a waste of time, money, complexity, weight. More data logging is, IMHO, a waste of time, unless you are just curious and want to see it for yourself. The problem is known. And I am speaking from experience (motor failures, builds, data logging).

You can choose to run less sticky tires and reduce g-loads.

If you want to continue to track the 996 with the above mods you simply have to accept the risk of engine failure. And if you're lucky enough to get 1-2 seasons of use out of it without failure then consider tearing it down for intermittent rod bearing replacement. Que sera.

Last edited by jdistefa; 11-29-2020 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:55 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Thanks for your input.

I am curious.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Thanks for your input.

I am curious.
No problemo!
Old 11-29-2020, 05:58 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Every time I get ready to put a full cage in my 996, I read one of these threads and doubt myself on it. I have spent the last year and about 20k on mods for my inherited 996 including wheels and wheel studs, tires, motorsport AOS, roll bar, brakes, water pump, coolant tank and some hoses, fuel injectors, spark plugs, center radiator, 200 cel cats, headers, muffler delete, softronic tune, fvd deep pan and baffles, tie downs, track mats, carplay stereo, hard top, camber plates, lowering springs (temp solution), lots of fluids, and I am sure I am overlooking things on this quick list. The car likes to fight me on being a track car and has liked to brake things. However, this last event a couple weeks ago went great though. No smoke or misfires or any issues like the other 2 times I took it this year. It really gave me confidence in the car. At the same time I know the engine will go sooner than later probably. At which point either turning it into a 4.0L or LS Swapping would be the way I went. If a 2800lb caged 996 had a 430hp and 425 torque and deep sumped LS motor in it, that would be one fast car I imagine. If I pour another 20k for suspension, cage and safety mods into the car and then engine goes and I LS swap, I am another 20k in. Well at the end of the day I am somewhere around 60k in mods plus a 25k donor for a tota of 85k. Then I should be able to do similar laptimes as a 165k (todays prices) 2018 GT3 and have all of the safety aspects of a caged dedicated track car as well. If I keep my appointment for a cage on Feb 1st then I will somehow justify it that way.

Quick Reply: M96 Oil Pressure Drop