Sponsored by:

Stick with street legal or go for a track car

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 10:45 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stick with street legal or go for a track car

I'm sure there are a bunch of you guys who have went from just having fun at the track in your sports car to owning a dedicated track car and maybe back. I would like to hear your thoughts. I own a C7 Z06 which I use as a dual track/street car. I started tracking it stock but then wanted more safety so I put in a harness bar and 6 point. I was of course spending a fortune replacing CCB rotors and pads so I put on the Giro-disc setup. After spending another fortune on Cup 2 tires ($2000/set) that last 3 days I have decided to buy forged 18's so I can run Pirelli scrubs which are much cheaper and last about the same amount of heat cycles. This prompted me to get an enclosed trailer so I can tow back and forth and not worry about things. Ah yes the slippery slope. I bought a 991 GT3 with the idea that I wouldn't drive the Corvette much on the street but I still do enjoy driving it on the street because of the manual trans, and of course I ended up tracking the GT3 a few times too(that has remained stock). All of this has lead me to the question of whether or not I would be better off with a track car. Heres a few thoughts.

-I live in Wisconsin (Road America is my home track) and the season is limited, I feel like its tough to use 2 sports cars so adding another seems tough
-I could ship a track car south in the winter but that seems like a lot to coordinate and expensive
-I love the idea of a lighter car thats easier on consumables. I have looked at older Cups and Radical's. Am I in fantasy land that these will be easier to deal with? I know brakes and tires last a whole season on the radicals but the other Mx seems higher
-I enjoy the fact that I can drop the cars off at the dealer if I don't feel like changing fluids, bleeding brakes, etc
-I usually do 12-18 track days a year
-I really want a lighter car for the track but it seems dumb to rip apart nice street cars

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:55 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Radicals and cups are likely to be more expensive than your current cars.

At 12-18x a year yes a dedicated car makes sense. And if you’re doing DE you might have more fun if you start racing or doing time trials.

How much of your track hobby is rooted in going fast in a cool car, getting better / self improvement, and are you interested in racing now or just doing DE and/or time trials?

Have you considered an arrive and drive series? That prevents you from doing a lot of the things you don’t want to do and you can do a formula car, prototype, or sedan without too much trouble.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:58 PM
Cirrusdriver
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No interest in racing at this point. I am still finding ways to improve as a driver and enjoy that. Maybe in a few years but for now I enjoy keeping the cars in one piece looking good
Old 10-11-2020, 11:05 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

I started going to the track with my daily driver - a tired 2000 Audi A4 quattro. I next bought a 1987 Porsche 944T with a half cage, stripped out, race suspension, etc. It was a street legal DE car.

Eventually I bought an I class Cayman with a full cage and went race. Last week I bought a 991.1 Cup car. I went from the Audi to the Cup in 14 years. Along the way I have had several tow vehicles and three different trailers.

A "compromise car", which handles both street and track, will always be a compromise car. That being said, you have to do what fits your budget but a dedicated race car is always going to be best. Keep in mind that driving on the street with a full cage is not recommended as you can split your head open with out a helmet.
The following users liked this post:
fnel1771 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 11:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Bigger car with more power will eat brakes and expensive tires. If you want that power, gotta pay up. Something like a 987.2 cayman will lower your costs, but your lap times will not be in the same range if youre hustling that vette

Alternatively, something like the elan np01 has nice consumable costs but obviously a track only downforce car, not a power car.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:33 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Ah yes, a 987.2 race-ready Cayman built for DE.
You would love it - I love(d) mine.
And after only 6 seasons of DE-only, it's for sale.
Would be lovely at Road America.
https://sstauto.com/listings/2009-ca...nual-for-sale/
Old 10-12-2020, 02:54 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't know man. I've been driving caged track only cars for 15 years. I just spent my Sunday fabricating a chassis mounted wing. But I'm jealous of the guys who roll up in the morning in their GT3/4, haul *** on track, and are long gone while I'm still dicking around loading trailers sweating my *** off. It's a lot of BS to deal with if you aren't racing competitively.
The following 3 users liked this post by Cory M:
craina (10-12-2020), gman3280 (10-13-2020), krell (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 03:57 AM
CharleyH
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I started down A similar. Started drag racing a Corvette. Then autocrossed it. Then started tracking it. Eventually it go to the piont where I was fast enough to need more safety and realized that my car was modified enough that it wasn’t a great track car and wasn’t a good street car. So I decided to get a race car. While I was searching for the right car I decided that if I was going this far I really wanted a car with decent downforce. I ended up going with Radicals and have really enjoyed them. Once you experience a lightweight downforce car with slicks and paddle shifting it is hard to consider anything else. It is hard to find a way to go faster for less. That car is light so consumables last a long time. The major cost is engine overhauls which are recommended every 40 to 100 hours depending on which engine you choose. Check out this SR3 Buyers Guide that I wrote to learn more about the cars, and if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Charley

https://radicalsportscarregistry.com...-buyers-guide/

Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

Just be mindful of your car's safety on the street, and any liability complications if you had an accident with so many non-DOT race parts.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:08 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

You already have one of the hurdles for a dedicated track car - a trailer and an enclosed one at that. I assume you have enough truck to pull it.

That said, I went from a dual purpose car to a dedicated track car and have never regretted it. Both cars are E36 M3s with the track car having a lot of track and safety upgrades. As a tool, the dedicated track machine is just better in every way. It's also nice to not need the car I drive on the track during the weekend to get me to work on the following Monday.

I really found out how much I like the dedicated car last year when I was able to return to the track, but I had to take the dual purpose car. Was not nearly as much fun - I was really surprised just how much I missed the track car. It's just so much more capable, comfortable, and safe on the track.

As you have already noticed, it costs a lot less to buy a track car than turn a nice street car into a track car. Also, you don't need to spend a whole lot if the goal is truly improving your driving. Miata, 944, E36/E46, etc can do that for a whole lot less dollars and if you can pedal one those fast you will be fast in anything. My first PCA instructor drove a Spec Miata. When I asked him why, his response was he could DE the Miata for the entire year for what is cost to buy one pair of rear tires for his Porsche.

Last edited by TXE36; 10-12-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:56 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

The answer to every question is “buy a race car”.
The second answer to every question is: miata/mx5. But in this case, buy Rick’s car.
The following users liked this post:
TXE36 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 04:05 PM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I've been going through the same dilemma as you for this past year. My 981 GT4 CS gets delivered to my house in a few days.....
Old 10-12-2020, 04:59 PM
DDun911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
The answer to every question is “buy a race car”.
The second answer to every question is: miata/mx5. But in this case, buy Rick’s car.
These debates always end there , lots of good of deals on racecars. They are the no compromise on safety choice.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:47 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

If you want to learn how to DRIVE, buy a car without all the nannies. Preferably one that has already been built and set up by someone else who knows what they are doing.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:05 PM
T&T Racing
Drifting

Received 347 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
If you want to learn how to DRIVE, buy a car without all the nannies. Preferably one that has already been built and set up by someone else who knows what they are doing.
+1....The best P-Car is 944 and non P-Car is the Miata. Buy a used race car not a street car to take to the track. Be patient and then pounce. That is what I did, getting the race car for 30 cents for each dollar spent by original owner. Greg Fordahl was the builder.

Quick Reply: Stick with street legal or go for a track car